Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 80732-09 SE Touring Mufflers/ Baffle Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:30 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts
Post New 80732-09 SE Touring Mufflers/ Baffle Change

Has anyone changed the baffles in the newest SE Touring mufflers, P/N 80732-09 with the changeable end caps? If so, what did you go with? After some looking, I have some Cycle Shack 1544 baffles on order and hope these 2" baffles perform better than the factory 1 3/4 outlets from the MoCo. I hope to pick up some HP and TQ over the factory baffles.

Drilling out the rivets was interesting- the stainless steel rivets are hard. Assuming the heat has hardened them over time, but carbide drills work wonders!!

Thanks for any feedback on your changes!!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:33 AM
jjr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size bit did you used to drill the, out?

Originally Posted by RK09RK
Has anyone changed the baffles in the newest SE Touring mufflers, P/N 80732-09 with the changeable end caps? If so, what did you go with? After some looking, I have some Cycle Shack 1544 baffles on order and hope these 2" baffles perform better than the factory 1 3/4 outlets from the MoCo. I hope to pick up some HP and TQ over the factory baffles.

Drilling out the rivets was interesting- the stainless steel rivets are hard. Assuming the heat has hardened them over time, but carbide drills work wonders!!

Thanks for any feedback on your changes!!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:48 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

0.185" is the rivet body diameter. I used a 0.205 bit (or greater) to drill out the head only. Good luck

Old 07-20-2010, 11:48 AM
enroma
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hello, new guy here. i have the same slip-ons on my '09 rk, and was looking at the same cycle shack baffles. have you finished this project? can you tell me how it sounds (i know that's subjective), and any hp/torque improvement? i had put on a set of samson fishtails and loved the sound but they were a bit harsh, so i'm looking for something in between. the cs baffles are way less then the bct.
you can email or pm me. thanks in advance.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:05 PM
jjr
Road Captain

Personally I love the sound, not too loud and just right for on the road. Also a nice sound at idle if your behind the bike. I really do not like LOUD mufflers anymore. Sorry I have not heard anthing comparable to compare to it.

Performance wise, well cant really tell as when I did this I put on the PC V and The newest high flow AC from K&N http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RK-3930

I just got a map from Jamie at Fuel Moto, and the bike runs great. Probably if I do have a few $$ later on I would have the bike dynoed but at this point I really see no reason. heck I'm starting to be at the old fahrt age and am just happy to ride. Will try and post a sound clip in a bit.

About the Cycle Shack baffles, I got them from Dennis Kirk (price match) beacuse there close to me. But ended up needing some spare rivets whci I ended up haveing the nice folks at Cycle Shack sent out for free.

John

Originally Posted by enroma
hello, new guy here. i have the same slip-ons on my '09 rk, and was looking at the same cycle shack baffles. have you finished this project? can you tell me how it sounds (i know that's subjective), and any hp/torque improvement? i had put on a set of samson fishtails and loved the sound but they were a bit harsh, so i'm looking for something in between. the cs baffles are way less then the bct.
you can email or pm me. thanks in advance.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:23 PM
enroma
Cruiser

jjr, are they deeper than the 80732s? was taking out the old baffles easy? my samson's were/are unbaffled and while nice for awhile, the roar got to me on the highway and i lost some "grunt" for the bigger hills. the price for the cs1544s seems too good to be true...

Old 07-20-2010, 03:25 PM
jjr
Road Captain

80732? WTF is that ;-)

here is a 3mb or so movie
http://www.angelfire.com/il3/twins/s...hackbaffle.wmv

If your talking about deeper then the stock SEII Mufflers YES. Comparing muffers is next to useless as its a personal thing and listening online is even worse. I would say that these are perfect for the road, sound just right when I get on it. Sometimes I can set off a car alarm if I really try if that helps. can easily talk with my passenger. Sound just great at idle if your behind the bike.

Pulling the baffles i would say is not a big deal, I had the riveted ones and just used a regular drill bit to get the rivets out. Since the mufflers had about 1k on them I just shoved in a piece of pipe from the front of the muffler while holding the muffler and hitting it on the ground, came right out. Now some of the mufflers are spot welded I guess from what I read and some so those may be a bit harder as you would have to create you own holes to match the ones in the baffles. Or just drill a new one in the baffle. I have only done this update once on the mufflers with the rivet and they were pretty straightforward.

What CyckeShack told me is when you install the baffle make sure that it is pushed all the way forward and it does not rattle. Check for the rattle before you do the rivet step, if it seems loose I just put the front of the baffle in a vice and gently made it a little out of round so it would fit tight. You probably would be better off just calling CycleShack for any install tips they were very helpful

jjr, are they deeper than the 80732s? was taking out the old baffles easy? my samson's were/are unbaffled and while nice for awhile, the roar got to me on the highway and i lost some "grunt" for the bigger hills. the price for the cs1544s seems too good to be true...

Old 07-20-2010, 09:33 PM
enroma
Cruiser

cool, and thanks for answering all my questions.
80732-09 is the part# for the 4" slip-ons...

Old 07-21-2010, 02:57 AM
jjr
Road Captain

No problem, now understand about the 4". Best of luck!

cool, and thanks for answering all my questions.
80732-09 is the part# for the 4" slip-ons...

Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 PM
enroma
Cruiser

thanks for the tips on putting these in. i finally got around to doing them and i'm pleased w/the sound now. the rivets it came with were junk (and not enough), so like you, after a trip for different ones, it was a super easy task.

Quick Reply: New 80732-09 SE Touring Mufflers/ Baffle Change