Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bikes with batwings might be a good choice for us in cold Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for your input guys!

BTW Rottiman, I wouldn't rule out a Road Glide either, at first I thought it was just about the ugliest thing that I had ever seen but it grows on you after a while.

And RockerMike, I too use those Gerbing's heated jacket liner and gloves, they're worth every bit that I shelled out for them.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:39 PM
TheRainMan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I traded a soft tail for an Ultra with heated grips. Living in Canada it is the way to go - keeps a smile on your face when the riding dips past the frigid line...

Old 09-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Getting that air off your hands make a HUGE difference. Imagine driving around in your car with the heater off and your left hand stuck out the window. With the same gloves, your right hand would be a lot happier
In the short run, there are fairings available for your bike including a relatively inexpensive one from Memphis Shades and others from Hoppe & others.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:54 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ridden down to 30* without heated gear. It was cold but my wife was on the back and she was wrapped around me trying to keep warm like an extra layer of clothing. Done it more then a few times over the years. You will need the fairing wings though.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride my EG Classic down to about -5 (with an electric vest - dont need heated grips or gloves). I prefer the Road King but based on previous experience with Sports Tourers I knew that if I wanted to get the most out of our season a fairing was essential. Batwing with a Clearview Shield is very effective. Thats why it has been around for so long, both here and in Europe. I also added QD lowers that come off about May and go back on about Sept. I prefer the batwing because my experience found the road glide wind noise very high with the stock shield and I didn't have the time ore money to experiment.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:10 PM
jsciullo
Cruiser

You can get a batwing for a road king. I'm looking at that option for the cold. The wing will come off in the summer as the windshield works great.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser

I happened to see a guy out and around today on his Ultra Classic and he had removed the trunk/tourpak, it looked pretty decent!

It looked like a 2006 or so and it was painted Red Hot Sunglo (a favorite Harley color of mine), and he had installed a shorter windshield. It kinda looked a bit like one of those sporty Street Glides even though it had the chrome railings around the hardbags and the big plastic lowers for leg protection, it looked really nice. I think that something like that would be hard to beat.I happened to see a guy out and around today on his Ultra Classic and he had removed the trunk/tourpak, it looked pretty decent!

It looked like a 2006 or so and it was painted Red Hot Sunglo (a favorite Harley color of mine), and he had installed a shorter windshield. It kinda looked a bit like one of those sporty Street Glides even though it had the chrome railings around the hardbags and the big plastic lowers for leg protection, it looked really nice. I think that something like that would be hard to beat.

As long as you can remove that trunk and it was painted a nice color, I think that I could dig it. I might even remove the chrome bumper on the front fender too, just to make it look less old-timey but then again, it doesn't look all that bad either.

I love the Road King but the EG Classic or Ultra might be better for 2-up riding, more storage and more protection from the cold in the Spring and in the Fall.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Great Gazoo
Tourer

Originally Posted by Burstbucker
I happened to see a guy out and around today on his Ultra Classic and he had removed the trunk/tourpak, it looked pretty decent!

It looked like a 2006 or so and it was painted Red Hot Sunglo (a favorite Harley color of mine), and he had installed a shorter windshield. It kinda looked a bit like one of those sporty Street Glides even though it had the chrome railings around the hardbags and the big plastic lowers for leg protection, it looked really nice. I think that something like that would be hard to beat.I happened to see a guy out and around today on his Ultra Classic and he had removed the trunk/tourpak, it looked pretty decent!

It looked like a 2006 or so and it was painted Red Hot Sunglo (a favorite Harley color of mine), and he had installed a shorter windshield. It kinda looked a bit like one of those sporty Street Glides even though it had the chrome railings around the hardbags and the big plastic lowers for leg protection, it looked really nice. I think that something like that would be hard to beat.

As long as you can remove that trunk and it was painted a nice color, I think that I could dig it. I might even remove the chrome bumper on the front fender too, just to make it look less old-timey but then again, it doesn't look all that bad either.

I love the Road King but the EG Classic or Ultra might be better for 2-up riding, more storage and more protection from the cold in the Spring and in the Fall.
WTF? Thought I was having a stroke

Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior

You will not regret it......

Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Sandy Mike
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ridden in the cold weather on a scoot without the batwing ....... and an awful lot with it. Prefer the batwing.

All kidding aside, the batwing provided a huge improvement and I love the lowers as well.

Quick Reply: Bikes with batwings might be a good choice for us in cold Canada?