Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Street Glide handlebar options (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/605442-street-glide-handlebar-options.html)

Jg5884 01-31-2011 09:17 PM

Street Glide handlebar options

Anyone have a recommendation for handlebars that have a three inch reach, in chrome? I want to replace the stock bar and keep the height (no apes), but not have to reach so far. Also want them thicker to run my wires through.

cycler 01-31-2011 09:53 PM

Roland Sands are 8 inches high and have a nice bend to them. I have the black ones on my bike. I just ordered the yaffe 12 inch monkey bars so those are coming off. The are really nice and comfortable but I just wanted something a little taller. Go on PM's website and take a look at the street glide in the bike catagory. They have those bars on the bike

porkchopsd 01-31-2011 10:38 PM

I am going with the chubby 575s two up and 3 out, I think, with the same bend as the stock bars but with that extra couple of inches of pull back, I was looking for the same thing in a set of bars nothing to wild just more comfortable, they go on Saturday, I'll post a couple of pics and let you know if I am happy, I won't admit if I am not with what it is costing

Jg5884 02-02-2011 09:51 PM

Saw the chubby 575's. Also had a recommendation for Krhomewerks.

mike1158 02-03-2011 07:55 AM

i sat on a bike with the 575s... i think they will fit the bill. I'm 5'6 and i wasn't reaching for them at all.....

Texas Fat Boy 02-03-2011 08:05 AM

I had the Wild 1 WO575 bars are they are really comfy. A little higher, a little more pull back and a lot wider.
The wrist angle is great also. That is the main complaint I have heard about the HD Pull Back bars.

Jg5884 02-03-2011 09:34 AM

Thanks for the input. I have two questions that I would love to have answered from anyone that has the 575's. Does the height of the bar interfear with the visibility of the fairing mirrors at all and are the bars, too wide. Initially I'm looking for pull back only, if I can find such a bar.

2manytoys 02-03-2011 10:10 AM

Thanks for the input. I have two questions that I would love to have answered from anyone that has the 575's. Does the height of the bar interfear with the visibility of the fairing mirrors at all and are the bars, too wide. Initially I'm looking for pull back only, if I can find such a bar
I have the WO575's on my SG. I removed the fairing mirrors at the same time so I can't say for sure but I believe you may see part of your hands in the mirrors. Speaking of width, I noticed it right away especially at slow speed sharp turns, as in pulling up and backing to park against a curb. Felt like I was reaching a bit for the outboard grip. After a few times parking I forgot about it. I will say that when I sit on a new bike with stock bars now they feel too narrow. Go figure.

DocHarley 02-03-2011 02:47 PM

I have the Wild 1 WO575 and Yes, without a doubt they interfere with the mirrors. If you want a clear view you will need to install handlebar mirrors

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...y/DSC03333.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...y/DSC03332.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...y/DSC03331.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...y/DSC03329.jpg

TRUBRIT 02-04-2011 12:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
KW Ergo bars. Yes they interfere with the stock mirrors. I took Arlen Ness Mini Ovals and mated them to the Kury fairing mount.

porkchopsd 02-04-2011 10:00 PM

Doc,
Could the bars be pulled down and closer to the rider so as to not interfere so much with the faring mirrors, I wonder if you could use the MOCO fairing mirrors that have the build in curved mirrors, they are a little wider, those you have look wider too. Are those speakers glowing? those are very cool, I need to get those too, WTF, it just never ends does it.

DocHarley 02-05-2011 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by porkchopsd (Post 7876125)
Doc,
Could the bars be pulled down and closer to the rider so as to not interfere so much with the faring mirrors, I wonder if you could use the MOCO fairing mirrors that have the build in curved mirrors, they are a little wider, those you have look wider too. Are those speakers glowing? those are very cool, I need to get those too, WTF, it just never ends does it.

LOL nope never ends.

Those LED lights are from J&M cost $215.00 bucks. I have a friend who bought some rope light from Walmart for 6 bucks and it worked but does not look anywhere near as good as mine and I can change colors with a flick of a switch. hehe

As for the bars, yes, you could adjust so they lay flatter, which I attempted, problems were its not as comfortable, the stock size break line was to short and if you have internal wiring it's a problem when you try and adjust the handlebar switches cause the wire won't allow you to turn them too far from their intended/normal position.

Texas Fat Boy 02-05-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jg5884 (Post 7868797)
Thanks for the input. I have two questions that I would love to have answered from anyone that has the 575's. Does the height of the bar interfear with the visibility of the fairing mirrors at all and are the bars, too wide. Initially I'm looking for pull back only, if I can find such a bar.

About half the mirror is still usable with the fairing mirros. I never did like the fairing mirrors for vision, so I put on handle bar mounted mirrors.

They aren't to wide, in fact I really love the wider bars. It was a nice surprise for me.

porkchopsd 02-05-2011 10:35 PM

thanks doc, I haven't installed my bars yet, understand what you mean with the wires I am having a real problem with having to install mirrors on the bars, I love the look of the mirrors mounted to the faring, just flows right with the lines of the bike imo. looking at chrome front ends, don't know if I want to go with the hidden axle or not. nice problem to have.....

Flash62 02-06-2011 08:38 AM

I'm in the process of installing Wild Ones 575's now. I can already tell I'm going to love these bars!

badger34 02-06-2011 09:15 AM

xxxxx

Jg5884 02-06-2011 10:40 AM

Porkchopsd - where can I see those MOC mirrors? Going to try Khrome Werks 300315 and wild 1 wo575, next week, to see which bar feels better. Hopefully one will block the mirror less than the other, but comfort will ultimately rule. Seems like these are two of the most popular bars out there, although it appears the 575's are better quality. I don't know if I'll see much difference, since most of the bar is covered by the fairing.

aaazdaddy 02-09-2011 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by DocHarley (Post 7877001)
LOL nope never ends.

Those LED lights are from J&M cost $215.00 bucks. I have a friend who bought some rope light from Walmart for 6 bucks and it worked but does not look anywhere near as good as mine and I can change colors with a flick of a switch. hehe

As for the bars, yes, you could adjust so they lay flatter, which I attempted, problems were its not as comfortable, the stock size break line was to short and if you have internal wiring it's a problem when you try and adjust the handlebar switches cause the wire won't allow you to turn them too far from their intended/normal position.

Been looking at these for a while and about ready to pull the trigger and have them installed at the same time with my painted inner fairing. Don't have shorter than average arms, but would like to sit more upright and not slouch, as my lower back and shoulders ache and would like to lean back a little on my back rest (I've got it as forward as it can go and it is still not enough...). Think these will do the trick. Look pretty cool too...

I do NOT want to lay them flatter. That said, will all my stock wiring, cables work (2010 FLHTCU)?

DocHarley 02-09-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by aaazdaddy (Post 7895216)
Been looking at these for a while and about ready to pull the trigger and have them installed at the same time with my painted inner fairing. Don't have shorter than average arms, but would like to sit more upright and not slouch, as my lower back and shoulders ache and would like to lean back a little on my back rest (I've got it as forward as it can go and it is still not enough...). Think these will do the trick. Look pretty cool too...

I do NOT want to lay them flatter. That said, will all my stock wiring, cables work (2010 FLHTCU)?

On my 2010 FLHX, everything will reach except the clutch cable. I got one 4" longer.

Some people have stated they used the stock one but you will need to re-route and pull the hell out of it to work.

bmaier 02-09-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Flash62 (Post 7881516)
I'm in the process of installing Wild Ones 575's now. I can already tell I'm going to love these bars!

+++1, I have the 575's on my Ultra, one of the best mods for comfort!!! Can't comment to the fairing mounted mirrors but they work fantastic with the bar mounted mirrors

pappashelby 02-19-2011 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jg5884 (Post 7882034)
Porkchopsd - where can I see those MOC mirrors? Going to try Khrome Werks 300315 and wild 1 wo575, next week, to see which bar feels better. Hopefully one will block the mirror less than the other, but comfort will ultimately rule. Seems like these are two of the most popular bars out there, although it appears the 575's are better quality. I don't know if I'll see much difference, since most of the bar is covered by the fairing.

I have the 300315 and need a little more pullback. Do the 575's have the same (close) grip angle ?

Mixter 02-20-2011 12:14 AM

Anyone know if the Roland Sands Vintage Short Stacks would work on the Street Glide? Any pics?

brockjohnny 02-20-2011 02:04 PM

I have the ergo back bars and I have a couple of issues with them. The banjo bolt on the brake hits the bar which limits adjustment on brake lever. The wrist position is much flatter but uses up what ever pullback you gain. Cannot rotate bars down to gain more pullback as they hit the gas tank console. This is on a 2010 street glide. For me was a huge waste of $

Wonderbob 02-20-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mixter (Post 7942766)
Anyone know if the Roland Sands Vintage Short Stacks would work on the Street Glide? Any pics?

Great question I was going to ask the same thing!

lionsm13 02-20-2011 02:58 PM

Many have went to the Kromewerks sweepers +2, including myself.
Granted they are not the fat chubbies, (1.25 inch, fat bars) but your after market grips will fit better than they will on the chubbs.
On the clutch side you will have a space that due to the way the chubbies are made your grip on the clutch side will not slide on all the way..
The KW Sweepers have a more straight grip where as the chubbs are more like buckhorns as in curved back.
The KW's are $70 bux where as the chubbs are right at $200, so there you have it..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ld1-wo575.html

oldhippie 02-21-2011 08:13 PM

I am definitely going with the Wild-1 WO575. For my 07 ElectraGlide Classic.

The Wild-1 guys tell me I need to get a 4" extended cable for throttle, idle, brake and clutch, but that the wiring is okay.

Cany anyone confirm the need for these cables? Also, where's a good place to buy them?

hawwk 02-21-2011 09:55 PM

I just ordered the wild 1 575's from Dr.V Twin. There a sponsor on here. Getting the cables and everything from them. Also don't forget to get the new 1 piece clamp for your bars too. :icon_user:

porkchopsd 02-22-2011 12:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just got her back had the 575s, nostalgic grips, kuryakyn wide blade levers, diamond steel braided lines finally installed. Been saving and buying parts for months, rode all day and I love them, they feel like they have the same angles as the factory bars only pulled back 2 inches and up a couple of inches just the right combination for long haul comfort. With the stock bars my arms were almost completely extended in the spot I was most comfortable riding so I found myself leaning forward or slouching over and if I wanted to lean back on a drivers back rest my arms would have been uncomfortably extended with no way to make a sudden turn. With my new bars being closer my arms are bent perfect at the elbow even when leaning back, you can see how they pull back in the first pic, the second one just shows how clean and thick they look :D Whether you install yourself or have someone install the bars, take a dremmel with a stone attachment and deburr the edges of the holes where the wires run, make it smooth, I think they punch the whole out rather than cutting it which leaves it sharp, you or the person who runs the wires will appreciate the attention to this detail.

Attachment 168257

Attachment 168258

flyingace 02-22-2011 12:42 AM

I swear, I think Im going to have a set of bars custom made. Looked at all the choices, none of them are quite right. Biggest problem being the stock ones are REALLY close to what I want, and all the others are too much change.

I just want an inch or two back, and inch higher, and a SLIGHTLY straiter wrist angle.

Ergo bars look TOO strait to me. Sweepers are probably the closest, but from what I have read, sit too low. (I have my stockers rotated as far up as they can go) HD pullbacks are like wheelbarrow handles.

And ALL of them for some reason, seem to feel the need to be 3-5" wider. ??? Don't need or want any more width (and inch or two would be ok, but not more than that.

Wish Yaffe made a set of 8-9" monkey bars.

Im seriously consider a custom made set.

Jg5884 02-24-2011 08:33 PM

Totally agree with you flyingace. I just want to go back, nothing else to change. Just now recovering from a fight with an SUV. Bike is being rebuilt(10k of damage) and I can't ride for another 6 weeks. Miss my Glide.

mike1158 02-24-2011 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by flyingace (Post 7952354)
I swear, I think Im going to have a set of bars custom made. Looked at all the choices, none of them are quite right. Biggest problem being the stock ones are REALLY close to what I want, and all the others are too much change.

I just want an inch or two back, and inch higher, and a SLIGHTLY straiter wrist angle.

Ergo bars look TOO strait to me. Sweepers are probably the closest, but from what I have read, sit too low. (I have my stockers rotated as far up as they can go) HD pullbacks are like wheelbarrow handles.

And ALL of them for some reason, seem to feel the need to be 3-5" wider. ??? Don't need or want any more width (and inch or two would be ok, but not more than that.

Wish Yaffe made a set of 8-9" monkey bars.

Im seriously consider a custom made set.

you MIGHT just be able to have your wish. I think (pretty sure) i remember either reading on Yaffe's web site , or it may have been in an e-mail from them that they can make Monkeys in custom sizes. the straight vertical section of the bars can be cut down without changing any of the other characteristics of the bars... i'm sure it will add to lead time (and most likely cost) but nice to be able to have a wish come true.....

..oh and by the way I want a set of custom bars too !!.... i want a set of Black Wild 1 577s...only 2" lower and probably about 2" more narrow..... i TOTALLY feel where you're coming from

harley0711 02-25-2011 12:39 AM

Been on this forum for a few years now, interesting how this question keeps coming up.. very good answers - try the search button on top and you will have HOURS of reading - LOTS of answers - Both seats and Bars - what works for one may not work for another and I have learned that to get it right - bars and seat have to work together for the best fit. Good luck on your search

carltex 02-25-2011 01:46 AM

I've got an '06 so I'm going with the KW 300505 bars. Have everything done except the tranny end of the clutch cable. I like the wrist angle of these bars. The stock bar angle was killing my right elbow. I was looking to just be able to sit up a little straighter at as cheap of price as possible. I got the bars, clutch cable, and bar clamp from Zanottis for $135 shipped. Had to bend the shit out of my brake line to get it to fit but finally got it.

HoleShotChoppers 02-25-2011 02:44 AM

I have 16" tbars on mine. Some comfy and better control. Took out factory.radio and added an amp that would make my mp3s get real loud! Never listened to radio, just cd'$

jjnoble 02-25-2011 04:33 AM

the chubby 575 are great, as long as you do not move your seat back at all, if you do sit back farther than stock, I would go with the chubby 577.

Keep in mind if you ever want to install the heat demon grip warmers they will not work in the chubby's. You have to ream the bars out a bit and that is not easy to do with the hole and the slot in them. I really wanted those heat demons, but had to give up on them because I could not find a way to ream out those bars.

Cheech2010FLHTK 02-25-2011 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by harley0711 (Post 7966750)
Been on this forum for a few years now, interesting how this question keeps coming up.. very good answers - try the search button on top and you will have HOURS of reading - LOTS of answers - Both seats and Bars - what works for one may not work for another and I have learned that to get it right - bars and seat have to work together for the best fit. Good luck on your search

+1 once I swapped the bars and seat on my Rk I could ride all day and not feel the lower back strain I had prior. And the search feature can have you reading for days with some subjects

bigdumbnoitall00 02-25-2011 06:20 PM

flanders is another bar maker worth checking out,they dindt do it for me but......

carltex 04-15-2011 04:47 AM

Got my sweeper bars put on but I'm having fits with the clutch cable. Installed per the manual and even redid it yesterday and the stupid thing is sticky. Even went to the dealer and got some of the lube they recommend. When I let out on the clutch it will stick and lurch when it finally engages. Think I may put the stock one back on and reroute it for now until I can get another cable. It is the harley cable for bikes with side cars +4 I think. anyone have a better cable recommendation?

Overdoo 04-15-2011 07:38 PM

Handlebars

Originally Posted by Jg5884 (Post 7868797)

I have the 575's and I love them. I rotated mine down. I got a little more reach and out of the way of the mirror view. I lowered them so I just see the top of my hands. Great riding position and wrist angle. Very comfortable!!

Tn.Heritage 04-16-2011 07:08 AM

I guess I'm the odd man out, I have the HD touring pull back bars on my SG, this is my 2nd set, I also had them on my Electraglide, to me they are the perfect bar, I can still use the stock mirrows with ease and they are 3 back I beleive.