Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

screamin eagle muffler compared to oe

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:12 PM
merlin41
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default screamin eagle muffler compared to oe

I was looking for a better sound (who isn't) on my 2010 FLHTK. Tried to research sound comparison for HD screamin eagle thunder mufflers (65115-10). Couldn't find much so I took a chance and put them on. Just for fun I measured the sound on the stock mufflers per the test that the SAE is asking states to adopt (SAE-J2825). It's a real easy test - 20 inches from exhaust exit at a 45 degree angle to the pipes. My bike is a stock 103 except high flow a/c and stage 1 download - 7800 miles on the bike. Stock mufflers: 88 db at idle, 94 at 2000 rpm. Screamin eagle 65115-10: 87 db at idle, 93 at 2000 rpm. Remember the screamin eagles are brand new so I am sure they will get slightly louder over time. They have a much deeper sound but I don't expect them to be much louder than stock - just what I was looking for. I should have made this change when I got the bike. By the way, SAE is recommending that the limits be set at 92 db or less at idle and 96 or less at 2000 rpm for v-twins using this measurement method.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:59 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yup - everything Harley sells as far as mufflers are concerned are EPA compliant now. I put the SE Fatshotz on after "noise fatigue" from my KlockWerks mufflers! Basically just Supertrapp mufflers. They probably rob me of 2-3 hp versus the KlockWerks

Old 09-25-2010, 08:01 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by merlin41
I was looking for a better sound (who isn't) on my 2010 FLHTK. Tried to research sound comparison for HD screamin eagle thunder mufflers (65115-10). Couldn't find much so I took a chance and put them on. Just for fun I measured the sound on the stock mufflers per the test that the SAE is asking states to adopt (SAE-J2825). It's a real easy test - 20 inches from exhaust exit at a 45 degree angle to the pipes. My bike is a stock 103 except high flow a/c and stage 1 download - 7800 miles on the bike. Stock mufflers: 88 db at idle, 94 at 2000 rpm. Screamin eagle 65115-10: 87 db at idle, 93 at 2000 rpm. Remember the screamin eagles are brand new so I am sure they will get slightly louder over time. They have a much deeper sound but I don't expect them to be much louder than stock - just what I was looking for. I should have made this change when I got the bike. By the way, SAE is recommending that the limits be set at 92 db or less at idle and 96 or less at 2000 rpm for v-twins using this measurement method.
I am running the 65115-10's on my new RGU and really like the sound. It is hard to believe they produce less db then stock but it must be the tone that makes them seem louder. I am getting the SE a/c on monday. How much did the a/c and stage 1 down load help? thanks

Old 09-25-2010, 09:17 PM
merlin41
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The a/c and download helped get rid of some of the heat from the cat. I didn't dyno the bike but to me it feels like it has more torque at low rpm.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:56 PM
GLMac
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quandry

I have a 2010 FLHTK and I want to do either the fuelmot or the fullsac complete systems. The issue are Fuel moto has backordered his headers and fullsac is discontinuing this touring mufflers.

What's a guy to do. I don't like the usual exhaust.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone wants to get themselves deaf! My 2010 Ultra is LOUDER than my 07 RKC was... or is it? It is to me the rider because of the way the sound waves bounce around the bags etc when moving. At a stand still behind the bike... relatively quiet. So we put on a pair of V&H or the like so the sound others hear is louder and cooler and we (the driver & rider) go deaf by our own pipes! Yikes! What a concept.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:19 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Merlin . interesting post and great info on the SE mufflers.
I'd noticed bikes in my area with the SE mufflers and the sound was very nice (deep) and quite tame for loudness compared to aftermarket type mufflers.
I had a chance to hear my bike being driven at the dealer a while back , and I couldn't believe how nice it sounded with the stock mufflers , I certainly don't hear the same thing while I'm riding it myself.
The SE setup would probably please many people with their tone and non ear bleeding intensity.
Nice comparison.
I'm thinking about the SE's myself now.......
Mick

Old 09-26-2010, 06:39 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the info....I'm looking at the SE mufflers as well but also replacing the header pipe with Dresser Duals...I'm guessing that would bump up the DB's than what you have posted?

Old 09-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,403 Likes on 3,306 Posts

I really like my SE's Buddy of mine just installed Rinehearts true duals and they sound great but a bit too loud for me...Ears are getting a bit tired and earing is going away at 45 years ols so i want to take care of what is left.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed a set of '09 OEM SVO Road Glide take-offs shortly after getting my '09 Ultra Classic. They are more free-flowing than the stock mufflers. They have a nice sound that is different than stock. I only wish they were a bit louder.

Attached Thumbnails screamin eagle muffler compared to oe-p8270004.jpg  

Quick Reply: screamin eagle muffler compared to oe