Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Bike & Hearing Loss

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 AM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

Huh???

Old 10-03-2010, 10:28 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I wear a 3/4 helmet and that muffles the noise enough for me.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Hey Dalbergia ---- My sentiments exactly! The idea is to be able to hear my stereo better, as some have said here. I'd sorta like to be able to hear a siren behind me, or coming up to an intersection, so I want earplugs that'll do that, but just reduce the wind-rushing-past-my-ears effect.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Was fitted at our local dealer who was having a open house with many different reps there. These guys happen to be there, and after talking with them I was convinced that this was the way to go. They are a bit pricey but was without a doubt the best money I have spent. I have taken several road trips with these and will not leave home without them. And for the guys that bring up the "it's illegal to wear these in some states". On the road you can hear what you need to hear around you on the highway. When in towns I just pull one. If you are getting ANY ringing in your ears now. You have already started the damage. Yeah the cheap foam or rubber ones will work, but if you are serious about cutting down fatigue and still want "concert sound" this is the way to go! Just my 2 cents worth!

http://www.bigearinc.com/Products/BE-1C.aspx

Old 10-03-2010, 10:54 AM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$350 omg

Old 10-03-2010, 11:04 AM
isac
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have tried almost every shape and materials for earplugs and for me works this one called E.A.R Ultra very good..They reduce wind noice to a minimum and I can hear my tunes much better with this one but I still hear the traffic enough around me..Just pop them in and you're ready to ride.

http://www.e-a-r.info/int/page.asp?pagenumber=187

Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 AM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cvs and wallgreens carry the hearos ear plugs.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:30 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I had a set of custom-fitted plugs made up 2 years ago, I think they cost around $50. I won't ride without them, no matter if I'm helmetless, wearing a half, 3/4, or full face. I can ride for 15 hours with little fatigue, my ears don't ring, and I can hear the stereo better.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:38 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

There seem to be misconceptions among those who have never worn earplugs, particularly on a regular basis. I have used E.A.R. Classic Plus (the longer yellow foam ones) with a full-face helmet, every time I ride, for the past 25 years. This constitutes over 300K miles. I pay about $25 for 200 pair and change them when they look like they need it, maybe once a week or so. Cheap.

Every two years as part of my physical exam at work, they test my hearing. So far, every time the doctor is amazed that a (now) 54-year-old man has retained this much hearing capability.

So far as being able to hear sirens, etc., a couple of days ago I was riding my Ultra with not only the earplugs, but my J&M helmet headset playing the satellite radio (which, by the way, is the clearest way to enjoy the stereo, not the speakers). I do not try to see how loud I can make the music, just adjust it to a comfortable volume. I heard a distant siren and checked my mirrors. Nothing yet, but kept checking. Eventually I saw the emergency vehicle and I moved over. No problem hearing anything like that. I can hear car horns. I can hear odd noises in my engine. What else is there to hear? [Unfortunately, the emergency vehicle was responding to a motorcycle wreck near where I live.]

And I think it's silly to worry about the legal ramifications of wearing plugs. I have been stopped a couple of times and took the plugs out in front of the LEO. Not a word was ever said about the plugs. I've discussed the subject with a friend who is a LEO. He said that they have bigger things to worry about than that. I'm not claiming that under the wrong circumstances you couldn't be written up for the plugs, but I'd rather risk a ticket than my hearing.

Oh, and the helmet speakers are illegal, too. Like I care . . .

Old 10-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cookiemech
And I think it's silly to worry about the legal ramifications of wearing plugs.
That's EXACTLY the way I used to think,.....until a buddy of mine got a ticket for them. This was back when I had my customs ear plugs, the ones that the crow in Yellowstone stole from my whindshield glove box. These plugs had a brass thumb screw valve so I could open them up without having to pull them out. Well we both got pulled over and the CHP officer saw we had ear plugs. I told him mine were modified hearing aids (which they were) and that the brass valve was open and sound was not obstructed. He let me go and ticketed my buddy who had regular plugs in. After that I started wearing my bandanna low over my ears.

Anyway, as with all things in life folks are going to do exactly what they are going to do. I'm just posting my experiences with ear plugs and cops. These are things which probably will never happen to anyone else but guys like me.

Quick Reply: Your Bike & Hearing Loss