Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 piston slap and HD warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:52 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't be surprised if your current dealer is not familiar with the terms of the ESP. They may have promised something that is not covered. The term "extended warranty" gets used so much that dealership employees as well as a lot of others think that is what the ESP is and it is not.

I took a tire back to my dealer with a cut in it with about 2,000 miles on it for replacement under my ESP. Service writer told me it's not covered. I showed him my ESP where it said it was covered under the wheel / tire road hazzard section. He said he'd have to make a phone call.

It was covered at $0 cost to me.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 AM
jroux
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of where I am right now. The dealer who has the bike has no idea of its history and where the mods came from who did them (even though I told her). I TRIED to educate them, showing them the original invoice and work (with 0 miles on it and done by the other Harley dealer). All she did was make copies of the paperwork I presented. I'm positive she (service writer) never made the case for me. All she did was give me the number for ESP. I'm sure that's where the ball was dropped (or lack of effort).

Old 04-28-2010, 07:35 PM
jroux
Intermediate

Well, the story ends (not entirely bad). Apparently (unknown to me) the bike has a super tuner installed, that's why it was refused. But the dealer where I bought it agreed to complete the repair at no cost and honor the warranty on the engine for the full 3 year term of the ESP. I knew they would somehow fix this, too bad they're 3+ hours away. I'll live with that.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear it's going to work out for you. That's a stand-up dealer.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

You came out OK then. A three hour drive sucks, but look at what you are gaining. I hope things come out A-OK for you and the bike.

RD

Old 04-29-2010, 08:12 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

It is frustrating dealing with these issues,sounds like your all set.You really should talk to the dealer about their motor builder, and ask them what they use for piston/cylinderwall clearance.Cast pistons run a little less clearance than forged.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:38 PM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW glad to here they are standing behind the build....Sounds like you have found a good dealer ... Depending how this plays out if it is good I would stick with them...

Old 04-29-2010, 01:13 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

this deal sounds fishy....
He has all SE parts with a work order at 0 miles from the dealer. These parts should have been registered at the time of being installed on the bike at time of registration through the warranty system. A check of the VIN by any H-D dealer would have indicated if those parts were actually installed and warranty registered when the bike was being sold.
As far the Super Tuner goes.....It is not installed like other programmers. It would be a download into the ECM and not ride externally on the bike. And the ECM would have to be reprogrammed or an aftermarket device installed to accomodate the 103 engine....it wouldnt run on the 88" programming. So the program would have to be there for the engine modifications performed. These parts would run con-current with the bike warranty (it follows the bike warranty) if the proper paperwork was filed by the dealer at the time the bike was registered.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twincam47
this deal sounds fishy....
He has all SE parts with a work order at 0 miles from the dealer. These parts should have been registered at the time of being installed on the bike at time of registration through the warranty system. A check of the VIN by any H-D dealer would have indicated if those parts were actually installed and warranty registered when the bike was being sold.
As far the Super Tuner goes.....It is not installed like other programmers. It would be a download into the ECM and not ride externally on the bike. And the ECM would have to be reprogrammed or an aftermarket device installed to accomodate the 103 engine....it wouldnt run on the 88" programming. So the program would have to be there for the engine modifications performed. These parts would run con-current with the bike warranty (it follows the bike warranty) if the proper paperwork was filed by the dealer at the time the bike was registered.

Not entirely true. There are street legal 103" kits and race kits. The street legal 103 kit has a ECM re-program. If this kit is installed within 60 days, it would be a registered part with the Custom Coverage Program and all warranties would be honored including Extended Service, IF ESP was purchased at the time of sale. If the kit was installed after the 60 days of purchase, it is NOT covered be the ESP or original warranty. If the bike has a Race or Super tuner, regardless of the kit installed of the map installed, ie. 103" street leagl kit with Super Tuner and 103" street legal map installed, is NOT covered. Installation of any tuning device will void drivetrain warranty according to MOCO and ESP.
Dealer was stand up for compelting repairs. I can say a large majority of dealer's install std. fit piston's with std. bore cylinder's. Sound's good right. Torque a std. cylinder right from MOCO in torque plates, wait 30 minutes and check fit for piston clearence. 90 percent of the time the cylinder does not have a straight bore and fit is too tight. Better to go with .005 over stock psiton's with std. cylinder's and pay for a good bore and proper fit.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:35 AM
jroux
Intermediate

Thanks to all for your support and help. I can understand ESP not supporting the warranty claim but it is obvious to even an untrained eye that the bike and engine have not been abused. Its too bad they look for a way out rather than a reason to uphold the claim. I never, ever buy a warranty beyond what I'm given at the time of the sale, I will NEVER do this again. I would be suing right now for the $1,400 (cost of the warranty) if the dealer wasn't going to stand behind the bike. Still, they are making excuses that a stroker will make noise, which I completely agree with. But strokers make noise when cold, not after being hot which is when this occured. One look at the cylinder walls and the damage is clear. I paid the 3 hours of labor to the first (local) dealer so they at least don't have to tear it down. I could punch the service writer who was giving me a hard time about the mods and the warranty, I would have never produced the original papers showing all the details of the build. That's where ESP found the Super Tuner. Dumb bitch (stupid *** me).

Quick Reply: 2004 piston slap and HD warranty