Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clip of how to lift a harley that has fallen over

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:03 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As much as I hate to admit it, this really works.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:09 PM
motorlessons
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadking Cal
Well, that's all well and good, but just try lifting a dresser all by yourself when your handlebars have just broken between the riser clamps. Zero structural integrity. Yeah, I needed some help.
Ugh. That falls into the category of "profanity time". Hopefully that will never come up again. If it does, on the H-D touring motors, use the top of the front engine guard as your grip point, rather than the handlebars. It'll work, but it's harder.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Old 09-20-2010, 05:57 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Honest question here, motorlessons. Please explain why your course feels mounting from the right is the "correct way." I personally find it extremely difficult, but can understand dismounting and mounting from the right if on the side of road in traffic.

Otherwise, why?

Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I watched the ride like a pro video on a Tuesday and it showed how to pick up a dropped bike. Bought the new ultra home on a Saturday and dropped in the driveway trying to walk it backwards while standing beside it. If I had not seen the video and knew how to pick up the bike it would have stayed on its side until one of the neighbors came home to help me. This is good info for all riders to know.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:13 PM
motorlessons
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honest question here, motorlessons. Please explain why your course feels mounting from the right is the "correct way." I personally find it extremely difficult, but can understand dismounting and mounting from the right if on the side of road in traffic.

Otherwise, why?

Absolutely valid question. Thanks for asking.

The primary reason is the traffic issue. This carried over from the police motor school. The idea is if you always mount and dismount from the high side it's a habit that will put you away from traffic when you are road side.

The other reasons are far less significant. Not much of an issue on an H-D touring model, but on lighter motors if you accidentally kick it while mounting, you won't be kicking it over off the stand, and finally the way the bars are when the motor is parked, you've got the larger opening on the high-side. Finally if there is a group of riders and they have parked on line, it looks pretty ridiculous if two guys dismount into one another.

If you find high-side mounting/dismounting uncomfortable, it may simply be that no one has shown you how to make it easy. If your motor has a tour-pak, or if you're shorter than average, the trick is to move your right foot further forward. For instance in the videos, Chris' right toe is about aligned with the half-way point of the foot board. Obviously that works for him. However, if the technique seems uncomfortable try it with your right foot further forward - maybe with the toe aligned with the front of the foot board. It's not something that seems like it would make it easier, but it really does, as it positions things so your left foot is moving across the motor at its lowest point, the rider's seat.

High-side mounting and dismounting takes about 30 repetitions before it begins to feel natural. For most once it does, they'll never go back.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Last edited by motorlessons; 09-20-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:24 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Thank you for the explanation and tips. Might give it a try.

I've got a nerve damaged right leg, so I reach down and grab my ankle and lift it over (from the left). I don't have any problem standing on it, so maybe I can learn to swing my left leg up and over from the right.

Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't understand why you mount and dismount from the Hi side

Sorry I did not read the previous post, Thanks much.

Last edited by leicafish; 09-20-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 AM
John_HD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually find high side mounting physically easier, but a little more unnerving because I feel I'm not supporting the bike.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:32 PM
flyer91
Tourer

I don't mean to cast dispersions on anyone, just a philosophical observation ......

It's certainly a new day when otherwise able bodied Harley riders discuss the added physical demands, and the fear that arises from how they mount their scoots .......

That said ........ me too!!

Old 09-24-2010, 04:23 PM
jjohnson77536
Cruiser

Good videos. Thanks for sharing. ..

Quick Reply: clip of how to lift a harley that has fallen over