Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long distance riding ailment

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 AM
FLTRKER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long distance riding ailment

Question, why is it that when I have traveled for 300+ miles in a days time, like This past Sunday I rode about 390 miles in 6 hrs., that when I get off the bike-I still vibrate and I do not feel well? This will last until I go to bed and arise the next morning. I ask my riding partner or others and they have this ? look on their face. If I ride in a car with a wheel balance problem for many miles- same deal-
On the trip out west we rode 2000 miles in 3 days. My spine and neck felt like I was still riding when I awoke the next mornings. That was on the HD- with new balanced tires. Now I get a milder version on the Honda.
If I just do short trips at various speeds- no problem. But the sustained hwy speeds seem to set this off.
  • [*]

Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

People react differently to different things.
I am fine on the Ultra, Goldwing, or cross country
Loud pipes do me the same way, I hear them till the next day. I usually say huh every time someone says anything

dd

Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

Ive noticed that whether im driveing my mercedes,the kids van or my e-glade for long distances.I try to take little breaks.sometimes after a while I build up what I call traveling muscles? mainly its a sighn of getting old cause I remember being 18 and riding a sporster all day across country laughing all the way.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:03 PM
dbinbc
Cruiser

You are asking a bunch of bikers a question that perhaps should be asked of a medical person. But here's my answer anyway... sounds like an inner ear problem where you are getting balance and movement signals after you have stopped riding. Two things to try, make lots of stops along the way to get off and relax, and, try taking an antihistamine before your next ride. Both help me a lot.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:11 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

another thing you might try is to start at the toes and work your way up thru all the muscle groups, just tensing and releasing them. wriggle your toes and crunch and release and stretch them. then wriggle your ankles. stretch and release the calves. bend the knee in and out. stretch and release the thigh musles. same with the glutes.

you get the idea. do this every 15-30 minutes.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:11 PM
audettd
Tourer

One more thing to add....whenever traveling whether it be in airplane, car or motorcycle...you need to stay hydrated. People tend to over look this when on the bike because its not convienent. Stop usually every hour to hour and half and just a few sips (same when in airplane or car except you don't need to stop). Even if you're not thirsty. People tend to think that you drink when you get thirsty...but reality is you need to drink before you get thirsty. Just something to try

Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 PM
mnskip
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLTRKER
Question, why is it that when I have traveled for 300+ miles in a days time, like This past Sunday I rode about 390 miles in 6 hrs., that when I get off the bike-I still vibrate and I do not feel well? This will last until I go to bed and arise the next morning. I ask my riding partner or others and they have this ? look on their face. If I ride in a car with a wheel balance problem for many miles- same deal-
On the trip out west we rode 2000 miles in 3 days. My spine and neck felt like I was still riding when I awoke the next mornings. That was on the HD- with new balanced tires. Now I get a milder version on the Honda.

If I just do short trips at various speeds- no problem. But the sustained hwy speeds seem to set this off.
  • <LI style="mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3" class=MsoNormal>Any of you ever had this?
  • It is kind of like wearing a hat all day and then after taking it off it still feels like ya have it on.
You might have answered your own question. "If I ride in a car with a wheel balance problem for many miles- same deal-"
Could be a vibration problem with your bike?

Old 10-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rode 277 on Saturday and 304 on Sunday. The only discomfort I regularly get from riding long distances are stiffness, once I get off the bike.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Hard to say - as other poster(s) mention, people's bodies react differently. I have to get my "land legs" back after longer rides. After sitting in the same position riding for miles/hours - takes a few hours to walk-off the effect. Yours sounds like some other type of body imbalance - might want to get some MD advice - good luck!

Old 10-04-2010, 01:26 PM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 243 Likes on 152 Posts

try ear plugs first. wind noise may be fatiguing your inner ear and affecting your balance. They took me a while to get used to, but now I can't ride long distance with out them. You have noise fatigue.

Quick Reply: Long distance riding ailment