Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS advice needed. What is difference between Garmin 660 & HD 660

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 AM
david christopher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some of the harley POIs are not accurite....for example, Jackson MS and Little Rock Arkansas POI will get you lost with no harley dealer to be found

Old 12-11-2010, 09:57 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Where did you find the HD app download? I cant load crap into my 550, maybe because Im using a Mac. I thought the only difference was the color and the dealer locations, maybe the hotels and such are more biker friendly? Ill be watching this thread for hopefully some good info.
You should have no trouble loading files to you Nav using a Mac. I've done it for years.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:32 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a major difference between the 2 units if you ever plan on using the harley nav int module. Sure, you can plug any gps into the aux port and here sounds, but if you want to listen to fm, cd, or factory xm and have the volume muted and hear turn by turn directions you need the hd branded unit. It has software that puts out a digital signal to the nim that causes it to mute the other sources. The standard garmin does not send that digital signal when it gives out directions.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't be surprised to find out that the only differences are cosmetic and price. HD has a long history of taking something you can buy in the aftermarket, putting a bar & shield on it, and selling it for a higher price.

And +1 on joining zumoforums. There's a wealth of information there, including how to wire it up.

Last edited by Sharknose; 12-11-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Appreciate the info from everyone. And I'll take your advice 2wheelglider about the differences between the regular zumo and the HD branded one. Looks like I will go with the HD one. Estil

Old 12-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

Whoa, someone needs to drink less coffee. It sounds like you are using the AUX jack on your stereo. I would bet the other poster was referring to the new Navigational Interface Module that just came out.

Originally Posted by Gumby256
WRONG!

I have the Garmin Zumo 660 and love it! The only differences I am aware of is the wallpaper when you first turn it on which I changed just like Harley did and it has Harley dealers in a special points of interest file, which I downloaded free and have anyway. I've got a 2009 Ultra Classic and It DOES COME OUT THE SPEAKERS or the headset if I want! When I use the Garmin I typically have downloaded a back road route from the P.C.'s Garmin MapSource program, I have 8GB MicroSD card in the Garmin so I listen to MP3's through the bikes speakers, the Garmin will override that to speak directions and the CB will override that if I want it to. Oh, and I also got the car mount free that you don't get with the HD unit. And I got a 20% discount ordering direct from Garmin with my American Motorcyle Association (AMA) membership so the price difference was several hundred if I recall... more than paid for my membership!

Old 12-11-2010, 01:53 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I got my HD branded 665 for just over $800. I hooked it up using the HD NIM (nav interface module) and had a rear AUX installed by Iron Cross Audio. This way, there are no visible wires. You can see the install in my video.

Here's some pics.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sifularson
I got my HD branded 665 for just over $800. I hooked it up using the HD NIM (nav interface module) and had a rear AUX installed by Iron Cross Audio. This way, there are no visible wires. You can see the install in my video.

Here's some pics.

That's the same setup I hope to achieve. Plan on using the gascap mount from Kuraykan (sp) as well. I'll review your video also. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:20 PM
hxturbo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sifularson....If you used the module, what is the rear aux plug for? I ordered the gas cap mount after our last correspondance.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:21 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hxturbo1
Sifularson....If you used the module, what is the rear aux plug for? I ordered the gas cap mount after our last correspondance.
This is a VERY good question. I found out after I bought the NIM that to listen to the XM or MP3 output from the Zumo, it had to be plugged into the AUX port. If you are not using your Zumo for music, then you do not need that wire. For instance, the 660 does not come with XM.

I really like XM on long highway trips so that's why I went to the trouble. I also have a stash of my favorite road music loaded onto the chip in the Zumo just in case I'm bored with AM, FM, XM, or CD. LOL

Quick Reply: GPS advice needed. What is difference between Garmin 660 & HD 660