Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowout at 80 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:16 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you handled it very well. Most time people panic and make a bad situation worse. Way to keep keeping your wits about you and realized what was going on. Glad to hear a good comment of the LEO! Seems like the bad apples get all the press.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scary stuff. I had new tires put on the bike and the indy used an automotive valve stem on the front wheel. I lost all the air out of the front tire at 75 mph. I managed to keep it upright, but I was sure glad I was one-up. Then I waited for over an hour on I-35 before anyone would even stop! By the time I got a wrecker out there, it was almost 2 hours. I'm just glad it wasn't in the heat like we are having now...

Old 06-21-2010, 05:10 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain

Gliden - you wanted to know what to do when this happens. When it happened to me I posted what I did and asked if anyone knew what the "official" way to handle it is. Got some guidance but nothing contradicting what I did. What I did when it happened (and it broke into a 50% weave/50% slap type of thing - a real fast weave nearly as quick as a slap but from the rear wheel area) I went for weight transfer (this was 2-up on a Road King with Tourpak) by shifting weight forward, slightly standing on the boards (lower CoG) and progressively easing the front brake on to transfer weight more to the front wheel where I knew there wasn't a problem. Hit the turn signals and cut across the lanes using mirrors as best I could (didn't dare take a look over my shoulder). Hope this helps. If anyone else knows a better technique I'll hear it, also what to do if the front goes would be interesting.

Last edited by fxdxrider; 06-21-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:21 PM
malteseyo
Road Master

Wow, that really is scary. Thank goodness you were able to work through it, good job keeping it upright. That was very nice of the police officer to have you get in the air conditioned car and give you something to drink. I agree that they get a bad rap most of the time.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

When my front went, I was 2-up, so I already had weight on the rear tire. The steering went to hell, and the bike didn't want to lean. I used rear brake only to slow down. Kept a very loose grip on the bars, as they were moving around quite a bit. When I took the exit ramp to get off the Beltway, I had to fight to get the bike to turn, just took it really slowly.

I gotta say, the ME880 held up phenomenally well, and the rim never touched asphalt.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default blow out

Originally Posted by fxdxrider
Gliden - you wanted to know what to do when this happens. When it happened to me I posted what I did and asked if anyone knew what the "official" way to handle it is. Got some guidance but nothing contradicting what I did. What I did when it happened (and it broke into a 50% weave/50% slap type of thing - a real fast weave nearly as quick as a slap but from the rear wheel area) I went for weight transfer (this was 2-up on a Road King with Tourpak) by shifting weight forward, slightly standing on the boards (lower CoG) and progressively easing the front brake on to transfer weight more to the front wheel where I knew there wasn't a problem. Hit the turn signals and cut across the lanes using mirrors as best I could (didn't dare take a look over my shoulder). Hope this helps. If anyone else knows a better technique I'll hear it, also what to do if the front goes would be interesting.

FX...Thanks alot.....
THis is some scary stuff......
I did wipe out on this bike when I first got it....I locked up the rear and she immeadiatly went wipping back n forth violently and through me over on my side and I went for a ride shinney side down in the shoulder of a highway.

It happened so fast and I couldnt recover.....
Wasent even a blow out....
It was a brand new bike with brembos and I was used to my old fat boy 1993...who's rear brake I'd have to stand on to get it to stop.....

I've never had a "blowout" and the thought of one at the speeds I ride just scare the crap out of me.
Thanks for the info....glad it worked out for you...

Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Feedsack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1/4 inchsize roll pin

Dealer found a roll pin the tire. That is probably why the Ride-On couldnt seal it until it went flat.
I didnt have a air pump (I do now) i dint have a couple of shots of co 2 with me (I do now) .

On a happy note though the tire didnt cost me anything because of the tire protection from Harley.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

I had a rear tire blow out on a Sportster years ago at about 50 and fortunately was able to lean forward, stay off the rear brake and get it off the road. That puckered place will come out of the seat in a few days

Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 PM
JHeiser
Cruiser

Glad to hear you and your bride kept your ride upright - it could have been so much worse. On an old Honda Shadow I had a blow out on the rear tire doing about 75 MPH and it's something I hope I don't ever have to go through again.

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. My nephews are LEO (one is DEA and one is a Deputy) and I tell them all the time to do the right thing - treat good people in trouble (car, truck, rv or bike broke down etc) the way they would want to be treated if it were them in the same position. But, also trust no one expect for themselves and or their partner\fellow LEO.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:57 PM
jbrayls
6th Gear

I just had a very similar experience on my '09 Street Glide northwest of San Antonio. Glad everything worked out well for you.

Quick Reply: Blowout at 80 MPH