Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring 103 CAMS

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
The 204 is listed as a race-only part in the S/E catalog, and as such has no warranty. A dealer would be well within their rights to deny a claim if the cams caused any damage.
All depends on the dealer. If your warranty is still in effect, most dealers will warrant an SE cam install for the full term of the remaining warranty. Just have to get the agreement up front. BTW, the SE204 is a great bolt in cam for 96".

For sure they won't warrant an aftermarket cam install.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Kingspoke
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The 204 is listed as a race-only part in the S/E catalog, and as such has no warranty. A dealer would be well within their rights to deny a claim if the cams caused any damage.
I disagree and feel confident I would win in court if it were necessary. It is a harley manufactured part and it is common knowledge that many of the SE parts are commonly installed by Harley Dealerships as well. Otherwise they should not sell it or let their dealers install it.

Technically you should not make any modifications to your motorcyle, including exhaust, but it is common knowledge that 95% the Harley customers do. I seriously doubt I would be challenged by MOCO! Just because it is not street legal it does not mean their product (designed specifically for my engine) should exempt MOCO from liability, if it should be the cause of catastrophic failure. In fact it should be of higher tolerance if designed for use for "Racing Purposes". A dealer can deny any claim if they choose to, but it is judge that makes the final decision.

If I were to install non-harley internal parts they could specifically state as the cause of engine failure (for example) they may have a point.

I respectfully disagree with your supposition, but lets leave it to the lawyers to iron out the details.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHEAD
Well, Just the lift and exhaust close would be enough for me,,, I'm still looking for infromation on the cycle rama 575 cam to see those numbers... I thank a few members that put a little more into a post that Asks for cams good for the 103" build..
Most of the cam manufacturers have the cam specs on their web sites. The Big Boyz site also has a pretty good tool for comparing cams for both twin cam and evo motors.

Cycle Rama 575
Intake: 15/35 230 dur, .575 lift 100 LC .156 TDC
Exhaust: 49/07 236 dur, .560 lift 111 LC .109 TDC
Overlap 22

SE204
Intake: 22/34 236 dur, .508 lift 96 LC .208 TDC
Exhaust : 52/8 240 dur, .508 lift 112 LC .129 TDC
Overlap 30

The Woods 5-6 is also a good choice for a stock 103
Intake: 17/37, 234 dur, .575 lift 100 LC .174 TDC
Exhaust: 39/15, 234 dur, .575 lift, 102 LC, .160 TDC
overlap 32

I like the SE255s in a 96, but I'm not a fan of them for the 103. Too much squeeze IMO. If you're not careful, you'll get your cranking pressure up around 200 psi, and can have issues with detonation and hot starting. Try to keep your CCP around 190 or less and you'll have a happy bike.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

As far as SE204 cams invalidating the warrantee, I can only speculate. I do know that some dealers are actually recommending them as a good stage II cam for 103 bikes, but I'm also sure that there's other dealers who won't go even a little outside the lines. It's probably a good idea to check with your dealer before going with any cam other than the SE255s.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:39 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Common knowledge is all well and good, but this is the disclaimer listed on the S/E catalog.....
The catalog you are about to view contains parts for race use only. Harley-Davidson® motorcycles modified with Screamin’ Eagle® Pro performance parts must not be used on public roads and in some cases may be restricted to closed-course competition. All performance parts identified with the crossed flags symbol are intended for racing applications only and are not legal for sale or use in California on pollution-controlled vehicles. Alterations of emission related components constitute tampering under the US EPA guidelines and can lead to substantial fines and penalties.
And....
Warranty: Installation of Screamin’ Eagle® products, and similar off-road or competition products from other manufacturers, except some street-legal offerings installed by authorized Harley® dealers, may void your H-D® limited vehicle warranty. See your dealer for more information.
And the cam's description clearly states, "For Race Application Only". You may get lucky and have a dealer honor a warranty claim, but they certainly couldn't be compelled to.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Robert_W
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common knowledge is all well and good, but this is the disclaimer listed on the S/E catalog.....And....And the cam's description clearly states, "For Race Application Only". You may get lucky and have a dealer honor a warranty claim, but they certainly couldn't be compelled to.
Consider this, you're a thousand miles from your local dealer that will honor the warranty after the mods, and you experience a "malfunction".

Ride safe,

Bob.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Robert_W
Consider this, you're a thousand miles from your local dealer that will honor the warranty after the mods, and you experience a malfunction.
Absolutely. You may have a fantastic relationship with your local dealer, and they may cover whatever you do to your bike, but that may or may not apply to any other shop.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Emonster6x
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When someone blows by you, do you ever shout: "Dude, you have seriously voided your warranty!!!"

Trust me, He already knows...

If Harleys came with no warranty at all, would you buy a hyundai instead???

Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
When someone blows by you, do you ever shout: "Dude, you have seriously voided your warranty!!!" Trust me, He already knows... If Harleys came with no warranty at all, would you buy a hyundai instead???
Nope, but when I ride 30,000 miles a year and the vast majority of that is on trips away from home, it's worth considering. Especially since I've already had a bunch of things replaced by both the initial warranty and the ESP.

Quick Reply: Touring 103 CAMS