Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid dealer/salesman tricks....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:56 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying a new bike cash outright....only a stupid **** would not shop around the best price.
If you are trading your old scoot in, you know what it is worth, why would you settle for anything less.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:58 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Before I bought my '09 Ultra I shopped both HD stores in town and even the Honda dealer (I know, had to ride a 'Wing before deciding). I had an '02 RK Classic to trade.

The closest store to me: the salesman had the bike I wanted on the floor, but he also had is own personal '09 Ultra for sale, used...tried pushing me onto his bike and I said nah, I want a new one. He balked on price and trade figures for my RK. I went back to him once more a few days later; price on the new bike apparently went up $400 bucks. I walked out went to the HD store on the other side of town, found my new bike out in the rain, got a good trade figure and picked up my Ultra the next morning.

The first dealer's saleman was trying to sell his personal bike; not the new one. I would have rather dealt with the closer dealer, but the sales guy was such a douche about his. I still buy parts from the closer dealer, he sees me roll up on my Ultra every time. Dumb s**t...

Sell me what I want...I'm spending my money after all!

Old 09-03-2010, 01:01 PM
VirtualNorm
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the research on the bike i wanted and had a good idea of what I wanted trade in on my bike. I then emailed every dealership within 200 miles i think giving them the specifics on my trade in, the bike I wanted, and the price I wanted to spend. Within 15 minutes the phone was ringing.

One thing to remember, you are the customer and you should get what you want. If its not, walk away. There is always another dealership that will take your $...

Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Tombo359
Cruiser

I was shopping for a 2010 Limited last Fall, but I wanted the Black Ice/White Ice Combo that wasn't going to be available until January. I was at an event at the closest dealer and asked about the new bike and the salesman says he needs $1,500 to reserve it. I go to another dealer about 20 miles away and they only want $1,000 to reserve the bike. Eventually I run into another salesman at the first place and he wants to deal, but neither will budge off the MSRP on the new bike, they just want to negotiate the trade on my '02. One low ***** me on the trade and the other gives me a good number right away. I end up going back the local dealer because he gives me the best number on the trade. But you need to let them know you will walk if they don't want to deal. For you it is a new motorcycle, for them it is just another unit moving out the door.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Len
Road Captain

And, the good news!
Got mine from Mike Moran at San Diego Harley!
Great bike; great person; great dealer!
I have it serviced at Tucson, Harley - great dealer, great people . . .

Old 09-03-2010, 01:35 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i tryed to buy a new 2003 (in 04) softail standard, i had cash in my pocket, i was 1200 short for asking price+build up+ taxes..they wouldnt budge on price or finance the differance. so i bought a used bike elsewere

Last edited by j1mmy; 04-15-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:55 PM
ebigfish
Road Captain
Default you can't have it. You're not a cop!

I wanted a 2010 police glide. local dealer told me forget it... he's right... I'm not a cop.

went home and google'd 2010 hd police bike.. and found dealers all over the country w/ new cop glides. Big Sky in Montana made me the best deal, So I flew out and rode it back thru Yellowstone and big horn mountains.. lovely ride.

local dealer got to do the 1000 mile service on it. but that's all they got.

play me for a putz... you looz.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:56 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried to buy at the local dealer twice. First time I told them exactly what I wanted (which they had in stock), and wanted the know their best price. I called THREE times (and sent e-mails), no response. Stopped in once but everyone was "busy."

Contacted a smaller dealership south of where I live, they immediately provided me with a much better price on the same bike over the phone, and said if I come in they'd make me a better deal. They did and I bought the bike.

A month later, the first dealership asked if I was still in the market for a new bike. That was the first return phone call I received.

Second bike ... two years later (I decided I wanted to trade the Dyna for a Touring bike). I again went to dealer #1. They looked over the Dyna, offered me a decent deal, but I wanted to sleep on it. The dealer I bought the Dyna from didn't have what I was looking for, and didn't offer to find one. My daughter's best friend works at a dealer north of where I live, so I gave her a chance on the deal. Got basically the same deal the first dealership offered, except they didn't want any of the mods I had put on the bike (bags, seat, rack, highway bars, etc.), so I got those back and have since sold them here ... more ca$h to buy mods for the new bike.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:36 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought mine, back in 05, the salesman I dealt with really didn't want to be bothered. I knew they had exactly what I wanted in stock from visiting there website. Problem was it was still in the crate. Standard RK, 2 tone blue, injected. The guy wants me to buy a RK custom or Classic apparently because they are on the floor and ready to go. I walked in with cash for this bike, no trade, and my insurance amounted to a phone call and fax, already made the calls. So I said the hell with it and was leaving. A well dressed guy stops me on the way out at the door, and asks if my shopping experience was going ok. I tell him the situation, and he asks me to please come back in 2 hours. Go have lunch and it will be ready for a test ride. Turns out he was 1 of the owners. I came back, test rode bike, and bought it on the spot. Paid MSRP but it was what I wanted exactly. When I went back a few days later for plates, the salesman I had dealt with was long gone.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Steamchicken
Cruiser

Called a salesman at the only dealer in Victoria Canada and asked if I drove the 3 hours to his store would he give me a good deal on a bike over me driving to another dealership miles away again...he said yes and look him up when I arrive.

When I got there and asked what was the best deal he would make on a bike I wanted he said the MFSR price was the deal...he pissed me off and I left....

He could have at least told me that before I drove the 6 hrs round trip....

Quick Reply: Stupid dealer/salesman tricks....