Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Ultra rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 AM
menmia
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there somewhere that you can access all the Tech Tips for the different bikes? The nerd in me likes to have as much information as possible, so anything I can get my hands on about my 2007 Ultra is handy to have around.

I just assumed they were only available to the stealers, but if I don't ask then I don't find out.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:53 AM
onionfmr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSN711
NOTE: The screw was loctited...duh...wish I knew that going in...stripped the head, but was able to move it just enough. Going to have to someday get that screw out and replace it...but not now...it is fixed finally!
Glad it looks like you got it fixed!!! Hopefully, it ends up being the long term fix!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

That sucks when a bunch of guys can figure this crap out and trained Harley techs can't.And they wonder why they are losing money and can't sell new bikes.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:03 PM
SSN711
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Glad you got it fixed. FWIW, there's another Tech Tip (TT410) that covers '07 idle problems. If anyone is interested just email me and I'll forward it to you.

My bike sporadically but rarely, maybe once or twice a month, will idle high (~2k rpm) when first cranked cold. If I turn it off and restart it the problem usually disappears, and once it starts idling normally it continues for the rest of the day and usually for days or weeks to come. A tech friend told me his '07 did this and he fixed it by replacing the AIC valve. If mine gets bad enough I'll change it, but otherwise I'll live with it since it is not a big issue for me.
I would like that Tech Tip too if you don't mine.

Here's what I "think" was going on. The whole time it felt like a vacuum/air leak to me as this is the first thing I would look for on a carb bike. I checked the intake manifolds and the gaskets and found no leak. This is my first EFI bike. I thought the IAC was the problem but when the dealership replaced it and it didn't work, well...so, to the TPS and the engine temp sensor.

So, why the throttle stop screw? If it wasn't mentioned by a couple of people here, I would have never looked at that. But thankfully, we have a lot of people with a lot of years of knowledge in all sorts of areas on this forum.

The throttle plate was open just a crack allowing air in besides the IAC. This was like having a vacuum/air leak. By adjusting the screw back some the plate closed fully. Leak gone. Idle reset and back to normal. At least that is what I am thinking since I have no way to look at the ECM and the values.

BTW, anybody know where I can get a new throttle stop screw? It's not listed in the parts manual (probably because you aren't suppose to mess with it except a "trained" Harley technician...

Old 03-16-2010, 02:05 PM
SSN711
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FastHoss
That sucks when a bunch of guys can figure this crap out and trained Harley techs can't.And they wonder why they are losing money and can't sell new bikes.
Especially at the $100/hr the local Harley Dealership charges...well, actually they charge $30 per 1/2 hour.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:05 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SSN711:

Since this is your first EFI bike, you may be at the mercy of a Dealer unless you find someone with a TTS that can actually read your parameters. And yes, there is supposed to be a slight gap in the throttle plate. IIRC, it's somewhere ~0.003". From TT 410:

Engine speed is controlled by regulating the amount of air that is admitted into the engine. On Delphi fuel injected models, this is done with a throttle plate (or butterfly) and the IAC (Idle Air Controller). The throttle plate opening is set at the manufacturer. This is done by adjusting the throttle stop screw. When the engine is at idle, part of the air admitted into the engine comes from the throttle plate that is open slightly. The additional air required to maintain the desired idle speed then comes from the IAC passage. This is managed by the ECM. It is also important to understand that the ECM uses almost all of the engine sensors to manage idle speed. The following sensors however, are the most important in determining how and when to control the idle speed: Throttle position sensor, vehicle speed sensor, and the engine temperature sensor.

HTHs.

Last edited by WVULTRA; 03-16-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that's pretty normal for a Harley V-Twin. I thought the same thing for a while until I got use to it. I don't remember my '03 Ultra Classic shaking as much as my '09. Watching the horn that's mounted on the left side, it looks like it will break off at any time from the vibration.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 AM
aqucsai
1st Gear

I have a Heritage Softail 2007 that is running rough and sometimes when i stop at a light it will be idling at about 2k rpms..I have a mech trying to figure this out but what i need to know if anyone has had the same deal and can u help me with this..

Old 02-10-2013, 01:47 PM
gordon_reggie53@yahoo.com
Stage II
Default same idle problem

bought my 07 new and within a year it would sometimes sht off when you pulled the clutch in , but just occ. now with only 27,000 miles on it its doing it quite often orm or cold . wouldn't you know i took it to a dealer and it wouldn't do it so i'm at a loss .

Old 02-10-2013, 03:07 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gordon_reggie53@yahoo.com
bought my 07 new and within a year it would sometimes sht off when you pulled the clutch in , but just occ. now with only 27,000 miles on it its doing it quite often orm or cold . wouldn't you know i took it to a dealer and it wouldn't do it so i'm at a loss .
Try cleaning your throttle body & IAC with CRC MAP Sensor spray cleaner with the engine off but when you clean the IAC cycle it open & closed to remove the gunk also use a lint free cloth in the throat to keep the dirt from going in the motor.

Quick Reply: 2007 Ultra rough idle