Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had to go check mine and found the rear header a little loose, but not bad. When I used to run Reinharts I carried a little 1/2" wrench just to check the header bolts... it was necessary.
This forum drives me nuts!!! I keep thinking I hear noise in my front end now and worried its a damn bearing. It's just tire noise, but with all the bearing failures and hitting 22K on my 09, I am starting to worry.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Dalbergia
Tourer

Originally Posted by ***** G.
If you don't have any leaks and are going to spend money to stop the popping anyway, I suggest talking to Fuel Moto, dumping the SERT and getting a PCV. They will map it for your bike with whatever parts you have on it. To my knowledge the SERT is only programmable from a dealer. Fuel Moto has excellent customer service and free map downloads from PC.
Technically, the SERT isn't offered any more. They could be used to tune the EFI it was married to by anyone with a computer and the cables. It was made by The Turbo Shop (TTS), they now sell an upgraded version as the Master Tuner. HD sells their new SEPST, I can't comment on it since I haven't used one. You will find a lot of info comparing the two products on this site (and others)...

Last edited by Dalbergia; 07-18-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Dalbergia
Tourer

Originally Posted by ***** G.
Let me clarify, He said "a tune it would be 4-5 hours of labor at $125 an hour"
Nothing against Jamie or FuelMoto (I've read a lot of good things about him/them), but that quote on a tune is out of line. A lot of places that do good tuning are flat rate, often in the $250 range (not counting the cost of the tuner, just the tune).

Old 07-18-2010, 09:00 PM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dalbergia
Nothing against Jamie or FuelMoto (I've read a lot of good things about him/them), but that quote on a tune is out of line. A lot of places that do good tuning are flat rate, often in the $250 range (not counting the cost of the tuner, just the tune).
If I think I actually need a tune I am going to ask around about some local independent shops to get some options. I too thought that the price sounded a little high.

I had a baptism to attend today so I did not get much tinkering time, but after I got home I rode the bike around for a little while then came home and tried to tighten down the clamps at the mufflers. Still popping quite a bit, so I think that this week when I have time I am going to get some new clamps and the sealant and give that a shot.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice...

Phil

Old 07-19-2010, 07:11 AM
skdvr
Tourer

Another Question.

For the clamps and sealant can I get those at a Auto Parts store? If so what size is the clamp?

Thanks
Phil

Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by skdvr
Another Question.

For the clamps and sealant can I get those at a Auto Parts store? If so what size is the clamp?

Thanks
Phil
Auto Parts stores like Napa, Autozone, PepBoys or Advanced AP don't carry this kind of exhaust clamps, at least not the ones where I live. Your HD dealer has them, they cost around 7 bucks a piece. I bought 2 when I installed my true duals 2 weeks ago.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:23 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Usually the popping in an exhust is from an air leak somewhere in the system. If a competent tech dyno'd the bike when it was tuned lean shouldn't be an issue. Of course, someone could've messed with the map, or someone has no clue when it comes to tuning, but I'd look for a loose connection, crack, or hole in the system somewhere.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:40 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

had my SERT/dynoed going on four yrs, still love it.
I also had lots of popping on decell. tuned did the usual adjustment for A/F, didnt help.
Ended up being he didn't get the clamps on correctly and I had air leaks in both pipes.
He ended up pulling both pipes and resealed and installed new clamps ( suppose to use new ones every time) to finally get them sealed,, then they retuned again.. all on there dime.
That got rid of 95% of it.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:09 AM
skdvr
Tourer

Alright thanks... I should be able to make it to a HD dealer tomorrow.

For the person that asked if I had the MAP from when it was tuned, I meant to look yesterday and I forgot. I will try to look for it today. It may be in the box with all the SERT stuff, but I do not remember seing to much in there...

Phil

Old 07-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by skdvr
Alright thanks... I should be able to make it to a HD dealer tomorrow.

For the person that asked if I had the MAP from when it was tuned, I meant to look yesterday and I forgot. I will try to look for it today. It may be in the box with all the SERT stuff, but I do not remember seing to much in there...

Phil
It will be a computer file. It would be on a cd, memory stick or emailed to you. If sealing up the exhaust doesn't work (Ithink that will be most of your issues) we can adjust the map to eliminate the rest.

Quick Reply: Popping Exhaust Question