Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The LOOSE shifter rod lever !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My 'o4 FX Springer had the rear linkage bolt back out while riding on a vacation.

At the time I didn't know, I thought I had a tranny problem because it wouldn't shift properly.

The bolt was rubbing on the inner primary.

We stopped at a local HD for some help, they had no idea what the problem could be.

Sitting in the dealer parking lot..my buddy noticed the backed out bolt, tightened it up and we were on our way.

So yeah.........keep an eye on those things.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:37 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone had any problems with the '09's and '10's I have checked my trans shifter shaft every 5k miles and still tight as day one. I did however have my heel shifter fall off somewhere on I-77 between here and Toledo, OH awhile back.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
What part of "it's not the shifter rod" didn't you understand?
Hey, it's my fault the thread took a slight detour. Never say never was just replying to one of those comments. And with a good suggestion too, albeit slightly off topic.

now you know why I'm never the road captain.....

Old 04-14-2010, 12:40 AM
fordracing19
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
Has anyone had any problems with the '09's and '10's I have checked my trans shifter shaft every 5k miles and still tight as day one. I did however have my heel shifter fall off somewhere on I-77 between here and Toledo, OH awhile back.
My brother had his come off his 09 sg. My other brother was behind him and saw it come off and picked it up.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:00 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a new screw and tightened it down really well. It still backs off after about 7,000 miles and I just tighten it again. It's a design flaw, in my opinion and one that should have been fixed by Harley years ago because it's so frustratingly simple to cure. I've got an 05 and I hope this has been fixed on the newer models.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:01 PM
nhjoe
Advanced
Default o6 road king doin it too has been for a while

im gona try it i might even try gooping some jb weld in there if i can get it in there with out making a mess friccan harley and china parts i believe
what a rip off these things shouldnd be loose from the start i was told not to worry they go like that forever but mines getting worse cant get the allen out!!!! to even try to re tighten is there a tool that makes it easy allen socket with a extention ?? what size is the allen bolt any answers not heim joints again somehow people havent a clue but its good to know that once i fix this the hiem joints might be next harley makes a nice lookin bike but the **** they use from china like every thing is junk i fix one thing just to start the next! once i get these things fixed im not gonna rush to buy a new hunk of **** and a whole new set of problems not to mention if you look this problem has been goin on for what 6 or seven years regarding these arms not set right from factory and wearing out parts leaving us with a rattle trap ready to snap when is harley gona be held responcable for this crap??? need to get a dam lawyer involved class law suit would wake them the f up!!! any help will be apreciated dont mind the rant and temper tantrom i love my hunk of **** too just not into fixen **** every time you go out! what size wrench was it?

Old 05-29-2010, 11:10 PM
nhjoe
Advanced
Default btw????

where do u get the hiem joints when i get around to fixen them too ??
did i hear john deere? they make **** too my lawn mower is a deere and the motor just **** the bed after one season 2000 bucks they repaired it but still shouldnt happen but again they even refer to them selves as similar to harley davidson type buisness i nearly fell over so this is where you get the hiem joints and then i heard some one say bolts and nylon sleeves any good pics or discription of how to do this would help
maybe like step one then pic then step two then pic some of the pics dont show close enough maybe its common sence once you start rippin into it are those bolted on originaly i havent looked i thought the hiem joints were like rivited in no screw to take the apart i could be wrong i haven looked close yet

Old 05-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Knight2
Tourer

My God!
Use some periods, commas and caps SOMEWHERE!
Very Hard to read dude... LOL

Pete

Old 05-29-2010, 11:36 PM
rborsholm
Advanced

Happened to me last week - whent to shift gears and said "What the *&^%^!". Managed to get together and tightened by hand and rode home. Forgot to do anything about it and almost fell off again today (my bad). Picking up some lock tight tomorrow...

Old 05-29-2010, 11:41 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

after reading all 3 pages...wtf are we talking about? the rod? or the foot lever?

Quick Reply: The LOOSE shifter rod lever !!!