Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye Harley-Davidson Hello BMW

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:01 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I was on a long run last spring and was stuck in a traffic jam on Conn I95. Pulled in to one of those McDonalds/Mobil Gas Rest areas, and a couple on a 1200 GS pulled up beside me. We spoke for a while, I noticed he had Italian license plate. Apparently he was some rich guy who has had the bike shipped all over the world. Takes about 3 months each year to tour a different continent ... what a life. I asked him why he did not ride Motto Guzzi, he explained that he needed BMW's reliability. That's one odd looking bike for sure, kind of an enduro hybrid. The seating did not look comfortable at all to me but what do I know. They both were wearing matching BMW riding suits ... how cute!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:05 AM
cedarman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Enjoy your BMW they are awesome bikes.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:07 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned the BMW GS 1100, 1150, 1150GSA, and the 1200 and they were all great motorcycles.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:20 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by aksv
It's a bit sad to leave the Harley community, but we have now traded in our belowed Ultra ElectraGlide to a brand new BMW R1200GS 2011.
Me and my wife really loved the Harley, but after 60.000km in four years we felt that we wanted to trade it to a newer one. One big reason was to get ABS brakes for security reasons. But the trading cost here in Sweden to a new 2009 FLHTCUI is almost 16.000 USD, and we can't really justifie that cost for 4 years of riding.
So instead, for 3.700 USD we left the Ultra and rode home on our new BMW instead. It's a completely different bike, but the pillion comfort is not far from the Ultra.
We are confident that we, maybee five years from now, will go back to an Ultra (hopefully HD Europe will adjust the crazy prices) , but until then.

Thank's to you all for all interesting reading, and communication on this forum.

Åke o Maria Svensson
Sweden
Congrats on a fine ride!! I hope to get another BMW as well, to add a bike to my stable once my SG is paid off. BMW's are the best! Just not as cool as a Harley... But definitely a better machine for the money all the way around.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:57 AM
aksv
Advanced
Default Why GS

Originally Posted by Earl IV
Interesting choice, I'm curious why you didn't go with a RT/LT/GT?

It would seem to be a closer match to an Electra Glide (from a touring perspective)

I looked at BMW's and Honda's (ST1300) for a while before buying the HD, they're all good bikes.
Hello Earl.
I can understand your question. Well the answer is that one of my fellow biker did change from a K1200LT to a GS two years ago, and he always smiles when we ride and hit gravel roads. He's very happy with his GS and would not switch back to LT. I did drive his LT and I really didn't like it. I have also been testing Goldwing, but that bike has no heart and sould in my mind. Furthermore my wife did not like the to laidback seating position.
The GS has heart and soul much like the Ultra, and strange enaugh the seating comfort for my wife is very similar to the Ultra, with BMW topbox mounted. Another reason is that we travel a lot, and often we hit gravel roads, and with the BMW gravel roads is suddenly my first priority. I have discovered so much more during the last weeks. I have even been riding on small paths in the nearby forests. Thats so fun.

Best regards

Old 10-01-2010, 08:58 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've always liked the GS. Lately I've had my eye on the new Yamaha Super Tenere. Have fun on the GS!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made this same journey back and fouth between HD and BMW. I will own a 1200GS some day but not at the expense of my road glide.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Did I google the right bike?...................You traded an Ultra for this (BMW R1200GS)?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:26 AM
binkman78
Club Member

If you make it to the states and ride thru the Ozarks, I'll still wave.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aksv
It's a bit sad to leave the Harley community, but we have now traded in our belowed Ultra ElectraGlide to a brand new BMW R1200GS 2011.
Me and my wife really loved the Harley, but after 60.000km in four years we felt that we wanted to trade it to a newer one. One big reason was to get ABS brakes for security reasons. But the trading cost here in Sweden to a new 2009 FLHTCUI is almost 16.000 USD, and we can't really justifie that cost for 4 years of riding.
So instead, for 3.700 USD we left the Ultra and rode home on our new BMW instead. It's a completely different bike, but the pillion comfort is not far from the Ultra.
We are confident that we, maybee five years from now, will go back to an Ultra (hopefully HD Europe will adjust the crazy prices) , but until then.

Thank's to you all for all interesting reading, and communication on this forum.

Åke o Maria Svensson
Sweden
CCCCCCCCCC.............................Ya!

Quick Reply: Goodbye Harley-Davidson Hello BMW