Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clip of how to lift a harley that has fallen over

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:32 PM
motorlessons
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Metleg
Having just swapped from a bike with 18inch apes to a SG with stock bars, I'm wondering if the same technique would work with the apes..or if you would have to grab the bars or crash bars to do the lift with apes?
I've not specifically tried on a motor with apes, but instead of grabbing the grip, I would grab down on the bar, near where it makes the lower bend. Of course it woudl be all the more important to make sure the more is in gear, since you wouldn't have the brake lever pulled.

Harris

Old 04-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Short Fuze
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done, thanks.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default no

Not Mine!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 PM
bad2dabone
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

really appreciate the posts.....thanx

Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 PM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an answer to my own question that I posted many (many) moons ago - "How do you lift a Street Glide with no rear crash bars?".

I made the attached strap and hook out of an old bungee cord hook and the strap off a ski pole. If/when I drop the bike I can just clip this in to the tie downs on the back of the bike and use the technique posted here to lift the bike.

If you don't have a location to hook the strap, see my post in this thread for making the tie downs I have on my bike:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tie-downs.html

BTW, the OP on the thread posted and expensive solution - see my 2nd post in the thread for cheap (free) and easy.

Attached Thumbnails clip of how to lift a harley that has fallen over-liftingstrap.jpg  

Last edited by badjustbad; 04-06-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 PM
svoracer
Cruiser

Funny post about the Street Glide. Ive had two people ask me about lifting a Road Glide and a Street Glide over the past month. They wanted me to demonstrate it. I did but also made made them aware that they should buy some rear bag guards so u can pick the damn thing up! Spend the $160 or so and get the guards. Then learn how to pick up a bike

Old 04-12-2011, 08:49 AM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by svoracer
Funny post about the Street Glide. Ive had two people ask me about lifting a Road Glide and a Street Glide over the past month. They wanted me to demonstrate it. I did but also made made them aware that they should buy some rear bag guards so u can pick the damn thing up! Spend the $160 or so and get the guards. Then learn how to pick up a bike
My bike is an Ultra LTD. I spent $160 to remove the crash bars. I've used the technique posted here to pick my RKC up a few times - the straps I made will enable me to pick up the Ultra with the same technique (For far less than $160.)

Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Dayton Harris
Stage I

Wish I had seen this a couple of weeks ago!!! THANKS for posting!!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 AM
toybreaker
Intermediate

Great post for those of us newer to a bigger bike. Lifted a few smaller ones and hope i never have to lift my soon to be bigger bike. Also thanks for the explanation of the highside mount and dismount...not my norm but guess it should be.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:30 PM
motodrum
Novice

I saw this demo live at the HD booth in Sturgis last year. Great info thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: clip of how to lift a harley that has fallen over