Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S easy start cams . . . Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Stoood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up S&S East Start 551's/570's. Answer to my Prayers???

Do a search on "1.725 rockers" and read the nightmare I've had pairing SE 204's, SE1.725 Rockers, an SE 103' kit, V&H Duals, Sampson turn-outs, & a Super-Tuner. ALSO a few Thousand in Heavy Duty Dirve-Train components, TWO Dyno tunes, a $32,000 MotoTrike/FLHTCU (now up to $45,000), and the trip to the East Coast, the Carolina's, etc. I'm NOT on due to an inversion or some other related problem. I'm getting 25mpg, 68hp/90tq, and could get by (83 ft. Lbs. at 1800), BUT I need more power to pull my 500 pound camper for thousands of miles. I WAS running HOT @ 285+ degrees (HD oil cooler and Baker +1 pan keeps me around 245 deg NOW), Bob Woods told me the rockers would mushroom my pushrods AND wear out other items, as they are taking many HUNDREDS of pounds to actuate. In short, I'm afraid to start out on a 5 month trip I've planned for 25 years w/ these issues. Woods told me to remove and toss the rockers, the shop neglected to install compression releases (like I insisted), I'm out of time as winter's coming, BUT, the S&S Easy Start Cams could be dropped in, and I could be on my way! Questions: 1.) With over one TON to move with my Trike and Camper, which cams, the 551's or 570's, & how much TQ will they produce ? I need clutch out and rolling at 1500 to 1700 RPM Max., and smooth operation as I slug the motor down to 1500 RPM in the parking lots and campgrounds. 2.) What kind of Lifters should I pair with the new S&S Cams I'm going to order TODAY? 3.) What are the quietest mufflers I can have Fed-X'ed to me that won't bounce noise back off my 5 foot high aluminum camper? I've tried Sampsons, Pythons, Kury's, & gutted Stocks. Anything that will fit an '08 FLHTCU will fit my trike.
-IF this get's me on the road WITH Pulling Power, HOT Starting, Reliability, and Mileage, Y'all meet me for a Steak @ my place!

Old 10-29-2010, 11:54 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

BUMP to the top

Old 10-29-2010, 12:04 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoood
Do a search on "1.725 rockers" and read the nightmare I've had pairing SE 204's, SE1.725 Rockers, an SE 103' kit, V&H Duals, Sampson turn-outs, & a Super-Tuner. ALSO a few Thousand in Heavy Duty Dirve-Train components, TWO Dyno tunes, a $32,000 MotoTrike/FLHTCU (now up to $45,000), and the trip to the East Coast, the Carolina's, etc. I'm NOT on due to an inversion or some other related problem. I'm getting 25mpg, 68hp/90tq, and could get by (83 ft. Lbs. at 1800), BUT I need more power to pull my 500 pound camper for thousands of miles. I WAS running HOT @ 285+ degrees (HD oil cooler and Baker +1 pan keeps me around 245 deg NOW), Bob Woods told me the rockers would mushroom my pushrods AND wear out other items, as they are taking many HUNDREDS of pounds to actuate. In short, I'm afraid to start out on a 5 month trip I've planned for 25 years w/ these issues. Woods told me to remove and toss the rockers, the shop neglected to install compression releases (like I insisted), I'm out of time as winter's coming, BUT, the S&S Easy Start Cams could be dropped in, and I could be on my way! Questions: 1.) With over one TON to move with my Trike and Camper, which cams, the 551's or 570's, & how much TQ will they produce ? I need clutch out and rolling at 1500 to 1700 RPM Max., and smooth operation as I slug the motor down to 1500 RPM in the parking lots and campgrounds. 2.) What kind of Lifters should I pair with the new S&S Cams I'm going to order TODAY? 3.) What are the quietest mufflers I can have Fed-X'ed to me that won't bounce noise back off my 5 foot high aluminum camper? I've tried Sampsons, Pythons, Kury's, & gutted Stocks. Anything that will fit an '08 FLHTCU will fit my trike.
-IF this get's me on the road WITH Pulling Power, HOT Starting, Reliability, and Mileage, Y'all meet me for a Steak @ my place!
Dang dude. Sounds like you need a truck, not a trike!

A Goldwing trike will do what you want. Stock.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Stoood
Cruiser
Thumbs up There's just something about a Harley . . .

Yea, I still own 4 Hondas, a Kaw dragster, etc. and looked at Goldwings very seriously. My late Father started out on a 1929 Harley JD (OVHD Valves, Cast Iron Pistons, he was once clocked at over 80 mph!). He then went to WWII, lived through the South Pacific Asiatic tour in the Army Air Corp,, ordered a new 1946, 61ci shortly after he got home. He and my late Mother started on their tour of ALL the national parks. Next was a '52 Pan, on which they finished over a decade of touring the good old USA. In '69 he found and restored a '47 knuckle-head 61ci (it's still hidden away, but ridden regularly). THEN, in 1971, he ordered a shiny Orange 750 Honda four, loaded. And no longer was he invited on many a ride, because he rode a "Rice Burner", something he never understood. I still own 6 "Ricers", but just have this thing about riding a "Classy New Antique", I guess that's why I Luv Harleys, regardless of the expense, TLC, etc. I will say that my '83 Shovel toured regular for 17 years before ANYTHING broke, and then it was only an open ignition coil. That's pretty good, and it's still a regular ride. I think my friends would faint or haul me off to the Looney Bin if I showed up on anything but a loaded Harley now days. Y'all understand, don't Ya' ?

PS. Dropped the Trike off at the shop last night, ordered a set of the S&S easy start 551 torque cams, and I just picked up a set of S&S 80db SPO cans. S&S emailed me, and said I shoud have loads of torque from zero to 4000 RPM with the combo. I'd like top end too, but you can't have both I am finding (who needs to cruise over 100 anyway?). Cylerama calims THEIR NEW cams will do it, but I got a combination that should work well now, as far as Tractors go anyhow! With the 551's, am I better off w/ my 103 at 9.9 to 1, or should I go to Cometic .030 head gaskets to get her a bit above 10 to 1? Ride Safe!

Old 10-30-2010, 03:45 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Default What the heck ??

Originally Posted by Stoood
Hopefully you get the trike sorted out for your trip I have the 204's/1.725's all ready to be installed in my 96" in a few months. The only other person I know with the 204/1.725 combo is boogalodude and he's very happy with his 103" set-up. The 204/1.725 isn't too crazy of a combo so I wonder what is up? Good luck with the new S&S cams and hope it runs well for you... Troop

Old 10-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Stoood
Cruiser

Thanks TROOP! I had a long conversation w/ Bob Woods last week, and with what I just discovered, I am thinking I should CANCEL my S&S order, and use his 5-6 cams. Read this post I made on onother thread and see what you think,

"I JUST ordered a set of the 551's for my trike (103", 9.9 to 1) after much research, and noticed that on the website promoting the cams, http://www.sscycle.com/feature/featureview.php?s_id=10 , it shows a "stock" 96" as producing 71.7 HP, with torque at 88 Ft. Lbs. With this as reference, the 98.8 peak torque that the 551 makes on their Dyno, (in reference to a stocker making 88), is not very impressive. I was about to order Woods TW-5-6 cams when I jumped on the S&S band wagon. I even called and talked to Bob Woods himself. Now I'm thinking the 551's may not be the way to go. Comments?