Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer week at Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Kidharley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time going for us. I have to ride the first time. I would trailer though if I had a toy hauler that I was staying in. We had planned on camping at the Chip but fell into a great deal not far from main street.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm having mine shipped. Not even trailering it myself (in fact, its already on its way) flying in Thursday for 5 days and flying back. Already thinking next year I may ship it out again and spend 10 days riding Wyoming, Colorado, New Mx and Utah instead of doing Sturgis... It's the right time of year, the shipping rate is great, and it puts me in the heart of of what I may not see otherwise.... We'll just see what next year brings!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

I'll chime in on this. Trailering it in the toy hauler 5th wheel. We plan on putting 2500 miles on the bikes between Sturgis riding, Yellowstone, and Southern CO. Staying in the 5th wheel is much more comfortable and enjoyable to me than staying in motels. Nothing like ending a nice long day riding by sitting around a campfire drinking a nice cold beer and then sleeping in a nice comfortable bed.

Basically going to use the 5th wheel as a home base.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 PM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I trailered out in 02. All 3 of us that went were active duty Army at the time and regardless of weather, etc., when our leave was over we HAD to be back. Besides, rotating drivers, we were able to drive the 26 hours straight.

This year I'm trailering again. I wanted to ride but the lodging options we found for our group (6) were so expensive. Then a friend offered his RV for nothing, so one thing led to another and now we're staying at the Buffalo Chip. Rotating drivers again to maximize party time. Vacation days are few and precious.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Frankbur
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't take three weeks off from work, Last year I flew out and rented while my brother and buddies had theirs shipped. We still racked up 2,000+ miles.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:28 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
I am Riding Mine because going for the Ride more than the Destination am 61 and this may be my last one .. But if I wanted to trailer it wouldn't give a **** what anyone else thought about it ..
Exactly my thoughts as well. If you're riding, then I assume your riding for the trip, not for the brownie points. If I had to get there early, or if I just didn't feel like riding all the way, then I'd trailer it and not give a rats *** what anyone thought about it. I'm just not judgemental. Do whatever makes you happy. Just don't place your neurosis on me, and vice versa.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Orion1369
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

We just bought a new 33 foot fifth wheel toy hauler just to **** you off!!! By the way the fridge keeps the beer good and cold.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:37 PM
spacelord
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krom nutz
Riding....Leavin North TX before crack o'dawn Tue or Wed. 1200 mi. My buddies pussed out on me this year.We were going to trailer to CO to beat some of the heat. Its my first time so I want the Tshirt. Wish me luck. Runnin up 385 in from the South. Supposed to be a cooling trend Tue-wed down from 105 to 103-102
Just a heads up. I rode south on 385 in Colorado week before last. There's road construction between Hiways 34 & 36. Down to one lane with a wait for the pilot car of about 30 minutes. Also as of then the one lane that was open was a mix of gravel, old concrete and dirt. Just so you know. Sent PM also

Old 08-02-2010, 02:45 PM
spacelord
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
I am Riding Mine because going for the Ride more than the Destination am 61 and this may be my last one .. But if I wanted to trailer it wouldn't give a **** what anyone else thought about it ..
I agree with you and everyone else as to not caring whether it's ridden or trailered. In fact I'm thinking about buying a trailer so we can get a little farther from home on my 1 week vacations. That being said... How many of you have ridden there and pimped the hell out of friends or relatives who trailered?

I've only been one time and I rode while my brother in law trailered. He will never hear the end of it!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In my opinion, if your not going to ride why bother going. I'm riding 700mi, it's the best part of the trip.

Quick Reply: Trailer week at Sturgis