Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Tire Off Center... UPDATE... W/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Doesn't the left side of the spacer rest against a lip on the axle? It's not supposed to actually touch the fork leg. I think I remember seeing that gap when I used stock axles. Maybe the "gap" your seeing is "normal". Not sure. If the spacer slides back and forth it's obviously not good. But it might be resting against the lip on the axle and be fine. I'm sure you're going to check.

I don't know how you can get a good measurement front to back if the rear rim is wider. It's rotor has got to be pushed out further than a rotor on the front rim. In other words they will never align straight. I guess...

I'm probably all wrong. Just trying to help. Heck... it's early.

lp
I don't know what to think.......guess I will get the manuals out tonight and read up.

07 RKC has that much gap and then some. 08 RKC has zero gap. I assumed there was gap or no gap based on alignment at the time of install but I better dig into it.

Look forward OP to hearing what the dealer says when you go back in.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

So, do you think this is the problem that is making the rear 407 type tire to cup or wear high and low?

What kind of ride problem did you experience to bring this to your attention?

Jerry

Old 12-03-2010, 05:58 AM
veegee
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be pissed too. That is a butcher job.
My Ultra and Dyna both are offset a little each, in comparison to how it sits in the rear fender and swingarm. I questioned it with dealers and independents and it is normal. Both ride fine and never a problem. I'd like to know the outcome and the dealer as well.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:51 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RH spacer DOES rest against the step in the axle.
The design allows for variance in the space between the fork legs, so the forks won't bind when the axle is tightened.
If you're wheel is off that much, it's probably because one of your triple trees are off, or a fork tube is bent.
BTW - how did you come to the conclusion your back tire was off?
If it's because the fender was offset - you know you can move it a pretty substantial distance to straighten it.
Mine was off a 1/4 inch - I took off the saddlebag and pulled on the saddlebag support at the rear until I got it to line up right.
worked for me!

Last edited by Scorpion07; 12-03-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:38 AM
flynng
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at the pictures and seen the difference in space between the square and the piece of channel. My question is, what is the point of reference used that make that piece of channel a valid reference. Is it lined up with the rear wheel? The pictures don't show how the offset error is being measured.

Just trying to help.

Originally Posted by jasnusc
You wont believe this ****.

So I call the dealer and they say the front tire was off center. I ask how is that possible it only has 1 spacer on each side and on the 09 they are equal length. He said "must have been a bad spacer". They said they measured it and its only off center .025".

I pick it up in the dark and ride it home and it feels exactly the same. I put it up on the lift to measure it and find it is still off exactly the same amount it was before .380"

AND.... I see that they removed the factory spacer and replaced it with a random piece of spacer stock that isnt long enough and DOESNT FIT between the wheel and fork leg. What a ****ing joke!

Old 12-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the manual, the axle is tightened first and than the fork leg is pushed over to make contact with the spacer before tightening the axle clamp.

While the fork leg should be touching the spacer, it does not actually hold anything in place.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:22 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a good video for alignment. if you go to the end you'll see if you run lazer line off both rotors w wheels 90 degrees to a level frame there is a gap in the parallel lines but the gap should be equal front to back when in alignment:

http://www.glide-pro.com/install/

Last edited by gmc; 12-03-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:53 AM
jasnusc
Road Master

The aluminum channel is placed flush against the sides of the rear tire. That aluminum channel runs all the way to the front of the bike. And I rotated the rear tire to 3 different spots "just in case" there was some imperfection in the mold causing it not to sit flat

Yes My first plan was to measure off the face of the front tire but that is a very big gap and I knew if it was off it would be a small amount and quickly discovered the rotor would work much better.

I measured the distance from the back side of the rotor to the face of the rim to confirm that they are the same distance away from it on each side. I found that one of the rotors actually sits .008" further away from the face of the rim on one side so i took that into consideration when measuring

Yes Dunlop told me an alignment problem could have been the reason my Rear 407 tire cupped so bad in addition to wrong psi in tire.

I have been building bikes and riding my whole life. I have a very good "feel" for bikes and can tell something is wrong. I can feel that it is not tracking straight even though its only off 3/16 of an inch. I was expecting to find that my rear wheel was turned one way or another I was not expecting to find it offset to one side.

Im going back to the dealer either way because I want to see the measurement tool they use & the paperwork they gave me last night is all wrong saying I was complaining about an oil leak which I wasnt and to have an issue with my wheel weights corrected that they were supposed to but didnt.

I will look at other bikes at the dealer to see if I am correct about the fitment of the spacer and that both spacers are supposed to look the same before I make myself look stupid bitching about it. I swear both spacers used to look the same and fit up against the forks because I took a bunch of measurements last time in that area "But I Could Be Wrong"......

Old 12-03-2010, 09:55 AM
jasnusc
Road Master

Originally Posted by gmc
There is a good video for alignment. if you go to the end you'll see if you run lazer line off both rotors w wheels 90 degrees to a level frame there is a gap in the parallel lines but the gap should be equal front to back when in alignment:

http://www.glide-pro.com/install/

Exactly....

There will be a gap because they are different widths but the gap should be equal assuming your rotors are equal distance from your rims which mine, essentially, are.

You can see in that video it is very common to use front rotors as a point of reference as they are considered to be equal distance from front wheel and centered as they bolt straight to the face of it.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe motor alignment can affect wheel alignment also. Check your manual. There's an illustration regarding this.

Quick Reply: Rear Tire Off Center... UPDATE... W/ Pics