Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Kick/Jiffy stand unstable? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/586384-kick-jiffy-stand-unstable.html)

AThousandHurricanes 11-27-2010 11:54 PM

Kick/Jiffy stand unstable?

Does anyone else not trust the kickstand one bit? on my 2010 SG, that thing is so wobbly that I just know one day it is gonna drop the bike. With the bike parked in gear, there seems to be enough room between the gear teeth that the bike could roll enough forward to cause the stand to begin it's swing backwards enough to drop the bike. I guess I am just used to my aftermarket positive locking Ness stand on my other bike, but seriously, it seems like the most glaring flaw I can find on the bike so far.

Anyone else notice this?

DTTJGlide 11-27-2010 11:57 PM

NO, the jiffy stand locks & can't move past a certain point even if you try & push the bike forward.

AThousandHurricanes 11-28-2010 12:02 AM

??? mine doesn't lock at all. it swings forward but there is no lock. If I push the bike forward a little the stand flips up. Doesn't take much. luckily I have been on the bike each time I have done this.

Pc PaiN 11-28-2010 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes (Post 7588301)
??? mine doesn't lock at all. it swings forward but there is no lock. If I push the bike forward a little the stand flips up. Doesn't take much. luckily I have been on the bike each time I have done this.

Is this with the bike standing upright? If so the lock engages when the bike is ON the sidestand. You're paranoid

AThousandHurricanes 11-28-2010 01:11 AM

OK so you guys are saying your stand does not sway at all when the bike is moved? Tomorrow I shall make a video. Naysayers beware!

Mike 11-28-2010 01:18 AM

Cracks me up sometimes when I get off my bike in the parking lot at work, and one of my co workers thinks it's about to roll off the side stand. They'll make a move towards it, like they're going to save it from falling over. Lol

Navy UC Rider 11-28-2010 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes (Post 7588301)

If you are sitting on your bike (upright, off the stand), then you are correct, it is not locked. If the bike is fully on it's Jiffy Stand, it should have a fore/aft stop. I have gotten use to mine, the first time was a shock though.

Cale

mfuchs2004 11-28-2010 02:26 AM

I weigh 240, and I can stand on one or both boards without fear of the jiffy moving outside its stops. Gotta admit it scared the crappy outta me in the beginning coming from Kawasakis. It will move an inch or three on the touring models, and less on sportys. I've heard it's to let the bike take up the gear slack. Makes sense to me.

ripper43 11-28-2010 02:46 AM

If the weight of the bike is on the stand and it does not lock then there is a problem with the jiffy stand or you do not have it all the way out in the locked position. If you are on the bike with it up right and you roll it forword then yes the stand will fold up like it should.
The Jiffy stand only locks when the weight of the bike is on it... Is this your first Harley:icon_question:
This is my Harley Davidson Jiffy Stand is defective thread # 100240 and out of all those I can only remember a very few that had a real problem most of which were to much lean angle from the factory.
The HD JS is something you have to get use to. once you do get use to it you will find that it is the best side stand on the market.
I will watch for the video because it could be defective but I doubt it.

petom 11-28-2010 03:47 AM

My first Harley(1969 XLCH) would always scare the crap out of me. I was sure it would roll off the sidestand. 38 years and a few bikes later and it still hasn't happened. To put your mind at ease, put it in gear, push forward as far as you can against the gear slack, and with weight on the stand, nudge it forward to it's full forward movement. Don't let your buddies see you do it because they'll think you're paranoid.