Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting my new FLHX to sound like a Harley!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 PM
SGGERLOCK
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my new FLHX to sound like a Harley!!

I just bought a 2010 street glide and the guy in the parts desk suggested I get the Thunder Header slip on.. So i went with that slip on and now this other parts guy is telling I need to get the dyno tuner and the big ait kit.. Is the right will the slip on mess up my bike and run really hot? This went from $300 to $1300.. I need some help...

Old 07-01-2010, 12:06 AM
tslonige
Road Captain

You don't need a Dyno with only an exhaust change. I would seriously watch keep your hand on your wallet around those guys. Only is you change to a hi flow air intake will you need a Dyno or fuel management system.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:39 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

For a slip on only you do not need a tune! If you add a higher flowing air filter or intake then you do. But you don't have to get the SE race tuner, there are plenty of other cheaper options out there!
Just so you know a few people have been having there slip ons turn yellow because of the heat of the cat in the 2010 head pipes, i did even with the stage I down load. Dealer said they can't warrenty cosmedic only if it affected the performance of the bike.
A SE race tuner or a PCV might fix this but not sure? You might want to hold out and do some research on a new full exhaust set up that doesnt have the cat converter, IMHO.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:11 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tslonige
You don't need a Dyno with only an exhaust change. I would seriously watch keep your hand on your wallet around those guys. Only is you change to a hi flow air intake will you need a Dyno or fuel management system.
Well said.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:31 AM
zoomin
Advanced

My RUSH 2.0 yellowed with stage 1 and remap. Dealer wanted to fix it for about 1400.00 for new pipes and dyno. Talked with RUSH and said pipes to restrictive with cat and recommended larger baffle so changed baffle from 2" to 2.5" and so far no problem after a 1000 miles.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:36 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

No way a stock bike needs a 2 1/2" baffle; my 113" only runs a 2 1/2" and it flows too easily causing a little torque loss.

It may keep the heat down with the cat installed but you will not get the best performance out of your bike running that baffle.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:56 AM
zoomin
Advanced

May have lost a little torque but the bike still runs great with just a stage 1 and tune and my pipe hasn't changed color like it did prior to the change.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:10 AM
randytro
Banned
Exclamation Ied

Last edited by randytro; 08-15-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:33 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomin
May have lost a little torque but the bike still runs great with just a stage 1 and tune and my pipe hasn't changed color like it did prior to the change.
It probably will over time if it's not double walled. Took about a year for my Rush to start yellowing and it's a very small spot. 2.5" baffles on a stock 96" motor is a definite loss of torque. The recommendation is 2.25" maximum on a stock 96" build. You may not notice much by the seat of your pants, but when you run with a few well tuned bikes, you'll notice you're spending a lot of time chasing them.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:42 AM
SlowGlide2989
Advanced

Well let all the gear heads and Harley experts chime in and flame me but...

Harley downloads, and tunes are really a waste unless you really just wan a few extra ponies.

From what i understand to a certain extent... Intake and exhaust is fine.. Why you ask? Well the newer delphi fuel injection will correct for these changes but it will only keep the AR at the stock 14.7. Now you can go get a download or whatever but they will not change your 14.7 AR. Unless you go do a full tune. A download mainly consist of some timeing changes.

Me personally, I am going to be running an intake, a 2 into 1 martin bros with no baffle, with some IEDS from nightrider. They lower your AR to 13.8.

Please dont hold me accountable for this info, as I am just like 90% of the rest on here, this is what i was lectured. But it was the first time something really made sense to me. Harley downloads are a rip.

Quick Reply: Getting my new FLHX to sound like a Harley!!