Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $169 H-D air horn quit working

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:24 AM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikes
I was just reading a few post just a couple of day ago about how much a piece junk the H-D air horn was and I was thinking how lucky I was that mine was still working. Well, that is no longer true.

Are these things repairable or should I just chunk it?. I haven't a clue what's wrong with it. I know it's getting voltage to the connectors.
It's total crap. I put the stock cowbell back on.

When the HD Premium Air Horn gets wet, it sounds like a goose in the last throes of life. When it is used in rapid succession, it loses volume like an old dying bleating sheep (too much animal imagery here?).

Toss it.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Not only did I save more than $100 over your own install but my Fiamm Freeway Blasters horns (hi & low tone) work perfect.
They're mounted on both sides of the tank, attached to the front tank mounting bolts. Since they're black and my bike is black too, they're pretty much invisible between the tank and the lower fairings.
I kept the cowbell for decoration and also to hide the wires connected to the horn switch. The 2 horns are powered by a plug and play relay harness from Eastern Beaver.
I'm happy with my install and these horns are pretty loud. Close to the Stebel Nautilus as far as db. Trust me, I get noticed when I use them.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:53 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Not only did I save more than $100 over your own install but my Fiamm Freeway Blasters horns (hi & low tone) work perfect.
They're mounted on both sides of the tank, attached to the front tank mounting bolts. Since they're black and my bike is black too, they're pretty much invisible between the tank and the lower fairings.
I kept the cowbell for decoration and also to hide the wires connected to the horn switch. The 2 horns are powered by a plug and play relay harness from Eastern Beaver.
I'm happy with my install and these horns are pretty loud. Close to the Stebel Nautilus as far as db. Trust me, I get noticed when I use them.
Thanks for that information. I just bought a set of Fiamm Freeway Blasters horns at Auto Zone and they are loud.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:16 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikes
Thanks for that information. I just bought a set of Fiamm Freeway Blasters horns at Auto Zone and they are loud.
Good pick. I bought mine from www.Ryderfleetproducts.com Paid 22 bucks shipped to me for the pair.
Check Eastern Beaver if you need a plug and play dual horn relay harness. Top quality and fast shipping. They're made in Japan by a Canadian guy living there.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...horn_kits.html

Last edited by frenchbiker; 04-05-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also get a 30A plug-in relay from Radio Shack for about $5.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:21 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lost1
You can also get a 30A plug-in relay from Radio Shack for about $5.
Sure, but I'm not electrician and I wanted a plug and play install for 2 horns, vs. 1 stock horn. I thought 37 bucks was very reasonable for a professional solution.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Sure, but I'm not electrician and I wanted a plug and play install for 2 horns, vs. 1 stock horn. I thought 37 bucks was very reasonable for a professional solution.
That's cool- I was just saying that Radio Shack has a relay as well in case someone buys 2 electric horns & needs one. Auto parts stores charge almost $10 for what RS wants $5 for.

I'm no electrician either- if I work at it real hard I can sometimes put batteries in the TV remote correctly, lol...

Old 04-06-2010, 07:01 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the tips. Ordered a set of freeway blasters from Ryder Fleet. Got a relay somewhere in my garage or else I'm stop at the Shack for one. I'll mount them on the front tank mounting bolts and may leave the stock horn on it too.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:26 AM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD Air Horn vs Mini Beast

On my 05 Ultra, I installed the HD Air Horn when it first came out and like some of you at first I was happy with the sound. I was not impressed with it being plastic. After about a year it didn't work so well - meaning the sound wasn't nearly as loud. Perhaps it got wet inside... Just not sure. I finally decided to purchase the Mini Beast after reading nothing but good things about them here. I picked up one new from Ebay for 149.00. It looks just like the air filter cover on the 05 Ultra, it's the same size, heavy solid chrome and is plug and play and it is LOUD!!!. Much louder than my "broken/quiet" HD and I'll bet louder than the HD when it was new. I can't imagine anyone not being happy with the sound, finish of these horns.

Joe

Old 04-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Mini Beast II
Not the cheapest but, it is loud (128 decibles), good looking (lots of styles and finishes) and has a great reputation for working.

http://www.thepropad.com/products?pa..._id=8&vmcchk=1

Quick Reply: The $169 H-D air horn quit working