Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor freight motorcycle jack problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:23 PM
FLHTC752
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harbor freight motorcycle jack problem?

I just got my jack from harbor freight and put it all together and went to try it out. The bike went up no problem but I went to lower it it came flying down like a the jack was just puled out from under it and I almost dropped the bike. The manuel, several small pieces of paper and the sticker on the jack says that if you press the pedal the bike will fall fast and if you press it all the way it will fall slowly. When I press it the lift drops fast. If anyone has this lift does yours do the same thing? Also does you pedal only travel about a 1/4 inch?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:39 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out Youtube. Mine is showing up monday, good to know that this little "MOD" is really necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j46NwUqjM7w

Old 04-14-2010, 04:46 PM
BMF
Cruiser

I will say I like that little MOD. I haven't had an issue with mine though. If I push my release peddle all the way down the bike goes down slow. If I only push it part way it goes down really fast. Scared the hell out of me the 1st time but I got use to the jack and it work's just fine now.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:16 PM
faapilot
Cruiser

I do not understand why someone would pay over $20K for their bike then try to "save money" by going cheap on the jack. I researched this issue and got the J&S Jack. Sure, it costs a little more $$$ but well worth it as I cannot readily afford a new bike if it falls off a cheap jack like the HF or Sears models. Just go to the J&S Jack website and check out their videos, do some research on this site regarding J&S Jack and reconsider if your bike is worth it....

Ride safe.....

Old 04-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Fitter64
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my Pitbull Lift delivered and used it for my fluid changes and clutch adjustment. I just have to say it has to be the best lift I ever owned (besides a table lift for larger more aggressive work). Operates smoothly both up and down. Very solid even at the max. 24". Very happy with it. Built extremely well.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:04 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 327 Likes on 223 Posts

No matter how much you spend on the jack they are all the same, probably made in the same plant in CHINA no matter what it says on the label. I have the HF and it works just fine, all you guys that are having trouble with the bottle jack try putting some fluid in it and bleeding the air out of it once in a while. Close the valve pump it a few times open the valve close the valve pump it a few times open the valve until there is no air in it and like magic it will work . It ain't friggin rocket science.

Last edited by santajim; 04-14-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:18 PM
FLHTC752
Intermediate

Originally Posted by santajim

No matter how much you spend on the jack they are all the same, probably made in the same plant in CHINA no matter what it says on the label. I have the HF and it works just fine, all you guys that are having trouble with the bottle jack try putting some fluid in it and bleeding the air out of it once in a while. Close the valve pump it a few times open the valve close the valve pump it a few times open the valve until there is no air in it and like magic it will work . It ain't friggin rocket science.
Sadly I agree with you

Old 04-14-2010, 06:22 PM
FLHTC752
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SDVmnt
Check out Youtube. Mine is showing up monday, good to know that this little "MOD" is really necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j46NwUqjM7w
thanks for the vid. I had a felling that mine is not right out of the box the foot pedal only travels a 1/4 inch so its when pressed down all the way it hit the cross bar and is in the half way down mode. Anyone know if this can be fixed? Or do I have to deal with HF

Old 04-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Jerm21
Tourer

I have the harbor freight jack and you do have to be careful with the pedal. It’s a little counterintuitive.

BUT – it’s a good solid jack and the bike is very stable when on it. I got my jack for a smidge over 50 bucks... is the S&S jack better... I'm sure, but I don't consider it 7 times as expensive as “a little more”.

Yes, the bike was 20 grand… but for the guys who need a jack for basic maintenance the HF jack works just fine.

just my 2 cents

- Jerm

Old 04-14-2010, 06:34 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

No mfgr/design problems with mine. Been using for over three years now. The only issue I have is not the jacks fault but my own. I store the jack under the filter to my oil burner and the oil dripped on the left rubber pad and it came off. I need to find a replacement! As a matter of fact I used it to lift my car off the jack stands when both my floor jacks failed!

Quick Reply: Harbor freight motorcycle jack problem?