Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cooling Test Data

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2black1. I'm sure I've seen love jugs on eBay before. I know they exist. Now I don't know if they went out of business or are running under a different name.
Try eBay if you really want to track it down.
Google didn't turn up anything for you?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:03 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
2black1. I'm sure I've seen love jugs on eBay before. I know they exist. Now I don't know if they went out of business or are running under a different name.
Try eBay if you really want to track it down.
Google didn't turn up anything for you?
Ok thanks. I found them.

Again, Springer Man, send me a set or have the manufacturer send me a set and I'll subject them to the same test process as the LeNale was subjected to in this thread and post the results for all to see.

Contact me via PM to work out the details.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 130 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Hey guys, I don't know who this Springer Man is but he has made his presence known in this thread a few times (posts 82, 87,89,99, 116). Looks like all of his posts are in this thread. I tried to contact him to take him up on his offer to test the "Love Jugs" but have never gotten any response. Then the fact that no one has ever been able to find any information about them by searching the web, and no one has ever stepped forward and said "yeah, I've seen those", makes me wonder if such a product actually exists. Who are you Springer Man? And where can we find these "Love Jugs"?
They are available on ebay and look pretty good to me. I asked a question about the switches and he replied the next day.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Bigg Lou
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Allow me to create the scenario.

I live in Las Vegas and have no other vehicle other than my '09 Dyna Fat Bob Harley, so needless to say I am a daily rider. I have installed a Dakota Digital gauge that shows the engine head temperature so I can at least get a sense of what temp my engine is running at.

Here in Vegas we get 110+ temperatures in the summer and other than maybe Arizona and New Mexico probably the hottest in the country. It is only June, 2012 and this past Saturday the 2nd of June Vegas hit 108 degree temperature. I had many "errands" to take care of that Saturday morning and I switched my display the day before (104 temp day) to the temperature display. I was at a signal light on the corner of my office complex which is across from Spearmint Rhino (been to Vegas? then you know what/where that is...) ready to swoop into my warehouse and was sitting idle at a stop light. This damn light never turns unless a cage pulls up behind me, which never happens in a timely manner, so I usually run the light, BUT that Saturday a cop in plain view looking for ticketing someone made me "impatiently" wait Lo and behold my bike overheats and shuts down. The DD gauge showed 338 degrees. I really don't know how accurate that truly is but it was high enough to shut down my Dyna and I had to walk my bike all of 100 feet to my warehouse in 108 temp. Friggin' BUMMER!

Anyway I've always looked at ways to minimize the heat Harley's generate. My first oil change was a switch to full synthetic, added a 2" tank lift for more air flow, try to stop at lights in shade if available, if lights are unknown to avoid if possible, take right turns as much as possible, even run left signals if safe to do, etc., etc., well it's only June and the hottest month is July & August which are still quite some time away so what to do? I've talked with other riders, the stealership, read HDForums and there isn't many options. Yeah I could install an oil cooler but without movement and air flow an oil cooler is useless. So stop and go traffic as in bigger cities an oil cooler is a waste of money because there is not enough air flow, if any.

So the point of this posting is to argue the previous postings on this thread. An air cooling fan is ONLY meant to cool the engine while in idle! If your in motion then you have air flow and a fan is unnecessary. Sitting idle is the worst time for a Harley engine which invariably will overheat. I've been to Sturgis multiple times and every bike pulled over that has shut down due to overheating has always been a Harley (that really sucks as I have buddies that ride "other" bikes that give me $hit over that). I personally avoid Main St. and take the alleys because of this so I've never shut down myself in Sturgis. Based on 2black1s posting of his findings of air coolers usefulness I DEFINITELY will be ordering one this week, especially after the shutdown this past Saturday. So unless you are in a stop and go environment where the heat is excessive, such as Southwest, Desert, South, etc. then you may not have to deal with this overheating. For me in Vegas ANYTHING that will drop the engine temps down is a HUGE help. Based on 2black1s findings of 50 degree drop this "fan" is definitely worth the investment.

HDForums has many great contributing posters and the detail they provide really helps those of us that are dealing with an issue, such as this one. I thank 2black1s for his in-depth test. I have already emailed cda_v-twin_fans on eBay with questions on his fan. I could care less about the horn because I've never use mine. Stock horns are useless since in a time of need they can't be heard so the unit CDA offers without the horn is fine for me. But my Dyna is solid wrinkle black powder coat so I asked him questions about him PC the unit or warranty voided if I tear it down. Either way I'll be ordering this week to prepare for Vegas 110+ - 118+ temperatures due in another month or so.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 PM
In2It
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bigg Lou check out Wards Pasts Werks his fans are powder coated and bend in nicely and don't take away from the motor.I have a set on my 08HD ULTRA here in El Paso Tx get hot here also and they made a big difference for me.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bigg Lou, I have an engine cooling fan on order now, I also have an Ultracool oil cooler, I know the oil cooler won't do as much as the fans, but a fan assisted oil cooler does make s difference, I was definitely able to tell last summer.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:51 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Lou
. . . . . . . .
An air cooling fan is ONLY meant to cool the engine while in idle! If your in motion then you have air flow and a fan is unnecessary. Sitting idle is the worst time for a Harley engine which invariably will overheat. I've been to Sturgis multiple times and every bike pulled over that has shut down due to overheating has always been a Harley (that really sucks as I have buddies that ride "other" bikes that give me $hit over that). . . . . . . .
Yep, I've been running the Lenale down in Central Florida for over a year now. I use it at every stop light in the summer. These new fans sound even better. I ride a Harley also but actually some of the Yamaha Star models are still air cooled also. Course if I sitting at a long train crossing, I just turn the engine off totally. I won't run my engine much past 3 mins sitting still, just the way I am.

You can always tell who is ridun a water cooled bike at PGR rides. They are the ones that crankup as soon as we mount up. The rest of us sit and wait until the Hurse is actually moving.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Bigg Lou
Tourer

Originally Posted by In2It
Bigg Lou check out Wards Pasts Werks his fans are powder coated and bend in nicely and don't take away from the motor.I have a set on my 08HD ULTRA here in El Paso Tx get hot here also and they made a big difference for me.
Yep been chatting with Wards since I posted my Vegas overheating/shutdown dilemma and have read 1/2 of his 46 page thread as well. I'm by no means an expert but using common sense I think the dual setup is superior in air flow than a single and the size isn't gaudy like the Love Jugs and finally the fact that it kicks in automatically from 35mph or slower is HUGE. I don't want to have to remember to turn on/off the air cooler at ever stoplight or stop sign. What a pain in the **** that would be. Auto is good, install it and forget about it, that is the way to go. Finally the price he provides for HDForums members is an excellent perk.

I have Ward looking into PCing the setup in wrinkle black instead of flat black but whether or not that happens the flat black PC is good enough and he'll also do the screens to match. Great communication, great looking product and the discussions from other members and his own feedback give me confidence over other brands by far.

Looking forward to riding in the Vegas heat and not worry about getting stranded

Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Bigg Lou
Tourer

Originally Posted by dbell66253
Bigg Lou, I have an engine cooling fan on order now, I also have an Ultracool oil cooler, I know the oil cooler won't do as much as the fans, but a fan assisted oil cooler does make s difference, I was definitely able to tell last summer.
I totally agree I want an oil cooler as well and a fan assisted one is obviously better. Who's are you using and does it fit a Dyna? I haven't research them yet but after the air fan cooling setup from Ward then that will be the next purchase.

Since this is my daily rider I look at practical/useful mods as far more important to my bike than the cosmetic mods. That's why I went with wrinkle black PC, less cleaning, more riding

Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree that the auto feature that will soon be available from Wards Parts Werks is a worthwhile addition. In the time I have been running my LeNale I haven't found turning it on manually to be a problem, but you don't know how many times I've been an hour down the road and I notice it's still on. I do forget to turn it off sometimes.

Another thing to consider, regardless of which manufacturer's system you use, anyone of them has got to be better than no fan at all.

Quick Reply: Engine Cooling Test Data