Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Tire Off Center... UPDATE... W/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 AM
vnelson79
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks to me as he is measuring off of the rotors to his lift. That measurement may be different b/c of the the wheel spacers, rotor mounts from left to right. I don't really know but that seems like a logical conclusion. Also what types of problems are you experiencing ???? I would say if the tires are off center the bike would walk really bad at high speeds and probably wear out tires very fast.......

Old 12-03-2010, 11:29 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

If the wheel has been changed and has an ABS bearing on a non abs bike with non spacers the abs bearing is thicker and would throw off the spacing. Ignore if not the case. **** poor of the dealer to do chit like that

Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update

ANOTHER UPDATE

So... I take it to the dealer and review everything with the Service Manager. He apologized and took responsibility for all of the wrong information they put on my paperwork (which I did not bring up in my thread) and he agreed the wheel weights needed to be fixed that they just installed (which I did not bring up either the initial mechanic said "its fine for them to hang like that they arent going anywhere")

He went on to say that the 09 frame is all locked down so there is no adjustment and that he has the option of telling me there is nothing they can do. I asked to watch them measure it and I was shocked at how they did it. They were using the same Crude way of measuring it as I was at home but even worse. Instead of holding the aluminum up against the face of the tire as high as they could so they could ensure it was as flush as possible they let it sit on the ground so it was barely touching the sidewall. And they had a guy sitting on it instead of on a lift so every time he shifted his weight the aluminum would move and he used a household tape measure to make sure it was straight. I was obviously irritated and explained to them how horrible their procedure was. He measured it twice using this method and got two different measurements.

The admitted using a different spacer but upon further review "technically" it didnt cause any problem because of the way the axle is designed. But because the axle draws in as you tighten it on the left side it also didnt make a **** of difference to the position of the wheel. If you dont change the length of the left spacer the wheel position will stay the same because the right side floats and sits on a step in the axle. All they did was put a different looking spacer on there that did nothing. I asked what he accomplished by changing that spacer and he said he didnt know.

Last edited by jasnusc; 12-03-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:30 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow... time to find a new dealer

Old 12-03-2010, 02:38 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

UPDATE

So they fixed the wheel weight and put the stock spacer back on per my request and I went home.

I call MOCO for the 1st time ever and speak with Chris. He starts by saying that "even if it does have an offset nobody would ever be able to feel that while riding". I told him I disagreed since I felt it, bought a straight edge long enough to check it and was able to prove it! He than asked if I have modified my bike at all. I said No I have not modified anything to the wheels,tires,suspension,forks etc....

He said "thats not what I asked... did you modify it at all". So I went on for a few min listing windshields, tourpacks, highway pegs, tweeters, carpet kit, gps mount etc... until he got the point that Im not an idiot and answered correctly the first time that I havent added anything that would affect alignment.

He also said "Its supposed to have an offset, ALL Harleys have offsets, but said he Wont give me that in writing. He said ".380 is within spec" but wont tell me what the maximum allowed offset is. He also asked if I owned the service manual to which I said "Yes, is any of that information in there"? and he said No so I dont know what that is all about?

He was arrogant and defensive and never seemed interested in helping me. I called back and spoke with a lady named Kathy who was very nice and cool and was going to have a manager look into the situation with my bike, listen to the recording of my call with Chris and call me back regarding both issues.

Drama Drama Drama......

Old 12-03-2010, 02:40 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

Originally Posted by slothy
wow... time to find a new dealer
This is my 3rd dealer. Might be time to find a New Motorcycle Mfg?

Old 12-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Maybe it really is made that way? Seems odd, but then again I have not been building motorcycles for 100+ years.

Maybe you will get a call back with more info. I guess the second question would be if the MOCO calls back and tells you it was designed that way, will you be satisfied?

You don't know anyone in your area with the same year bike to verify your measurements?

Old 12-03-2010, 03:20 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

If MOCO refuses to put in writing that It Is designed that way and what amount off offset is within spec I wont be satisfied

Old 12-03-2010, 04:16 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasnusc
If MOCO refuses to put in writing that It Is designed that way and what amount off offset is within spec I wont be satisfied
And if they do?

Old 12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Mav
Tourer

Have you measured other HD's to see what the measurements are?

Seemingly everything is "within spec" unless ur broke down on the side of the road...

Quick Reply: Rear Tire Off Center... UPDATE... W/ Pics