Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control runaway

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Proudtexan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
The techs are thinking, "here he comes again with his imaginary problem. Damn I should have laid out of work today.".

lmao.
That's exactly how I was feeling, I was so expecting him to come back and say I was crazy. They kept it Friday evening ans said they were going to change the set/accel switch and check the wiring under the fairing. I'll let them keep it and make sure it's all good this time.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:24 PM
retyddone
Advanced

Had the same thing with my 2004. It was the wires plug in to the throtttle cable, down by the steering head.
Got some water in there after a wash and caused the problem for a couple of weeks till I found it. Fix was some dielectic grease and all has been good sence.
Martin

Old 06-06-2010, 12:48 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Proudtexan
That's exactly how I was feeling, I was so expecting him to come back and say I was crazy. They kept it Friday evening ans said they were going to change the set/accel switch and check the wiring under the fairing. I'll let them keep it and make sure it's all good this time.
I wanted to make sure you know I feel your pain. I am NOT mocking you. I have been through the same exact thing, I know where you are coming from.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:39 AM
August
Cruiser

There are four switches that feed information to the speed control. One for throttle roll-off, one for clutch dis-engagement, and one for each brake system. On my '02 RK, the speed control started to act whacky for a few months before it crapped out entirely. It would continue to accelerate (as you describe) or fail to hold a setting -- all at various times with no pattern. Finally, it crapped out entirely. I managed to retrieve the error code in the odometer window. The code said "in line throttle switch." The what?

Sure enough, there is a strange gizmo on the steering head that the throttle cable runs through. It is a switch that surrounds the roll-off cable of the throttle. It is a funky design and looking at it made me wonder how it could work at all. But, it's purpose is to interrupt the cruise if the rider rolls off the throttle. I'm hard pressed to understand that's what a rider would do in an emergency, but maybe that is exactly what an experienced rider would do out of habit. I dunno. Whatever, the switch is there for that purpose.

But, it does work and that switch was the source of all my problems. Upon replacing the switch, the cruise worked fine for many more years.

I presume the erratic behavior of the cruise prior to the total failure was due to various voltages being sent to the control units -- i.e. various stages of a short circuit leading up to complete closure and, subsequent, interruption of the cruise.

So, if someone said your problem was a faulty brake switch, and they had retrieved the error code that told them this, I'd believe them.

Last edited by August; 06-06-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Proudtexan
Novice

Originally Posted by August
There are four switches that feed information to the speed control. One for throttle roll-off, one for clutch dis-engagement, and one for each brake system. On my '02 RK, the speed control started to act whacky for a few months before it crapped out entirely. It would continue to accelerate (as you describe) or fail to hold a setting -- all at various times with no pattern. Finally, it crapped out entirely. I managed to retrieve the error code in the odometer window. The code said "in line throttle switch." The what?

Sure enough, there is a strange gizmo on the steering head that the throttle cable runs through. It is a switch that surrounds the roll-off cable of the throttle. It is a funky design and looking at it made me wonder how it could work at all. But, it's purpose is to interrupt the cruise if the rider rolls off the throttle. I'm hard pressed to understand that's what a rider would do in an emergency, but maybe that is exactly what an experienced rider would do out of habit. I dunno. Whatever, the switch is there for that purpose.

But, it does work and that switch was the source of all my problems. Upon replacing the switch, the cruise worked fine for many more years.

I presume the erratic behavior of the cruise prior to the total failure was due to various voltages being sent to the control units -- i.e. various stages of a short circuit leading up to complete closure and, subsequent, interruption of the cruise.

So, if someone said your problem was a faulty brake switch, and they had retrieved the error code that told them this, I'd believe them.
Thanks for that info, it makes things a bit clearer. I think if it had been explained better to me at the time, I would not have gotten so upset. I just could not wrap my head around the add-on brake light switch could possible make the throttle "grab' and accelerate on it's own, while giving a "brakes on" message to turn the cruise off. I'll let yall know what they finally find.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:45 AM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, great info.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is another glitch in the cruise system that can be very unsettling in the right situation. If you have your cruise set, and the fuse for the cruise blows, the cruise will NOT disengage with an application of the brakes or even by turning off the master switch. To disengage, the cruise must receive an electronic signal to disengage and without the fuse, no signal.
Only way to get it to disengage is to turn off the ignition switch and then back on very quicly. I found this the hard way, coming up on slower traffic with the cruise on while riding my 07 Ultra.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't understand the throttle roll off switch. If you have the cruise on, why would you be using the throttle at all?

Old 06-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Proudtexan
Novice

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
I don't understand the throttle roll off switch. If you have the cruise on, why would you be using the throttle at all?
It's not as confusing as it sounds, while yes, your using the cruise, you never keep your hand off of the throttle for long. It's actually safer to roll the throttle fwd to disengage the cruise, that way your not braking every time, especially in a group. It's not fun riding behind someone constantly hitting their brake to disengage, gets the yo-yo effect going real well on a group ride.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:11 PM
August
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dalton
There is another glitch in the cruise system that can be very unsettling in the right situation. If you have your cruise set, and the fuse for the cruise blows, the cruise will NOT disengage with an application of the brakes or even by turning off the master switch. To disengage, the cruise must receive an electronic signal to disengage and without the fuse, no signal.
Only way to get it to disengage is to turn off the ignition switch and then back on very quicly. I found this the hard way, coming up on slower traffic with the cruise on while riding my 07 Ultra.
Attourneys all over America are salivating...

Quick Reply: Cruise control runaway