Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the klock werks windshield solve the buffiting on the Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:57 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by simpkinst
I have a 2006 FLHX and I am also 6 foot. I do not know what you mean by "beffeting" but the wind off the stock shield casued the wind to hit me directly on the nose...hard to keep sun glasses on. It was a PITA.

I got the 8 inch recurve from Clearview....best thing I have done to the bike. Looks great and the wind goes over the head and doesn't try to rip my glasses off.
Turbulent air trying to rip off your glasses? Yep, that's buffeting

Old 04-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,655 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
I'm 6' also and for me it takes a 9 1/2" recurve from Clearview.

But I do know some 6' guys that like the 6 1/2" Klock Werks.
They do say the wind does hit them in the forehead though with it. Good luck, because I've tried at least 10 windshields.
6' 1" and I have the 9 1/2" Clearview recurve also. Big improvement over the worthless stock shield.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Dave Watts
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daft answer to the buffetting problem.

I had a problem with buffetting on my Heritage. I even tried having a few inches cut off the top of the screen. Then I realised what was causing it.
I ride 99% of the time with my feet up on the highway pegs. This causes a perfect funnel effect, directing the wind straight up my legs and into my face. I thought it was coming over the top of the screen. Simple solution. Feet back down on the boards - knees closed on the tank - no more buffetting!

Last edited by Dave Watts; 04-09-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I've got the 8 1/2" Klock Werks Flare. I've had the stock 4", a smoked 6" and a clear 9". There is still some buffeting when you're in a strong head wind. No buffeting without the strong headwind up to 110. I do notice a little more cross wind influence while passing, but not bad. All in all, the air is a lot cleaner. I'm 6' 2" on a sundowner touring seat.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Watts
Simple solution. Feet back down on the boards - knees closed on the tank - no more buffetting!

This is true to some degree, but the fairing still pulls a lot of wind up from around the engine guard area over the front half of the tank where the knees can't block. That is why the Ultras even have the problem. I have not tried them, but a lot of riders say the fork leg deflectors work the best. Not the deflector that between the legs, these are deflectors that mount on each side of the legs.

Beary

Old 04-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Baggrmark
Cruiser

I've gone from stock Ultra windshield to 4" to 6' to 9" to the 8-1/2 " Klockwerks and the best one was probably the 9". I'm 6'1" and the Klockwerks still seems to have a lot of buffeting to me.I've even taken off the visor off my wife's helmet,which helps a lot with the pulling up on the helmet.I don't always wear a helmet hear in Florida but when I do my neck always hurts from the pulling and pushing from the wind.I've been seriously thinking of going back to the 9" because of it, but it just gets too hot I think without the extra wind.The Klockwerks just doesn't really cut it for me on the long rides.
Mark

Old 04-09-2010, 12:08 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

There are so many opinions on what is intolerable buffetting and what is just wind in the face it's always hard to answer these questions. After two SG's and probably a dozen different windshields, this is what I believe. The KW 6.5 works well for me at 6". I've also gotten used to and even like my 6" standard shaped Cee Bailey. I have found that a size that comes real close to perfect for me, and still doesn't ruin the lines of the SG is a 7" standard design from Cee Bailey. It does start to reach the height that I feel hurts the design and look of the bike. Any higher, (and I have several 8-9-10" shields) and the look is out the window for me. The single biggest things you can do to reduce buffetting is get lower fairings. After that, the between forks baffle. Then the wings on each side of the fairing. Then a reasonably sized ws. For me a 6" and no higher standard shaped shield, or my KW 6.5" WITH the other items mention make for a very smooth ride, except for on the windiest days, where nothing is going to eliminate buffetting. I honestly think to so degree it's a matter of getting used to the wind. I do not ride with lower fairings in the summer, and the wind picks up, but honestly that is fine with me. It's my favorite type of riding experience. BUT if you really want to quiet all the drama down..get an 8" or higher WS, lower fairings, side fairing wings and the updside down ash tray between your forks. You'll be good to go.

The following users liked this post:
Asports (04-24-2021)
Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM
racerdj
Club Member

Is ther front faring the cause? On my RK without the windshield, I have plenty of wind which I enjoy but not the buffeting.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:24 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

I'm over 6' and the stock one is fine to me. What oh what would you do if you were riding a shieldless or fairingless bike?

Aside from my rant, my buddy got that klockwerks and it worked for him.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:42 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

09 SG
Stock Seat
5'8"
6.5 Klock werks recurve

Quick Reply: Does the klock werks windshield solve the buffiting on the Street Glide?