Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Adjustment at Primary

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Harmon01
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Adjustment at Primary

I just installed a SE compensator today. I did it without removing the clutch but when I finished everything I mistakenly over torqued and managed to strip the threads on the adjuster screw and nut. I backed out the adjuster screw all the way out. Now my clutch handled has no resistance. I'm wondering if I screwed something on the other end where the cable goes into the transmission (inner ramp). Is the adjuster screw attached to anything or does it just put pressure on something?
Also, what is the size of the clutch locking nut on the main shaft?
Thanks.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:09 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you saying you striped the jam nut and push rod assembly for the clutch adjustment. If I understand correctly you took the push rod all the way out of the clutch? If so the other side where the cable goes in is fine the push rod threads into the clutch assembly and pushes against the main rod of the transmission to adjust preload of the clutch, you should be able to screw it back in make sure the cable is loose and once you feel a little bit of resistance back off 1/2 turn to a full turn, this resistance is also where you will see the clutch handle move. I cannot remember the size of that jam nut think its 11/16" you need an angle box wrench to get to it good otherwise you'll have to doctor up one of your regular box wrenches.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Yup, 11/16" offset box-end, or one of those trick ratchets with the pass-through in the middle. You must have torqued the **** out of the thing to strip both the nut and the screw threads.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:47 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Originally Posted by rthomp159
Yup, 11/16" offset box-end, or one of those trick ratchets with the pass-through in the middle. You must have torqued the **** out of the thing to strip both the nut and the screw threads.
Yea I think he was talking about another bolt or at least I hope so, where did you go Harmon? get it figured out yet?

Old 04-24-2010, 10:29 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Using the proper clutch adjustment, you have to loosen the cable to get plenty of slack. If you didn't take up the slack after you adjusted the clutch at the primary then you will have no tension on the clutch lever.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Harmon01
Intermediate
Default Clutch Adjustment at the Primary

Yes, the jam nut on the push rod assembly. It seemed like the nut somehow got crossed threaded then or I just torqued too much (just a boneheaded move on my part not paying attention) and when I tried to back it out, I couldn't turn the nut so I had to back out the the push rod.
Fireaxxe, when you say "the other side where the cable goes in..." do you mean the other side of the clutch assembly? Will I need to remove the whole clutch assembly? I'll need to get another adjuster screw and nut (adjuster screw is what the maintenance manual calls it).
I've never remove the clutch assembly before but have done adjustments with no problem. If I need to remove the whole assembly, I'm not sure the size for lock nut on the main shaft.
Thanks for you help guys.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If all you did was cross thread the nut on the adjuster screw, then there will be no need to remove the clutch assy. Just follow the directions in the manual for adjusting. Now, if you stripped the threads in the pressure plate, the part that the adjuster screw threads in to, you will have to at least replace the pressure plate also.

Proper adjustment is to loosen the cable adjusters, run the adjuster screw in until resistance is felt, back out 1/2-3/4 turns, tighten jam nut, readjust cable.

You sound a bit "green" as far as having done this type of work before so please ensure that you have a manual and you follow th eprocedrues in the manual.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harmon01
Yes, the jam nut on the push rod assembly. It seemed like the nut somehow got crossed threaded then or I just torqued too much (just a boneheaded move on my part not paying attention) and when I tried to back it out, I couldn't turn the nut so I had to back out the the push rod.
Fireaxxe, when you say "the other side where the cable goes in..." do you mean the other side of the clutch assembly? Will I need to remove the whole clutch assembly? I'll need to get another adjuster screw and nut (adjuster screw is what the maintenance manual calls it).
I've never remove the clutch assembly before but have done adjustments with no problem. If I need to remove the whole assembly, I'm not sure the size for lock nut on the main shaft.
Thanks for you help guys.
I was responding to your quote when you said you were concerned about the other side where the clutch cable goes in, There is a chrome cover that says "6 speed" on it that is where the cable goes into the transmission and if you only problem is the striped jam nut the other side I mentioned should be fine.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:18 AM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I ask why you replaced compensator?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Harmon01
Intermediate

OK, I assessed my "damage" this morning. I was too tired and pissed at what I had done last evening. I always use a torque wrench to tighten bolts which is what I had done but the torque setting was too high and as soon as I torqued, I knew I screwed up by not paying attention. I only adjusted the clutch once before without issue and I guess shouldn't have used the torque wrench.
According to my service manual, the Adjuster Screw goes to the push rod which goes to the Oil Slinger. I've apparently stripped whatever the adjuster screw goes to because it won't thread back in. How this fits to the pressure plate, I'm not sure. So I guess I need to replace the Push Rod along with the Adjuster Screw.
As I said previously, I've never removed the clutch assembly before so yes, I'm green in that area, but have done lots of maintenance on this and other bikes before. The compensator replacement was pretty straight forward. I just did a stupid thing. I should have stopped and finished it in the morning but was trying to get everything back together when I was tired.
For some reason, the manual does not list the wrench size for the Mainshaft Nut. The largest I have is 1-1/16th so it looks to be 1-3/16. Can anyone confirm? If I could pull it I'd have a better understanding of the parts.
Not feeling too proud right now and appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: Clutch Adjustment at Primary