Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have success negotiating with dealers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:25 AM
IMFletcher
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have success negotiating with dealers...

On used bikes? Man, they seem so much more expensive than what they are worth. The experience I've had is the dealers are more willing to negotiate on a new model versus a used one. I know they put some money into the used bike and they are selling piece of mind, but wow...

Thanks in advance.

IMFletcher

Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 637 Likes on 508 Posts

most dealers dont out a dime into trade ins ive seen ripped seats and unwashed bikes with dead batteries sitting on their floors(when u know they got a pile of takeoffs sitting in the service dept)they negotiate for a living, so trying to beat them at their own game is a tough deal.most that want a good price on used stay far away from dealers.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Just laughing at this yesterday at the dealer...

2008 Streetglide. Basic mods and 10k miles. $20.4k OTD.
2011 Streetglide. Brand new. 0 miles $23k OTD

Ummm, ok.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 AM
griffy
Intermediate

Had to laugh at this one. last year a HD dealer here in Central Florida had ad in the Orlando paper advertising Harleys now at MSRP. Economy down and nobody buying at inflated prices. But they also charge you a $400 document fee just for the paperwork that they used to do for nothing. Griffy

Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Yes...bring the wife & have her be the "bad cop" - works every time...

Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 AM
pilgrim08
Tourer

Originally Posted by shore
Just laughing at this yesterday at the dealer...

2008 Streetglide. Basic mods and 10k miles. $20.4k OTD.
2011 Streetglide. Brand new. 0 miles $23k OTD

Ummm, ok.
I figure the Moco is making money on the loans we get through them. That is why the price is artificially inflated. Borrow more and the payments are higher which makes most of us extend the loan out a couple more years....equals more interest.
OOOPS! Just reported my own post by accident. DDAAHH!

Last edited by pilgrim08; 01-02-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Twoshots
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wife playing bad cop

I can see it now!! wife says if you buy that im leavin. and me jumpin up and screeming hot da# 2 deals on the same day. HA! Just kiddin sweety

Old 01-02-2011, 10:04 AM
softone
Cruiser

Yes! Always bring a "bad cop" along. It always helps. Some years back, we bought a used Sporty from a dealer (don't have it anymore tho...) and the sticker said $5,500. Took it for a short ride then told him we'd give $3,500 right now - no loan - and just as it stood on the floor. He came back from asking the manager and said 'yes'. This was in May amazingly enough - prime riding season. Just know your prices and stand firm. Try to make a clean deal without financing. It helps. But use the husband/wife walk away technique if needed. On the private buying used front, you can almost always do better, but do your homework - again, know your prices. The lastest bike we got, the guy wanted 10k. We walked and he said "ok 8k". We said we'd get back to him later in the week. Came back with 70 - $100 bills and fanned them out in his face. We now have one sweet FLSTCI. CASH as amazing power no matter dealer or private.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently bought a pristine '03 RKC from a local dealer. they had it priced right along with Kelley and NADA. I negotiated them down $2000; had a new battery, new tires (balanced and wheels trued) and new stock mufflers installed. also got the 20K service and my choice of grips installed.

oh, and a new tee-shirt...

I feel like I came out on top of this deal. of course, I paid MSRP for my Fat Boy in '08.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I negotiated and brought the price down by $2k. I actually started by saying there is no way I could get close to what they were asking. After looking at it a while, I thanked the guy and told the hubby to take me home.

The sales guy asked if I wanted to make an offer, and I started off about $2500 less than what they were asking. They came back at 1k over my offer. I said thanks and told hubby to take me home. Hubby asked if the guy had a card and we would call next month to see if they had anything else.

Salesman came back and asked if I wanted to make a counter offer. Added $300 to my original offer and told them they had to store it for the winter. They came back at $200 over that. I took it.

Of course, this was 1 hour before they were closing, the Sunday before Christmas, so that may have had something to do with it - or, maybe not.

They had already put new tires on it and given it its first major service (its at just under 24k miles), so I was happy with the deal.

Quick Reply: Anyone have success negotiating with dealers...