Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bigger Sprocket for 07 & 08s??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:04 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rare100thHD
My opinion here only:
HD should have never sent out a single 07 touring, with out the IDS System, and since they did they should have been forced to install and give them to all the 07 touring owners at no charge and with a big huge apology.
Every single touring bike since the introduction of 08 models has either a IDS or the IDS hub and probable always will from here forward. If your gona keep your 07 long you should spend the extra 100 or so and convert it now.
I agree, but as we all know they'll never provide them free. OTOH the $305 price (<$200 at Zanotti's) for the option is obscene and they should provide them at cost or below. By now the '07 is a forgotten model, as they have even dropped cruise-control from their accessory list for '07s. I don't see much chance for movement on the part of the Moco toward trying to make '07 owners happy.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM
shootist
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ok gears

I have 07 Street Glide with the stock gears. I have the se-255 cams and all six gears came alive. The only time I noticed too high of gears is following the older Harley. Miss match.
3rd gear and especialy 4th on the 07 & 08 are really cool gears. Hate to lose those and 6th true over drive. I can remember shifting my 01 Road king Classic from 1st to 2nd, fairly quick. If I was to change gears lower I would do the jap sprocket. Easy to go back.

07 SG, 96", stage 1, SEST,se-255, V&h dresser duals with Rin slip on's. 80 HP, 96 torque just nice.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes 40350-07 non-IDS standard ole fixed sprocket. However

If you do not have the IDS and do not want to have a IDS Sprocket then yes all you need to buy is the Sprocket. The bearing has nothing to do with the Non-IDS. It is a standard style Sprocket, no bearing, spacers to buy, just the sprocket and when you swap it out you put everything else back together just like it came apart. Except you will be geared a little better, and you won't haved the extra cushion like us IDS people which you may not know is much better. It is needed to help cushion your drivetrain!
My opinion here only:
HD should have never sent out a single 07 touring, with out the IDS System, and since they did they should have been forced to install and give them to all the 07 touring owners at no charge and with a big huge apology.
Every single touring bike since the introduction of 08 models has either a IDS or the IDS hub and probable always will from here forward. If your gona keep your 07 long you should spend the extra 100 or so and convert it now.
You are of course correct on the bearing for non IDS. My post above is incorrect.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Got a chance to go for a quick ride with the new Japanese Sportster sprocket.
Nothing earth shaking but there is a very noticeable difference in acceleration at lower rpms. The change at lower speeds is very nice especially in conditions where first gear felt to low and 2nd too high. Looking forward to a ride in the mountains.
Speedo error: 50 speedo/48 gps 70 speedo/65 gps.
Probably not as good as my 1st choice (49T clutch gear) but nice and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now your gearing is matched exactly to a 2009 2010 and 2011 Touring Model. We should all rush to our dealers and demand that our speedo's get corrected. And call the MoCo if the dealers don't have a answer!!!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

If you have a 08 model and wish to gear it a little lower (better) which will match all the touring bikes produced after 08 the all you need is these three parts:
Part # for 08 models,
9285 extended race 25mm bearing. for 08 models only!
40278-08 rubber isolators need 6 of these
40518-08 68t sprocket
In your opinion will this pulley make a longer belt necessary? I have an 08. I desperately need a gearing change.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer

No not necessary, I did not change my belt and neither did Steve who just finished his today and test rode it...the axle adjusting cams just don't go up quite as far as they used to !!!! No issue at all...no need to even think about the belt on a 2 tooth change on the rear pulley

Old 02-22-2011, 11:24 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
Thumbs up You both rock.

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Got a chance to go for a quick ride with the new Japanese Sportster sprocket.
Nothing earth shaking but there is a very noticeable difference in acceleration at lower rpms. The change at lower speeds is very nice especially in conditions where first gear felt to low and 2nd too high. Looking forward to a ride in the mountains.
Speedo error: 50 speedo/48 gps 70 speedo/65 gps.
Probably not as good as my 1st choice (49T clutch gear) but nice and a hell of a lot cheaper.
Just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the quick eval.

No not necessary, I did not change my belt and neither did Steve who just finished his today and test rode it...the axle adjusting cams just don't go up quite as far as they used to !!!! No issue at all...no need to even think about the belt on a 2 tooth change on the rear pulley
Thanks for the info, it's a big help.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by qtrracer
In your opinion will this pulley make a longer belt necessary? I have an 08. I desperately need a gearing change.
You say "desperately". The 68 tooth may not be enough change for you. I like it but I was very used to the stock gearing in my 07.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 AM
rare100thHD
Tourer

Originally Posted by qtrracer
When re-reading your statement about "desperately" makes me think you may need a little more than a two tooth change. But heres a excellent recomendation for you!!!
Do this simple inexpensive 68tooth rear pulley and later on if you need even more of a gearing change you can then go with a 31 tooth transmission pulley. U still will not have to go to the expense of the new belt. Because when you go larger pulley in the rear you take up more of the belt and when you go smaller on in the front you give more back to the belt. Therefore if you decide you need to go to the 31t front pulley, then you would put your axle back very very close to where it was before anything was ever changed...No 200 bucks for a new belt. And the axle adjusters would be back where they were.

Quick Reply: Bigger Sprocket for 07 & 08s??