Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103" lifter (?) noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run 20 W 50 dino oil.... problem solved.

All this hype for synthetic.........

You will be totally suprised what a diffsrent bike you have with formula 1 in the tranny and primary and 20 w 50 in the crankcase.

On by the way it's no slower either if one simply thinks syn is better.

That said and not wanting to start another OIL Fire........ Ride On.......

Old 10-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 09 RK Police with a 103. Over the roughly 6,100 miles I've ridden it, the top end racket has always been there, but it runs like a top. For the most part, it really is "normal" and some are just louder (less "tight" ???) than others. Probably not something to worry over, and probably not much your dealer can do about it anyway.

I'm more worried about the stock compensator which I'm about to replace with the SE unit.

I also have to add ... Despite some problems here and there -- some minor some more major -- I just love this damn bike. I've owned a slew of unbeatable, totally reliable Jap bikes, but this damn thing just has my heart, and I'm living and learning a few more things about wrenching at the same time.

After bitching to myself about having to do some metal cutting to fit the SE rotor cover, the very next minute I'm ordering more knick-knacks for this bike. I guess I'm hooked!

Ride safe all,
Murph

Old 10-16-2010, 09:17 PM
bubba455
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the 103 kit to my 2010 Ultra. Installed the 259 cam, springs, etc. The bike's valve train noise was louder than hell. The dealer changed the lifters and the noise level was reduced a bit. I expected some noise since the 259 has steep ramps and the stronger springs slam the valves shut with more force. I now had 14,000 miles on the bike and I can report that the noise is only 20% of what it once was. The engine did quiet down over time. Still makes more noise than my old 96" engine with the 211 cam but this new engine screams from mid to high rpm.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:38 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine developed a definite valve clatter sound @2800 - 3200 rpms. Sounds great up to that point, and can't really tell after. My oil is due for changing and had switched to Amsoil @ the 1000 service. I just got back from a 1200 mile trip through the mountains and was getting some pinging. I emailed Fuel Moto and Jamie sent out another map that eliminated the pinging, but not the valve clattering. The new map fattened up the fuel and took out the 2 degrees of advance in my cruise range. Kind of frustrating because when it was brand new it didn't have any real clattering, just normal valve noise. @ this point not sure what to do. Wolfdog may have a point and I may try going back to the dino.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:09 PM
meveratt
Tourer

I have a 2008 Road Glide with the SE 103 kit. I had the kit installed less than two weeks after buying the bike. I immediatley noticed it was louder in that RPM range you mention. 38,000 trouble free km's later, the engine is perfect -- uses 1/4 litre of oil between changes, runs great -- and still ticks at that RPM. You will find that the engines sweet spot is 3000rpm or so -- it runs nice and quiet at that RPM, and when cranked, will run up past 5500rpm without hesitation.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Fort Rider
Intermediate

I have the 2002 Classic with the same damn noise. It has 56k on it. It is annoying. Kind of thinking it might be the cam shoe wearing out was one thought?

Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master

My 2010 FLHX had similar noise in the valve train when warmed up when it as a stock 96 inch engine. When I had the stage II 103 kit with SE 255 cams installed by Latus motors, they also installed the Baisley LMR oil pump bypass spring as well. The valve train noise went away with the improved oil pressure they Baisley spring provided..

Old 10-17-2010, 12:08 AM
ny2az
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed

Old 10-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Buddie91
1st Gear

I posted this question in the general section with one reply. I'm learning much more about this issue after reading this thread! I don't know what direction I should take now?

2010 Street Glide (Valve Train Noise?)
Ok, I'm a first time Harley owner that has been in the automotive industry for some 30 years plus as a tech. I love this bike so don't get me wrong, but this 96 CID motor makes way to much valve train noise at 2K rpm range than I think is normal. I took it back to the dealer and they say it's normal??? I'm not buying it for a hydraulic lifter motor to make this much noise at one specific rpm. Can you guys that have been around this motor longer than I fill me in? or is this something I have to live with??? I can hear it with the radio on which really bothers me!

Old 10-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

47k miles on my Road Glide and I have heard the same "racket" since the first day. I guess if the engine was going to blow up it would have done it by now! The fairing and lowers also reflect the noise up to the helmet. I'm not planning on "fixing it" by getting louder pipes though...

Quick Reply: 103" lifter (?) noise