Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Rain Gear Works Well?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:03 PM
hdmg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Rain Gear Works Well?

I'm looking to purchase some good quality rain gear. I have been using my Bass Pro Shops 100MPH rain suit with Gore Tex but find it too bulky and space consuming for motorcycle use. Great for boating and fishing.

My previous experience with $50 - $100 nylon rain suits is that they only repel water for a short period. When you sit on a wet seat the water soaks through. They only seem to prolong the inevitable of getting wet.

I don't see much in the motorcycle catalogs for anything but this kind of product. Harley make a gore tex outfit but the local dealer doesn't stock it and I have to buy it for them to bring it in.

What is everyone else using, and is it really effective for touring in the rain without your crotch getting soaked through?

Old 08-21-2010, 08:09 PM
UltraDave
Road Captain

I bought a set from the HD dealer. It was like $150. I have the set that is orange for high visibility. Works very well and have ridden for couple hours at a time in the rain and was high and dry.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,392 Likes on 3,302 Posts

Overpass but it's a bit bulky...The HD packable is nice...You may want to look at the First Gear...good product for the buck. I like my Overpass though...

Old 08-21-2010, 08:12 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the sam HD one that cost about 150 and it does work very good. Just buy bigger that you normally would because if its raining you will probablly have all your gear on.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

I just bought a set of Harley's Mens Hi-Vis after giving a set to my son last Christmas.
My old Harley suit finally gave out after purchasing it in '94.
Here's the link to the one I bought, they are available in tall sizes too.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...S&default=true

Old 08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
firedog341
Cruiser

I have the HD Gore-Tex set including the Gators. Have ridden for days in rain and stayed dry. I use them when it has been just plain cold to keep the icy wind off me and I stayed warm. All the gear packs up into the lower half of one of my bags. They are $$$$, but you get what you pay for.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I also recommend HD Hi Vis. The best rainsuit i've tried to date. I just bought the gators because I was dry everywhere except my feet. Hard to find comfortable boots that are waterproof. The gators work and are easy to get on and off.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:28 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on the h-d rain suit

Old 08-21-2010, 08:37 PM
bldap
Tourer

Harley Hi-Res. This suit will keep you dry, Period.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:19 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I also recommend HD Hi Vis. The best rainsuit i've tried to date. I just bought the gators because I was dry everywhere except my feet. Hard to find comfortable boots that are waterproof. The gators work and are easy to get on and off.
Ron take a look at Swat brand boots, paid less than $100 (at a rally) for my 13E's and quite waterproof so far. Several styles to choose from, mine lace up to start but have zipper on inside. Very light, built in gel pad and air sole and extremely comfortable.

+1 on the HD Hi Vis, works well (even long term) and I got em for about $100 for me and wife with dealer discount.

Quick Reply: What Rain Gear Works Well?