Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail classic or touring model

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 05:02 PM
geezrglider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own both and love them both for different reasons, I must admit two up I always take the Ultra, my better half prefers the HSC.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:04 PM
JBA111
Road Captain

2up the Ultra cant be beat for comfortable ride. but one up the Ultra is still easy to handle rides great and gives ya some protection against the elements. the HSC is just one of the best looking Harleys ever built. and rides decent. so if you ride a couple hundred miles a day the HSC is a great bike. but if you do lots of 300plus days the Ultra will serve you great, and if your into 500mile days its Ultra hands down.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Gofer
Cruiser

Go for a bike with a Fairing. If I can only have one bike, it will always be one with a fairing and quick detach tour pak.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 PM
grw
Advanced

I have owned both and for all round comfort and handling - the Ultra hands down. Especially if yoru're ridng 2 up. Had both models for a while at the same time and found I almost always rode the Ultra. I just like having the wind protection and storage if needed even when riding single.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Do we get to pick the color for you too???

Seriously, you have to ask yourself "what do I want my bike to do for me?"..."what am I going to use my bike for?"
do you ride 6/7/10 thousand miles a year? do you have a passenger most of the time? do you travel a lot? do you want a trunk, fairing, radio?? Am I a around town guy, no trips, solo rider....
only you can answer these questions...

Me? I've owned 23 Harley's, everything from Sportys to Ultras...including a Moo Glide ( my only softail)...you can tour on any of them, but how comfortable do you want to be? For my taste, I'm a bagger guy, love the UC, Classics and now my Road Toad...I still miss my FXLR ( best Harley for me)

Sort of like girls, do you like Blonde's, Red Heads or Brunettes????
All are great!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's good to be the KING!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

My wife had deluxe one day on the way from Reno NV she complaint about comfort I gave her my Ultra to see if she feels better, from that day I rode her deluxe on long distance travel till she got her self an Ultra. Yes it's heavy Yes she dropped it very often mostly in parking lots but that doesn't deter her from riding or doing fig 8 or tight circles when our local HOG teaches riding skill practice.She had her Deluxe for 13k miles never laid it down.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:34 AM
toastedoat
Cruiser

I've had all 3 at the same time (07 Ultra, 03 RK, and 03 HSC). I found myself choosing between the Ultra (especially 2-up) and the HSC. The Heritage is a great, fun bike to ride, but I usually take it on shorter rides - nothing beats the Ultra for a longer ride. The RK I found the riding position kind of wore on me after about 30 minutes - it was a great bike, but to make it comfortable for me I would've had to do new bars, cables, etc. Being that I was out of work for 6+ months, I wound up having to sell a bike to get some money to pay the mortgage - I chose the RK because it was the least used of the 3. In a way I was sorry to see it go, but in the end the other 2 have (or will, once this damn weather gets better) made up for it.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:05 AM
Fitter64
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing I like best with the "King" is the versatility. I still like to be in the wind and making it a cruiser is just as easy as installing the windshield for the long haul. Always maintaining the touring ride. Once you have a fairing, there is a bit different perspective( plus tunes). All depends on personal opinion. All are great bikes and best of all, loose all your bungee cords. I loved my softtails and lowriders, but now at this point in life, Love the "KING".. not going back. I feel it's kinda like this..to this..

Old 03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain

I would say it depends on what you want or like,I owned a RK for bout a year and traded because I wanted something that had a radio and I loved the batwing fairing. Bought my 95 FLHTC and now own an 09 FLHX.Don't get me wrong the RK in my opinion had the best ride of all of them and looked good doing it.

Quick Reply: softail classic or touring model