Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traveling with spare fob?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 AM
BladeRun
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reminder. Just went and found the wallet card, which of course wasnt in the wallet. lol. Practiced disarming the code with the instructions on the card and all went well. Now to put the thing in the wallet where it will do more good!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 PM
grumpy old biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree set your own pin number and your good to go. Dealer told me change the battery at least every two years and fob will always work. Batteries are cheap, I change it every spring. When touring I've got enough other crap to deal with, don't need to be checking for extra keys and fob.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:05 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I keep the instructions with me just in case but I like a couple ideas submitted here.
Tin foil on the spare-- have to try it first.
Battery upside down in spare--just have to remember that's what I did.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the battery upside down idea could lead to confusion down the road - i.e, dropping off the bike for service, etc

I usually give the dealer my spare fob not the one on the keychain

Old 04-28-2010, 01:17 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

I keep the directions in my gmail address book online and phone mem. along with the fab s/n and bikes pin,also replaced the tool kit with an ebook

Old 04-28-2010, 02:34 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The idea of blocking or disabling the second fob is so obvious I feel silly for not thinking of it. Of course, knowing the override technique is critical too. Thanks for the advice and some good stories.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:23 PM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been in a couple of situations where the FOB was NFG. Once it was so cold inside my chest pocket the battery didn't have enough power for the FOB and a couple of other times the FOBs (yes both) failed due to some kind of radio interference. I had spare batteries and both FOBs but no-go. Once I was at a gas station, once at a restaurant. It's best if you know the procedure for disabling security - you'll need it sooner or later.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
I'm on my 3rd bike with factory security. All were purchased at different dealers and all came pre-programmed with a default code of 1-2-3-4-5.
When I program them at the dealership I work at I program them with all ones...When we do dealer trades with other dealerships I have found some to be 12121...54321...also the last five numbers of the vin...There is not a standard default code...I program them with all ones because when we get a call from some of our customers with security issues with their fob...I can walk them through the procedure of overriding the security system with that simple code over the phone...It still amazes me that people don't bother to learn how to manually disarm their security system.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:55 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 507 Posts

theres a card in the back of the owners manual it has directions and a place to write your pin on try it set the pin and put in wallet, then never worrie obout fobs again.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:57 PM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knowing the PIN is great - that'll get your bike started, but it won't unlock your bags or Tour-Pak. That's why I carry the spare.

Quick Reply: Traveling with spare fob?