Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAPA 15w50 Synthetic Oil/$3.19 qt

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:51 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So oil for a water cooled engine(auto)is Identical to oil for a non water cooled engine when it comes to Bikes.Hmmmmmm I wounder if Honda,Kawi,Suz guys run GM/Ford AF in thier water cooled bikes.

oil threads are good/funny/sad but most of all Entertaining...

Old 06-05-2010, 02:36 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
That cheap NAPA oil is probably just recycled oil they collect from places like jiffy lube and walmart that's been strained to get the clumps out. That's what I've heard anyway.

Thats bullshit .. Thats why I like hanging here .. guys like you that know everything ..
I was told .. Duhhh

Old 06-05-2010, 02:53 PM
NECaveman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, drain out all that cheap NAPA $3.99 a quart oil and service your bike with a good quality “MOTORCYCLE” synthetic oil. I highly suggest not to service your bikes with any oil unless it is specifically blended for “MOTORCYCLES” and includes the API label.

Will a non motorcycle oil ruin the engine and/or clutch? No for the daily rider street bike or even the cross country rider. If your running a track bike that is a different discussion. However, today there are oils (synthetic and dino) blended specifically for the street bike that provide far better lubrication, cooling, and protection compared to oils blended for an automobile engine.

Disagree with this if you want. This info is an extract off the Mobile1 website for motorcycle oils: Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum. Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous).

Old 06-05-2010, 02:55 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use it, if it focks up, let us know, I doubt it will!

Old 06-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

I just sked in another thread about Valvoline 20w50 full syn oil...I like Valvoline,,just wondering if anyone used it

Old 06-05-2010, 03:13 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 96roadking
use it, if it focks up, let us know, I doubt it will!
Bought some last fall when it was going for $2.99/qt and has been in for about 1400 miles now. Just picked up a few more quarts today...

Old 06-05-2010, 03:44 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by IDIDNTDOIT
Yeah.... I have managed a NAPA store for 16yrs. We require our cutomers to bring back their wate oil so we can strain it and put it in new bottles/labels in the back room during our breaks.
See. I told ya.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:58 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dc
Thats bullshit .. Thats why I like hanging here .. guys like you that know everything ..
I was told .. Duhhh

nothing brings out the passion like an oil thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:19 PM
mmont
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

If it don't have H-D on the bottle it aint genuine oil and don't belong in a Harley. My dealer told me so. Ha!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:38 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger56528
So oil for a water cooled engine(auto)is Identical to oil for a non water cooled engine when it comes to Bikes.Hmmmmmm I wounder if Honda,Kawi,Suz guys run GM/Ford AF in thier water cooled bikes.

oil threads are good/funny/sad but most of all Entertaining...
Honda's oil lubes the engine and tranny. They have a wet clutch and you shouldn't use an oil that is not JASO rated in them. Auto oils have too much slick stuff in them that can mess with the wet clutch and should not be used.

Quick Reply: NAPA 15w50 Synthetic Oil/$3.19 qt