Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i trust the dealer to perform motor build ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:23 PM
creep1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i trust the dealer to perform motor build ??

Im picking up a new roadglide. Thinking of having a motor upgrade done before i pick it up. A 113 kit to be exact. Im figuring i can roll the cost of the upgrade into the loan and also im figuring the build will be under warranty. My only hesitation is that ive never had a dealership do anything that major. Not to sound weird but not knowing whos doing the build might freak me out and also- are they competent enough to perform the build ? I realize that anyone can build a motor but I believe that theres certain builders who are better than others. would I be better off just having my local tuner who I am familiar with his work do it? But then I wont have the luxury of having the build financed.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

For a dealership the engine upgrade is almost as routine as an oil change, probably one of the most popular aftermarket upgrades next to handlebars and wheels. Now with that said some of the folks here on the forum don't trust the dealership to do an oil change or even stand near their bikes.

I do my own maintenance but on occasion I've had to use the dealership service department and I've had good luck with them so far.

If you have several dealers in your area and know some Harley owners ask them who they use and what kind of service they got. If your still in doubt check out the local Indy shops.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:30 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Best bet to try to talk to some in your area on the level of quality of your place there. Maybe try to contact some of the guys in the local HOG chapter to see their feelings on this dealership

Old 04-04-2010, 07:32 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

that would depend on the dealer. i know that i just got my 103 built at route 66 harley in tulsa, and they're very precise with their builds. the cost of the 113 would be much higher than a 103 because the case has to be bored, and there's so much more involved, cost is much higher, and a well built 103" has gobs of power and torque. i'm not sure if the 113 would be something that they'd honor under warranty. i could be wrong, but if you talk with others who deal with the dealership you're going through, you should be able to figure out if they're competent to handle the build.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:36 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Do your homework and get a good feel about your dealership... I have been dealing with our local dealer since 96 and I do trust them... Not everyone has the same feelings as me but most do. What I have learned is to deal with the same mech each and EVERY time. I always make an appoitment and only one person works on my bike.. One time he ask me 'why'... My answer was this... I trust you and IF your pissed at some past work, well, it was you, lol... He was satisfied. One other advantage - Once you have the TRUST factor taken care of... IF there is a problem (and **** does happen) then at least you can go back to them... If you use an Indy - well, that may be another story..

Bottom line is - Its YOUR $$$$ - do what feels good to YOU

Old 04-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Big L
Road Warrior

Received 156 Likes on 127 Posts

Why not purchase a JIMMS 120' and sell your engine to recoupe some of your money? .02

Old 04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by creep1
Im picking up a new roadglide. Thinking of having a motor upgrade done before i pick it up. A 113 kit to be exact. Im figuring i can roll the cost of the upgrade into the loan and also im figuring the build will be under warranty. My only hesitation is that ive never had a dealership do anything that major. Not to sound weird but not knowing whos doing the build might freak me out and also- are they competent enough to perform the build ? I realize that anyone can build a motor but I believe that theres certain builders who are better than others. would I be better off just having my local tuner who I am familiar with his work do it? But then I wont have the luxury of having the build financed.
Are you comfortable with this dealer doing your build?? Some dealers that have high perfromance backgrounds are the best,but unfortunately there are not many of them around.If your going to finance this build why not go with the 120ci build package that HD now offers???

Last edited by arealinvestor; 04-04-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

I think the warranty thing will only cover a build using HD parts, so you're limited to a 103 or 110. I've got a 103 & if you get some head work done & choose the right cams it should give you great power, well over 100 both HP & TQ. Talk to the service manager & find out which specific mechanic is going to do your build & ask to talk to him to get a feel for how competent he is & how many builds he's done, most shops have their most experienced guys do the motor builds. It would be nice to finance your build, but not at the expense of getting a crappy build.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:04 PM
creep1
Road Captain

the 113 kit is in the 09 screamin eagle parts book. Im gonna use all screamin eagle parts. I guess its possible it wouldnt be covered under warranty but I dont see why if its hd parts and its installed prior to delivery ?

Old 04-04-2010, 08:29 PM
alphadog001
Tourer

if you have a good feeling about the dealer go for it.
Especially since you want to roll it into the loan.

Quick Reply: Should i trust the dealer to perform motor build ??