Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of trading for a SG

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:32 PM
centennialfatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1158
I know EXACTLY what you mean... i "inherited" a 98 fatboy about 2 years ago..that's right...FREE! ...and i wanted a bike that had storage and was better for long rides so bad i went out and bought one.
A touring bike will totally change the way you think about riding...i used to avoid highways..now i don't even think twice about it..so nice to be able to do 75 mph. and not feel like your geting beaten to death.
I can fit my helmet, jacket, sweatshirt, extra glasses, map, water bottle, etc........
I don't so much avoid the highways but when all of us go on long rides, the wife and I have no place to put are crap once we get somewhere. Both my Brother in laws have Ultras and we're always using some of their space. I hate it. The Touring I KNOW would be better for two up. The wife hates! the pillion on the Fatty. And we're both about beat when we get there and after we get home.

Last edited by centennialfatboy; 04-01-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:49 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Get an Ultra, put on a quick release tour pack kit. Have a SG around town and and Ultra on trips. I fit both mine and my wifes full face helmets in the tour pack. Just sayin.....

Old 04-01-2010, 03:16 PM
centennialfatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cbears
Get an Ultra, put on a quick release tour pack kit. Have a SG around town and and Ultra on trips. I fit both mine and my wifes full face helmets in the tour pack. Just sayin.....
I thought of that but like the other styled stuff that's on the SG. I could always add the tour pak on the SG if I needed it.

I saw a beautiful Rootbeer two tone SG on the net the other day. That color combo is so cool!

Attached Thumbnails Thinking of trading for a SG-dealersite_images_milwaukeeharley_vp1607149_2_large.jpg  
Old 04-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Willetts1
Advanced

Get the SG I had a 03 standard with apes and custom paint, soooo nice looking. I bought the glide because the wife wanted to start riding. The ole standard just did not look or ride the same with that big ugly doube seat and sissy bar...Once I got the glide I never rode the standard again. Sold it..you will love the storeage, my half helmet fits. And the radio

Old 04-01-2010, 03:33 PM
centennialfatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Willetts1
Get the SG I had a 03 standard with apes and custom paint, soooo nice looking. I bought the glide because the wife wanted to start riding. The ole standard just did not look or ride the same with that big ugly doube seat and sissy bar...Once I got the glide I never rode the standard again. Sold it..you will love the storeage, my half helmet fits. And the radio
My sig pic is how I like to ride my Fatty. It looks so weird with the passenger seat and the back rest but we do it when she feels like riding. Besides, she hates both backrests I've put on it. "well honey, I guess I have to get a new bike then, dang!" The Street Glide is a good step up I think. The seat height is almost the same as the Fatboy and a little heavier but I think it will be LOADS more comfy. One of my Brother-in-laws went from a Sportster to a EG Std (his is not an Ultra I guess) and he said the Touring bike is THE way to go.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:33 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by cbears
Get an Ultra, put on a quick release tour pack kit. Have a SG around town and and Ultra on trips. ..

No you don't. (LOL) They may be kissing cousins, but they are two different bikes with the Ultra being the uglier.

However, since your wife will be riding with you a lot, might as well get the new seat along with the bike because the SG seat is at best a solo seat for longer trips. Even better, have them sweeten the deal by throwing in a new seat.

Oh, and you will need a taller windshield for the long rides also. Lots of choices at lots of prices for a new shield.

I do think the saddlebags will hold your half helmets, but not a 3/4.

Beary

Old 04-01-2010, 03:44 PM
centennialfatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by beary
No you don't. (LOL) They may be kissing cousins, but they are two different bikes with the Ultra being the uglier.

However, since your wife will be riding with you a lot, might as well get the new seat along with the bike because the SG seat is at best a solo seat for longer trips. Even better, have them sweeten the deal by throwing in a new seat.

Oh, and you will need a taller windshield for the long rides also. Lots of choices at lots of prices for a new shield.

I do think the saddlebags will hold your half helmets, but not a 3/4.

Beary
I like the tail end, rear fender and the wheels of the SG better and the tour pak can be added if need be. I plan to work the best deal I can on something new and include a seat and probably a backrest if they'll do it. May try to work some pipes but that may be pushing it. Or find something used that's already done up right. On my Fatyboy, they threw in about $1000 worth of stuff instead of negotiating the price down. I'm still shopping so we'll see what comes along.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:21 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2, one fake and 1 dot. Both fit.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer

My half helmet is a very tight fit (rubbed a hole in the cloth bag I put it in) Needless to say I am buying a smaller helmet soon.

With that said, what I would do instead of testing with your in-laws bikes, ride to the dealer, take your helmet and test fit IN THE BIKE you are about to buy. If it doesn't fit, tell them to throw in 2 helmets.

DONE DEAL!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:42 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

yes, a half helmet will fit. i've got a couple of half helmets, and they fit just fine. had you considered a pair of saddlebags for your fatboy? it'd probably be over twenty grand cheaper than getting an ultra. i have a pair of fatboy saddlebags that will bolt right onto your fatboy. pm me if interested.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading for a SG