Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:01 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Something just don't add up here, but who am I to say? The oil being thin as water in 90+ weather wouldn't bother me in the least. Oil does not have to be "thick" to lubricate as many think, at that temp I would expect it to run right off the dipstick only leaving a film, as it should. The fact that it was "black as tar" would concern me, especially on fresh Amsoil after 1400 miles. When I drain the Amsoil out of my '08, it is still clear after 5000 miles, the color is a bit darker, more to a dark brown instead of the "like new" golden color, but not black. My shovel is always black but we know that is just blow by because of tolerance, shouldn't be nothing like that on your '08. Let us know how it goes with your new oil .....

Old 07-30-2010, 09:02 AM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I normally just read the threads but I want to respond to this one. I switched to mobil 1 15-50 syn. you can buy at walmart for 23 bucks for a 5 qt. jug. This oil is designed for heavy duty use such as towing vehicles. I have 15 hundred miles on my last change, ridding in 90 to 95 degree heat, and the oil is still clear. I have no motor noise or issues. Go figurer.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:10 AM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bradd Penn V2 20W50 Motorcycle, best oil you will find if you can find it..

Old 07-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am certainly not disputing your story in any way. I have run Amsoil in many applications and have not had this experience. It is usually one of the more shear resistant oils out there. This resistance to shear leads to a pretty good viscosity stability. It would have been nice to have a UOA to better understand what happened. Could have been a bad batch from Amsoil or something like that. I run mine here in the south with 90 to 100 degree days and try to keep an eye on the oil. At the end of 5000 miles it still looks good and retains the viscosity very close to original. Very interesting experience which I will file in the mental bank to look out for. I will never say Amsoil is "the best", but I feel it is one of the top brands out there.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I myself am curious if you did the oil change yourself. No oil should do that but I am a die hard Amsoil fan and never had a problem. Point being that I do change my own oil and am meticulous about it in that I make sure I get every drop of the old oil out. If someone else changed your oil who knows what they did or used.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Mobile 1 acually has a higher heat rating than Amsoil.Amsoil is supposidly made of a better base stock.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:54 AM
SFTL 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 18BKLR
Bradd Penn V2 20W50 Motorcycle, best oil you will find if you can find it..
While Bradd Penn V2 may be an excellent mineral based oil, it is still a mineral based oil. In the summer while riding in 90+ degree temps & high humidity, if I get stuck in a traffic jam, it's not uncommon to see my oil temp hitting 250 degrees. I don't know about you, but personally I would not want anything other than the best "all" synthetic oil in my engine at those temps...

Old 07-30-2010, 10:01 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
No Ron, the mechanic had already contaminated the motor oil with the primary oil before I had a chance to save some. Not only that but, I don't care to litigate with an oil company over their oil. It would be just more money to fight it in court and not worth it in my opinion. Like my signature says, " Some things you just have to learn yourself ". I am done with Amsoil.
See quote below as that is the same thing I was going to say.

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I didn't mean litigate with them Dave. I meant they would probably appreciate the chance to see what happened to the oil. And it would tell you exactly what happened. I'm not taking Amsoil's side. I'm saying with a statement like you just made on this forum. It could change a lot of Biker's mind's about using Amsoil. Just Saying!
Plus, if they discovered something out of the ordinary, they may have worked with you on some restitution. No litigation required.

Originally Posted by mcrider1
What kind of oil did they replace it with for you to finnish your 7,500 miles? Did you hear the same noises on the rest of your trip?
I believe he stated in a later post that he put Syn3 in it.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:04 AM
jimski
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you put the Amsoil in yourself, Dave? Or, if you had it done, do you know the guy well enough to be confident that he installed Amsoil?

The reason I ask is that if you brought it to a shop or dealer and asked them to put Amsoil in, it's pssible that they screwed up and put something else in. I know it's not probable but it IS possible. I have been using Amsoil since 1992 in cars, motorcyles, boats and even a lawnmower and have never encountered a problem of any kind. However, any company can have a bad production run. Even a company with a good reputation like Amsoil.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, I've been running Amsoil for years in both my twin cams. I just changed the oil in my bagger Tuesday. The Amsoil had over 4000 miles on it including a California trip from Colorado, which included a Pacific Coast Highway run. The oil was still very thick at over 200 degrees when I drained it. That baggers 103 is really quiet with Amsoil.

Sorry, but I think there is more to this story than has been posted. That oil must have been contaminated or some such.

Quick Reply: Amsoil experience