Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline heavy ShockProof or V-Twin Tranny with ShockProof?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:27 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below is the email thread I had with redline a while back asking the exact same thing...Hope this helps!

Re: VTwin with Shock proof info please!‏
Sent: Tue 8/04/09 1:01 PM
To: jrudicel@hotmail.com

Jody,

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the V-Twin Transmission Oil and the ShockProof Heavy are the same products, just different packaging. I am sure you will be pleased with the results.

Regards, Dave

Red Line OilFrom: Jody Rudicel [mailto:jrudicel@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 11:14 AM
To: info@redlineoil.com
Subject: VTwin with Shock proof info please!

I am looking to use Redline inmy 2009 Harley Davidson FLHX 6 speed trans. My local dealer has the Vtwin Transmission oil with Shockproof in stock. Other people use the Shockproof Heavy? What is the difference in weights and /or which is best for my application or does it matter? Thanks alot..

The following users liked this post:
Zerk (05-18-2018)
Old 06-02-2010, 07:43 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

some manufacterer"s will label the same stuff differently, alot of guys wont use car oil in their bikes so the maker adds a v twin label and a few $ per quart and they eat it up.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jrudicel
Below is the email thread I had with redline a while back asking the exact same thing...Hope this helps!

Jody,

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the V-Twin Transmission Oil and the ShockProof Heavy are the same products, just different packaging. I am sure you will be pleased with the results.

Regards, Dave

I am looking to use Redline inmy 2009 Harley Davidson FLHX 6 speed trans. My local dealer has the Vtwin Transmission oil with Shockproof in stock. Other people use the Shockproof Heavy? What is the difference in weights and /or which is best for my application or does it matter? Thanks alot..
At the risk of being crucified for not only reviving an old thread, but an oil thread no less, I'd like to thank Jody for posting this e-mail with Redline. There just nothing quite like hearing it straight from the horses mouth. I hate oil threads and had do do a bunch of weeding through crappy, annoying, argumentative, opinionated, bashing, oil threads to find what I was looking for.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:10 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Nice to know they are the same stuff. I can get Heavy Shockproof from a local hot rod shop, the local bike dealers don't seem to handle Redline products.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:42 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

I run the Redline cuz when put the Baker trans in that is what was recommended at the time.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:32 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,252 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by Dew Me
At the risk of being crucified for not only reviving an old thread, but an oil thread no less, I'd like to thank Jody for posting this e-mail with Redline. There just nothing quite like hearing it straight from the horses mouth. I hate oil threads and had do do a bunch of weeding through crappy, annoying, argumentative, opinionated, bashing, oil threads to find what I was looking for.
FWIW, their web page says the exact same thing, that they are the same oils.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:43 PM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I know it makes trans shift smooth and quiet. And after extreme abuse in mountains and then in the gridlock heat of the 2 million biker ride, stuff came out looking and smelling ok. So Im sold on it.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:46 PM
qball1968
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run both in my Road King and they seem exactly the same to my ear. Both quiet the trans down a bit. Will be putting the V-Twin in my girl's Road Glide next change.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:51 PM
davep
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Belray in trany for 50000 miles and no problems and trany quiet..09 ultra

Old 05-18-2018, 08:40 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by jrudicel

Jody,

Regards, Dave

Good to read. I need an extra 6 ounces from my old $14 bottle of shockproof to mix with $20 bottle of V-twon transmission with shockproof.
Article on Redlines site said the same.

Though it looks like shockproof is not $20 too.

Crazy for a quart and crazy increase. What I got will fill my two bikes with 5 and 6 speeds. I don't know what I'll do. Not so much the money, feel like I am being gouged.

Thouh I ike the red so I can identify leaks, and I am probably to lazy and won't think about it before I need it again.

Any one know a good source? I really don't want to buy bulk at this price, but I might if there was savings/

Anyone know a different coor for primary that red or Syn 3?

https://www.redlineoil.com/v-twin-tr...r-transmission
Many Red Line fans started using this product in its automotive packaging, known as Heavy ShockProof® Gear Oil. The same product is now packaged as V-Twin Transmission Oil.

Quick Reply: Redline heavy ShockProof or V-Twin Tranny with ShockProof?