Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Custom Upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:26 PM
gafirefighter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at a new Mustang two up touring seat. There is a guy selling them online for a pretty good price. I think they are going for about $370. Just wondering if anyone is running them on their custom, and does it ride better than the Sundowner deep bucket?

Adam

Old 04-04-2010, 06:33 PM
ghenstorf
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my 2005 FLHRS as well. I added Keith Black flat top 95 inch pistons, Andrews TW37G cams. Mikuni carb and sent heads to Dewey's in Washington state for his torque porting job. I run a ProPipe for best HP and still can go thru hospital garage without setting off alarms. Heads were milled to give 10.25:1 compression. Not much money for 110 pounds/foot torque. Perfect for our annual tour with wife, detachable leather trunk and gear for 2 weeks on the road. Last year we went north to Traverse resort for golf and a ferry ride to Wisconson and Harley factory. Likes 93 octane but carry a little booster for states that only have 91. Enjoy the King.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:47 PM
gafirefighter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ghenstorf
I love my 2005 FLHRS as well. I added Keith Black flat top 95 inch pistons, Andrews TW37G cams. Mikuni carb and sent heads to Dewey's in Washington state for his torque porting job. I run a ProPipe for best HP and still can go thru hospital garage without setting off alarms. Heads were milled to give 10.25:1 compression. Not much money for 110 pounds/foot torque. Perfect for our annual tour with wife, detachable leather trunk and gear for 2 weeks on the road. Last year we went north to Traverse resort for golf and a ferry ride to Wisconson and Harley factory. Likes 93 octane but carry a little booster for states that only have 91. Enjoy the King.

That sounds similar to what I would like to do to mine over the next winter. I am not looking for huge HP gains, just some more for the fun of it. I was thinking of going with a little higher compression pistons on the stock jugs and keep it at 88 in. Or I may go up to 95. I know I would like some cams with a little more lift, just for the sound.

Adam

Old 04-04-2010, 08:29 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 507 Posts

if u ride 2up add the hard tourpack youll find it will stay on more than off and the wifey will likey.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:00 PM
gafirefighter
Intermediate

I am wondering if just changing the cams would not be the best route for me. It seems that it would give me the sound I want and a little more power. What do you all think would be the best route to take on this? Also, it would give me a chance to get in there and check the tensioners. What do you all think I should expect to spend on tuning after and install like this?

Thanks,

Adam

Old 04-04-2010, 11:40 PM
joewg3
Tourer

Some SOOS or HarleyGoodies footboard extensions are a must.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 AM
dredy2g
Tourer

Originally Posted by joewg3
Some SOOS or HarleyGoodies footboard extensions are a must.
I second that SOOS 1 inchers here I love the extra room.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:01 AM
ghenstorf
Cruiser

I did the TW 37G cams first. The added compression woke the cams up in my second step. Seems silly to me to change pistons without increasing displacement for a fraction more cost. Porting was also a bargin compared to SE heads and better performance to boot. I have a couple sets of cylinders I would give away to anyone willing to pay actual shipping. Most good performance shops will bore pair for 100-125. Both mine are black.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:10 PM
razoraggie
Advanced

I have an '05 FLHRSI and the first thing I did was swap out the handlebars and seat. I went to Heritage handlebars and bought a Mustang one piece sport touring seat to replace the Sundowner the previous owner had. Both upgrades were awesome. Mustang seats are made far better than Harley seats from both a structural and fitment perspective.

As for the hard bags, how would one put Police bags on a Custom? Wouldn't you have to remove the under bag support that the leather bags sit on?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:53 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A RK Custom is the sheeeit. I'm glad you didn't trade it as they don't make them anymore. I wanted one so bad when I bought my RK in 07 and I couldn't find a Custom that I built my own, I have acquired every single RK Custom part for my bike and I have the hard bags to boot.
I'd upgrade to the 95" engine with some head work asap and if you want to keep the wind off you on the highway get a Woody's fairing with no radio, it fit's with the stock chrome fly-screen and takes all of 4 minutes to take on and off, I found this to be a very good upgrade for the days you want to go over 50MPH or cold days.

Quick Reply: Road King Custom Upgrades...