Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD installed new front motor mount (Wow, shakes??)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
it's upside down!
Thats pretty much my thought also,, anyone have theirs installed upsided down then flip it? any difference?? I am going to call my guy tomorrow - he is going to owe me a beer.

I feel I can flip this over but I want to talk to him first and get his thoughts.

from the other poster here, I found the service bulletin and it does talk about top and bottom.

interested to see if anyone posts here with "Mine was upside down and this is how it felt AFTER I flipped it over"

M-1182 December 01, 2005
IMPROVED FRONT RUBBER MOUNT
®
Purpose
A new improved front rubber mount will be introduced as a
running change on all 2006 Touring model motorcycles.
Before appearing on production motorcycles, the new rubber
mount will first be available as a replacement part.
NOTE
The new front rubber mount is part number 16207-79C and
replaces part number 16207-79B. In the interest of promoting
customer satisfaction, Harley-Davidson requests that you
return your inventory of the old style front rubber mount following
the CREDIT PROCEDURE which follows.
Motorcycles Affected
The new improved front rubber mount retrofits all Touring
model motorcycles manufactured since 1980.
NOTE
Install
new
front rubber mount with the flat plate topside and
the larger OD at the bottom. While the old style front rubber
mount was stamped “TOP” to ensure proper orientation, the
new style is not. See Figure 1.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You bought a 79D, correct? The service bulliten is for a 79C so.........maybe the soft/hard compound is different.

Turn it over. Use the manual. It's the easiest thing you can do. After that you should ride it for a while and let it settle in. Maybe change the torque a little.

I don't remember, did you check your rear mounts?

Old 10-17-2010, 11:18 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yachtman
You bought a 79D, correct? The service bulliten is for a 79C so.........maybe the soft/hard compound is different.

Turn it over. Use the manual. It's the easiest thing you can do. After that you should ride it for a while and let it settle in. Maybe change the torque a little.

I don't remember, did you check your rear mounts?

Good point - Yes I did get the 79D - should mount the same??? but this is part of my questions to my mech. I do have the service manual but can NOT find any info in there about the mount - I am thinking ???? because it is NOT a service item???? anyone else find info in YOUR service manual about mounts??

Yes the rear's were changed - this is when he found the front to be bad..

Old 10-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Born2Glide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was installed upside down by a dealer as well, I think they need to read the service manual. Mine needed replacing anyway when I found out it was wrong. I did it myself and it was really easy, it has been a while but I think it only took about twenty minutes from start to finish. I have over 12k on the 79D and no problems so far.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Update:

Well, my mount was installed upside down - called my shop and talked to my mech... caught him off guard and he apoligized - said to bring it back in and he would flip it..

I decided to do it my self, I wanted to learn how. took me only about 30 min - which actually saved me time over driving to the shop and waiting around.

before I took the mount off, I checked the torque that had been done to the center bolt... I found it to be right at 40# and the specs are 15-20..

Bolt was not bound and that was good... I fliped the mount and re torqued the bolt to 20#

bike does idle better and for now Iam OK with it.. time will tell.

So, for those that had problems with the 79D - wonder how many were upside down and over torqued.

As far as torque goes - 20# is not much but it makes sense - if the mount is to absorb vibrations and its Over torqued and squezzed down - that can take away from what the main purpose of the mount.

Last edited by harley0711; 10-19-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Did the motor mount have some yellow writing on it? I ask because I recall my service manager told me to install it with the yellow writing side "UP," IIRC. It's been over a year since that conversation and installation so I don't know for sure if he said yellow side up or down. Perhaps you can tell if you have yellow writing on your motor mount if the yellow is up or down.

Carl

Old 10-20-2010, 01:47 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Did the motor mount have some yellow writing on it? I ask because I recall my service manager told me to install it with the yellow writing side "UP," IIRC. It's been over a year since that conversation and installation so I don't know for sure if he said yellow side up or down. Perhaps you can tell if you have yellow writing on your motor mount if the yellow is up or down.

Carl
did not see any yellow writing on it... I went by three other bikes on the showroom floor and the service bulletin which has a picture and UP on it..

Old 10-20-2010, 06:52 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had to look at our two and you were definitely upside down. Not to let the shop off the hook but I can see where a wrench doing these for years was used the the concave side down and is now up. Probably on "auto-pilot" during install.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:01 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am going to get the Pro-Glide front motor mount to see if I can calm down some of the vibration at idel. After riding jap bikes for 20 years the vibration at idel is something I still have not got used to after 2 years. I know the vibration is a Harley signature and MOCO prabably dilibertly puts the vibration in the motor but for a touring bike it should be smooth. I could see the vibration on a softtail but not on touring models...I think the MOCO has the backwards.....

Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Jap V-twins use two rod journals and a offset to the jugs so they will inherently not vibrate, I prefer the common journal HD and the vibration at idle for me is part of the culture. Love my '03.

Quick Reply: HD installed new front motor mount (Wow, shakes??)