Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed w/ Pictures--Tour-Pak Turn Signal Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

A couple of quick points; sort of the Cliff Notes version:

Tools required: a 3/8" socket or wrench to remove the nuts securing the pouch inside the tour pak.

Materials required: Electrician's tape to wrap the electrical connectors removed from the bulb housings.

Tips: To snap open the bulb housings, use your fingers to spread the recesses in the light gray half of the bulb housing at the two points where the darker gray tangs rest.
The bulbs have offset (one high/one low) tangs so the bulb has to be oriented correctly to reinstall into the bulb socket--the recesses in the socket are easy to see to orient the bulb correctly; just push and twist.
When assembling the wires into the six-wire connector at end of the "auxiliary harness" that connects to the Y-harness, pull back the black conduit from the wire ends to create more free play/spread for the individual wires so it's easier to position them for insertion into the connector.

For others who have done this installation, please add any tips you have, or, as an earlier poster mentioned, if you've added features to the tour pak lighting, provide p/n's, pictures, etc.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 09-28-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:43 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for sharing and this excellent how-to!!! this will be another winter project

Old 09-06-2010, 10:49 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lipster
anyone know the cost of the part? (6920042)
Page 389 (F) $54.95, '11 H-D Accessory catalog

Old 09-06-2010, 11:27 AM
1pkraft
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plugged the HD module that converts the turn signals into a run/brake function into the tour pak harness and get a loud buzzing noise when I apply the turn signals. Sound is coming from the tour pak lights or the relay that's mounted under the lights.

Harleypingman - did you get the same result / buzzing sound?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1pkraft
I plugged the HD module that converts the turn signals into a run/brake function into the tour pak harness and get a loud buzzing noise when I apply the turn signals. Sound is coming from the tour pak lights or the relay that's mounted under the lights.

Harleypingman - did you get the same result / buzzing sound?

I just checked the bike and no buzzing sound; didn't hear any buzzing sound Saturday when I did the installation. The only sound is the relay in the auxiliary harness under the right side housing clicking; similar to the brake light relay if you pump the lever--had the same relay/click Saturday.

As mentioned in my OP, the run/brake/turn signal module for the turn signals is connected downstream to the Y-harness from the tour pak turn signal conversion kit. I'm not using any kind of load equalizer and the BAL-1R tail light works perfectly. So nothing was disturbed by adding the tour pak turn signal conversion kit.

Don't know why you'd have a buzzing sound.

Carl

PS: For the DIY'er, the run/brake/turn signal module for the turn signals could be used to provide the same function (better actually since the Emergency flasher function would be retained) as the tour pak conversion kit by simply splicing the left and right turn signal wires from the module (IIRC a brown wire and a violet wire) and supplying those circuits to the tour pak bulb housings. I did this with the HD saddlebag spoiler LED's to have them function as run/brake/turn signals--worked like a charm for 2+ years until I sold the bags as part of my repaint project.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:34 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the write up planning on doing this plus the BAL-1, think it will be a breeze now, love this forum

Old 09-07-2010, 06:53 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My tourpak lights are already running lights and brake lights stock from the factory...................so this kit would make them directionals as well?

For $55, I think I'll pass.

My side LED marker lights on the tourpak are wired in with the directionals, so they flash with my directionals.

Steve

Old 09-08-2010, 08:08 AM
1pkraft
Cruiser

How did you wire the tour pak side marker lights to work as turn signals?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 AM
dakajun
Cruiser

Got mine and gonna do the install this weekend. I really like the idea of having an attention getter at eye level of the person behind you.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1pkraft
How did you wire the tour pak side marker lights to work as turn signals?
At the rear fender light connection under the seat on the rear fender, you'll see a brown wire (right turn signal) and violet wire (left turn signal). Splice a wire from each to the corrsesponding side marker light (after you've cut each of those from the harnes inside the tour pak). You're creating a turn signal circuit for the side marker lights to replace the run light cirucuit you currently have.

If you have the run/brake/turn signal module, you could do the same thing with the tail lights in the tour pak and create turn/brake/turn signals there; at least that's what I did with HD's saddlebag spoiler LED's.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 09-13-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed w/ Pictures--Tour-Pak Turn Signal Conversion Kit