Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glue Suggestions for Air Filter Cover Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:57 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michael427
I have this exact same setup and it's no where near my tank. Something isn't right here. I just threw my cover gasket out. no need for it.
What size is your tank?

Old 09-16-2010, 07:10 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by michael427
I have this exact same setup and it's no where near my tank. Something isn't right here. I just threw my cover gasket out. no need for it.
What size is your tank?

Old 09-16-2010, 07:19 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

I don't throw anything out. That performance stuff comes off incase I sell/trade my bike and all the stock stuff goes back on. If I can't reuse, I ebay/craigslist/classifieds/sell to friends.

Depending on what kit you have, there is a small washer/spacer between the football and air cleaner. That has to be installed. If yours doesn't have it, I would suggest trying a small spacer/washer there to push the football out a little further.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:24 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser

I've attached photos of the gap between the filter cover and the gas tank. Not much room.

Attached Thumbnails Glue Suggestions for Air Filter Cover Gasket-img_1701.jpg   Glue Suggestions for Air Filter Cover Gasket-img_1702.jpg   Glue Suggestions for Air Filter Cover Gasket-img_1703.jpg  
Old 09-16-2010, 07:26 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JollyRogers
I don't throw anything out. That performance stuff comes off incase I sell/trade my bike and all the stock stuff goes back on. If I can't reuse, I ebay/craigslist/classifieds/sell to friends.

Depending on what kit you have, there is a small washer/spacer between the football and air cleaner. That has to be installed. If yours doesn't have it, I would suggest trying a small spacer/washer there to push the football out a little further.
Yes, that spacer was installed.
Jim

Old 09-16-2010, 07:44 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Wow. That is close. What kit is that? I would suggest taking off the football and getting a small chrome one that leaves the breather exposed until you can sort it out. Can you grab a pic with the football off?

Edit: Just went to garage and looked @ mine. It sits no where near as close as yours. Something isn't right. What kit is it? and graba pic with the football off.

Last edited by JollyRogers; 09-16-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JollyRogers
Wow. That is close. What kit is that? I would suggest taking off the football and getting a small chrome one that leaves the breather exposed until you can sort it out. Can you grab a pic with the football off?

Edit: Just went to garage and looked @ mine. It sits no where near as close as yours. Something isn't right. What kit is it? and graba pic with the football off.
I think it has more to do with the 6 gal gas tank vs the 5 gal?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
03 Fatboy
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I have an 09 Ultra with the Fuel Moto air cleaner kit and mine doesn't come close to the tank. Even putting a rubber gasket on the cover will still mark your tank and after a while you will be down to bare metal.
How thick is the air cleaner as this will determine how far the cover is from the tank as the cover attached to the air cleaner. May be you have the wrong filter.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser

I've attached pictures of the air filter without the cover. The air filter is 2.5". When the cover is on it doesnt touch the tank. Its close but doesnt touch. The cover is bolted on with blue thread locker and tightened to proper spec. When the bike is at idle it doesnt rub. However when I rode it - the cover moves up/down/sideways - however the engine moves and starts to scratch the tank.

Attached Thumbnails Glue Suggestions for Air Filter Cover Gasket-img_1704.jpg   Glue Suggestions for Air Filter Cover Gasket-img_1705.jpg  
Old 09-16-2010, 11:13 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser

Also attached is a picture of the bike with stock air filter. You can see that there is a lot of space between tank and cover vs the Stage 1. However, I expected that given that a bigger air filter was used. I have a note into Jamie @ Fuel Moto. Maybe he can add some insight.

Attached Thumbnails Glue Suggestions for Air Filter Cover Gasket-harley-002.jpg  

Quick Reply: Glue Suggestions for Air Filter Cover Gasket