Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warranty and dealer question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:08 PM
JCloud
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default warranty and dealer question

I have a warranty and dealer question…. I was reading another thread about a warranty issue and three times the question came up, “did you take it to the dealer you bought it from?”.
I bought a new 2011 Road King Classic several weeks ago. I checked with four dealerships about trading my 05 Heritage Classic in. Only one dealer had one in stock and they made me a MUCH BETTER deal than the others if I would complete the trade and take delivery of his bike before the end of the month (within 4 days). Long story short… I traded and love my new RKC. Now I need to have the 1,000 mile service and I am thinking about going to a dealership about 40 miles closer to me (with a good reputation for service) for this as well as latter services.
My question is: Am I better off to drive/ride the extra 40 miles and have my bike serviced by the dealership where I bought it? Is there an advantage to have all the services done at the same dealership? I am also thinking about buying the extending service plan.
Thanks for any and all advice.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,506 Likes on 3,335 Posts

The dealer you bought the bike from might put you ahead of other that didn't...Mine has a time or 2...Preffered customer programs??? Better yet do your own service.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCloud
My question is: Am I better off to drive/ride the extra 40 miles and have my bike serviced by the dealership where I bought it? Is there an advantage to have all the services done at the same dealership? I am also thinking about buying the extending service plan.
Thanks for any and all advice.
No, you would not be better off taking it to the selling dealership. The difference in the treatment you will get from that dealership isn't worth the extra 80 miles (40 there and 40 back) every single time you bring it in. If you become a regular at the closer dealership then you will start getting better treatment there. As far as the ESP, if you are mechanically inclined then I'd say no. Get a service manual and get your hands dirty. JMO

Old 11-19-2010, 07:59 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

I had warranty work done at the selling dealer and a local dealer.Really no difference.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my bike about 60 miles from home. I've never been back.

I get my service about 20 miles from home and HD Baton Rouge has given me excellent service and I've never heard a word about not buying from them-when I buy another one, I'll buy from them.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:54 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
I had warranty work done at the selling dealer and a local dealer.Really no difference.
Yep, you can have warranty work done at ANY Harley dealership regardless of where the bike was purchaced.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:26 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Man an extra 80 miles sounds like a very nice excuse to go for a ride. I do all my own work but if I did not I think I would try the selling dealer first and if they gave you good service I would keep going there. Hey they made you the best deal on your bike maybe the reason they made you the better deal is they want to keep you happy as a long term customer. If the closer dealer did not treat you right when you tried to buy new why give them any business in the future.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

If your local dealer has a good sevice department, get it done there. You will become friends over time.

.........................and the sales department and service department hate each other anyway.
The dealership will make more money over service and motorclothes, than selling a bike anyway.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:01 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

The dealer wants your business whether your bought the bike from them or not. I bought my Street Glide from a different dealer and get all of my work done by Anaheim Fullerton and have had no problems. Get to know the staff and you might even buy your next bike from the servicing dealer. Thats what happen in my case.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:25 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 316 Likes on 181 Posts

Depends on the dealers, I've seen dealers that would bend over backwards for a guy who lives far away but would treat the guys who live down the street like crap.
I also know of a dealer that will screw anyone who lives 40 miles away, (especially if they didn't buy the bike there) thinking that it's the only time he'll ever see them.
Myself I do my own service and buy from the dealers that I never hear complaints about. Occasionally I will buy stuff online, but I give my preferred dealers a shot at matching price first.

Quick Reply: warranty and dealer question