Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Shorty Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:29 PM
happycampinman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the flags on the shorties. looks good

Last edited by happycampinman; 02-18-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:31 PM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The stock whips on my ultra kept hanging on my low shed door so i put the shorties on, lost a little AM/FM reception but got it back with a small inline preamp. The CB was another issue, SWR's went from 1:1 to 3:1, lousey reception, ended up having to tune the shorty antenna got it to 1.5:1 and added a 100 watt Linier, talk 20 miles down the road now no problem. Switch off the liner with a fairing mounted switch when with a group ride, don't want to be responsible for frying everybody elses radios.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:40 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

I never listened to the radio at all. I took off both antennas and capped the bolt with a black rubber cap. All I use is MP3 CD or soon to be XM.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:24 AM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Saw that MoCo has a new Boom model of hidden (in fairing) antenna out in March. Could be another option.

I took off the long antenna and going to ride this weekend to see the difference. I still picked up my usual FM station in the garage, so we'll see how it goes...

Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even with the stock antenna, the reception isn't all that great. I installed an in fairing antenna and added this adapter and got better reception with 2 antenna's when I still had the tour pak on.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 AM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Default Cut down the long whip...

I shortened the long antenna by loosening the set screw, removing the antenna, cutting 15" or so off and reinstalling it. Still has good reception.

Originally Posted by shortride
Even with the stock antenna, the reception isn't all that great. I installed an in fairing antenna and added this adapter and got better reception with 2 antenna's when I still had the tour pak on.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,827 Likes on 18,580 Posts

Originally Posted by inthechateau
The stock whips on my ultra kept hanging on my low shed door so i put the shorties on, lost a little AM/FM reception but got it back with a small inline preamp. The CB was another issue, SWR's went from 1:1 to 3:1, lousey reception, ended up having to tune the shorty antenna got it to 1.5:1 and added a 100 watt Linier, talk 20 miles down the road now no problem. Switch off the liner with a fairing mounted switch when with a group ride, don't want to be responsible for frying everybody elses radios.
The linear amp reminds of the "10-4 Good Buddy" days. My brother put a 125 amp on his Cobra 129XLR and every time he passed the house in his truck he would key up the mike and blow right over the television ... MORE POWER PLEASE !

Old 02-19-2011, 03:25 PM
BigTKC
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the shorty and works fine for me. But then again, I listen to mostly sports, news and talk. Stock speakers are crap for music and I haven't got around to putting $$$ into that.....yet.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:34 PM
skyking435
Advanced
Smile

Here's a better photo of the shorty antenna's:
(for some reason, they appear as thumbnails, click on the image to enlarge it)

I haven't tried the CB as yet, the FM seems slightly weaker than the whips but I don't care, they look nice and so far, work quite well. Below is what antenna_X has to say about them:

"Most people wonder about losing reception with this antenna. 99.9% of the time reception stays the same OR improves (each antenna is pre-tuned for CB, no SWR Adjustment is necessary). DON'T BE FOOLED BY OTHERS SELLING SHORT ANTENNAS HERE ON EBAY, THEY MIGHT LOOK NICE BUT THEY HAVE NO RECEPTION. WE DON'T SELL REPLACEMENT ANTENNAS WITH NO RECEPTION. Take a look at our feedback for testimonials on reception."

As I recall, they are $44.99 with free shipping.

Last edited by skyking435; 02-20-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: modify photos
Old 02-19-2011, 04:05 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought a short replacement antenna at AutoZone for about $15..... it has a load midway, like a CB antenna. It actually works slightly better than the stock wire.

It's a Raptor brand and part number is AW-RMBC. Screws right on.

Quick Reply: HD Shorty Antenna