Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air ride installed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:33 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got them on my Ultra. They are ok. When I bought the bike they had 8 pounds in them. I wiegh 225 and I bottomed out solo. My wife weighs 160 and together we felt like we bottomed constantly.
I pumped them up to 25 and the ride is much better except for big bumps trying to throw you off the seat. I plan to go down to 15 and see how that rides.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:52 AM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
I didn't read all 104 pages but I read a lot of them! Didn't see mention of people running the Premium ride hand adjustable shocks from HD. Do they suck? Are they expensive or both? I saw mention of screamin eagle shocks on a RK in this thread and they had great reviews.
This is about air ride, woth compressor. So why would anyone have these in this thread?

Old 05-22-2017, 06:18 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,869 Likes on 2,504 Posts

Originally Posted by sponger
This is about air ride, woth compressor. So why would anyone have these in this thread?
Because its about finding solutions for bottoming out and air shocks aren't the only answer.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:39 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CookUltraClassic
I've got them on my Ultra. They are ok. When I bought the bike they had 8 pounds in them. I wiegh 225 and I bottomed out solo. My wife weighs 160 and together we felt like we bottomed constantly.
I pumped them up to 25 and the ride is much better except for big bumps trying to throw you off the seat. I plan to go down to 15 and see how that rides.
For some reason not everything I wrote posted. Sorry about that.

The continued post goes on to say:

My plan is to get an adjustable air suspension. I would like to build one myself rather than spend $1000 on one.
Does anyone have any advice on that or know where an affordable kit can be found?

Old 06-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Drtumolo
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I removed the factory shocks today on my 2016 streetglide and raised it to 14" center to center on the shock mounting bolts (the same distance as the Monroe shocks fully extended). At this point the swingarm just touches the transmission. Has anyone else noticed this? It is a very light touch but so not sure if it would cause long term problems

Last edited by Drtumolo; 06-25-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:29 PM
Drtumolo
Road Captain

has anyone seen this transmission to swingarm contact cause a problem?

Old 06-26-2017, 01:09 PM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

No one rides fully air'ed up. Nor fully air'ed down either.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Drtumolo
Road Captain

I understand that nobody rides full up or down but I was asking about the chance of damage if the swingarm rebounds after a bump into the transmission.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
I didn't read all 104 pages but I read a lot of them! Didn't see mention of people running the Premium ride hand adjustable shocks from HD. Do they suck? Are they expensive or both? I saw mention of screamin eagle shocks on a RK in this thread and they had great reviews.
I believe this thread is mainly for adapting the monroe/gabriel corvette shocks with a compressor for adjustability as you ride. I put the Gabriels on my 2007 Road King because one of the stock shocks froze up. Occasionally I will get an air leak (about 10,000 miles so far), re-tighten all fittings, add air, roll on. At this time, I haven't done the air compressor add. I have a small 160 psi compressor from O'Reilly's that I carry in a saddle bag for another week or so.

One thing I did miss when I did my install was SHORTENING THE LOWER LOOP FOR EXHAUST PIPE CLEARANCE. That will be dealt with when I do the compressor add.

Something to remember is that most gas stations and walmart tire/lube express air hose connections are limited to around 40-60 psi, walmart about 70 psi.

Last edited by Eggman1; 07-10-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:36 PM
Exsomos
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey all, im going to be installing a DIY ebay kit here soon. I dont know the correct name to the part that im looking for, but it would be something that you screw into the dump valve solenoid, that restricts the amount of air flow that comes out when you are "dumping"

I was trying to avoid having the rear end lower too quickly, and ive seen them on some air ride kits, but cant find that part by itself to purchase and add to my kit.

Anyone know what those things are called?

it has to be like some 1/4" thing that screws in the dump solenoid that has another screw on the end that you can tighten or loosen and change the rate at which the air from the system exits.

thanks

Quick Reply: Air ride installed...