Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Kick/Jiffy stand unstable? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/586384-kick-jiffy-stand-unstable.html)

ripper43 11-29-2010 12:26 AM

Yes it will roll forword 2 or 3 inches when it is locked. don't let it freak you out they all do it. you'll get use to it sooner or later. Like I said it is the best and only locking sidestand on the market. It really freaks out my non-Harley riding buddies :icon_clapclap:

mfuchs2004 11-29-2010 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes (Post 7592350)
Are you all saying that when you have your bike on the stand, and move the bike forward whilst in gear, the stand does not move 3 or so inches? This is my first touring model, so maybe I am just being paranoid, but the fact that this is even a question makes me wonder if something is up with mine.

It does indeed move 2-3 inches on the touring models and less on the other models. This is a function of the length of the lever. The lighter bikes have a shorter lever so they don't appear to move as much. In reality, they all move the same number of degrees at the pivot point. Now that you have the bike up, go ahead and examine how the lever will lock into the base when the bike's weight forces it to engage. I can see from your posts that you're having a hard time believing all of us. Let me reverse your question if I may: do you know of a single rider reporting his bike tipping off the jiffy? I've never even heard a rumor other than seeing one dig a hole in fresh asphalt and tip but in the end that stand was STILL locked in place.

karbar99 11-29-2010 03:27 AM

Still looking for the video myself??

grbrown 11-29-2010 04:39 AM

I bought my first Harley back in the 70s and used to show off by parking it on steep slopes facing both up hill and down hill so it would roll and drag the stand when parked. A new bike will do the same, when leaning on the jiffy. OP needs to take a really close look at how the stand works, to get confidence in it.

NoCoLoco 11-29-2010 06:17 AM

I try NOT to park my bike facing down hill because the forward roll on the kickstand makes me a little uncomfortable not to mention it makes backing up a lot more difficult.

Chaffeekid 11-29-2010 07:40 AM

I put a center stand on mine, don't use the Jiffy much anymore. Mine does lock if the bikes weight is on it, but it still moves a little to much for me. Bought my center stand on e-bay and took about 15 minutes to put it on. Bolts to the "Bow Tie" brace under the frame with two bolts. Works great and sits the bike up straight, makes it much easier to clean. With a 1/4 inch piece of plywood under the center stand feet, you can lift the rear wheel off the gound.
Here's a link to the one that I have.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories

Jim

RollaMo 11-29-2010 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chaffeekid (Post 7592875)
I put a center stand on mine, don't use the Jiffy much anymore. Mine does lock if the bikes weight is on it, but it still moves a little to much for me. Bought my center stand on e-bay and took about 15 minutes to put it on. Bolts to the "Bow Tie" brace under the frame with two bolts. Works great and sits the bike up straight, makes it much easier to clean. With a 1/4 inch piece of plywood under the center stand feet, you can lift the rear wheel off the gound.
Here's a link to the one that I have.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories

Jim

Pretty sure you'll have a better chance of your bike falling over using that center stand, than you ever will using the jiffy stand.

I just picked up a new Street Glide on Saturday, and found out the touring models do indeed "seem" to have a little more movement in the stand than my Dyna did.

But, with the bikes weight fully on the stand (meaning I wasn't sitting on it), I pushed it forward being careful not to lift the weight off the stand.
You could see the jiffy stand move about an 1 1/2" and then drag across the floor. It will not swing up like you might think. It's locked to prevent that.

But take the weight off the bike and start rolling it, and the jiffy stand will swing up to it's retracted position. That's what its supposed to do.

dog155 11-29-2010 08:21 AM

You have not had the bike long enough.Eventually you will learn it is the best kickstand on the planet.Once the bike is on it and locked it will never be pushed off it unless picked back up.

AThousandHurricanes 11-29-2010 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by dog155 (Post 7593002)
You have not had the bike long enough.Eventually you will learn it is the best kickstand on the planet.Once the bike is on it and locked it will never be pushed off it unless picked back up.

True. This one is new and I only have a couple thousand miles on it, but that stand has freaked me out from day 1. Looks likenit is normal, however there is a first for everything, an I didn't want to be the first one to start the thread titled "My new SG just fell over because I trusted this wobbly stand"!

MNPGRider 11-29-2010 06:18 PM

"Are you all saying that when you have your bike on the stand, and move the bike forward whilst in gear, the stand does not move 3 or so inches?"

How can you move the bike forward if you have left it in gear? You are only getting the jiffy stand slop in neutral.

Shut off your bike in first gear, let out the clutch, let it roll back against the tranny, put your stand all the way forward, and lean it over. It will move only a fraction of what it will in neutral.

Just remember you have it in gear when it comes time to start..... :)

Many of the Jap bikes only have to move a slight amount to fall off their near straight up stands. Their riders soon learn the hard way ($$$) to leave their bikes in gear when stopped, which, incidently, is how MSF teaches, to keep the bikes from rolling off their side stands....a problem that Harley's locking jiffy stand doesn't have, when parked properly.