Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DILEMMA HARLEY or YAMAHA

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:37 PM
FirstHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DILEMMA HARLEY or YAMAHA

Had metrics for 35 years.Bought my new Ultra this year and thought "man,should have switched years ago".

Old 10-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have to ask that question then get a BMW K 1200 LT.

[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 10-05-2006, 06:17 PM
ezglider
Cruiser

Being a Harley Davidson forum of course you're only going to get one opinion here. It just so happens to be the right one so you're in luck. If you're seriously in the market, and the difference in price between the Harley and the Yamahog is a mere $3k, then it's really a no-brainer. I'd say it's actually a $5k difference once you take into consideration the stage 1 kit, exhaust, PCIII and other various upgrades you'll probably want to do almost immediately. If you look at it a year or so down the road however, you'll see that your Harley has depreciated far less than the Yamaha so in a sense you never really lost that $5k you put into the bike. If you buy the metric you saved $3k up front but you've lost a lot more than that in depreciation. This is how I justified the extra cost to my wife .

Old 10-05-2006, 06:45 PM
FromTheDirt
Stage IV

...I agree, you will make up the difference in price at time of resale. Nobody buys a Harley because it is the fastest, most technological machine available. A Harley is not just a motorcycle, it's a piece of Americana and that's part of what you are paying for.

1) If you can't handle the little noises a HD makes then don't get one.
2) If you are not done with sport-riding don't get one. They are strictly cruisers.

Most Important: Rent a few different models before you buy.

FTD

Old 10-05-2006, 06:48 PM
sortasuave
Tourer

I've had a yammaha and now have an 07 SG. I put 21K on the yamaha in the time I had it and never had any issues with it. I would highly suggest that you ride both and see which fits you better. Cost is clearly not an issue for you, so I would not worry too much about what the bike will be worth in the end. The real question here is, what fits your riding and lifestyle better. One thing I would point out to you is if you plan on doing lots of upgrades to the bike, then there is no comparison. The HD will win every time. For me, that was a huge selling point.

good luck with your decision!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I currently own a '06 Street Glide. My last bike was a '06 Yamaha Road Star Silverado. After 4 months and 5000 miles I traded it for my Harley .
The Yamaha never gave me a bit of trouble. It performed great but every time I rode it I wished it were a harley. I actually had a Harley license plate holder on it and wore a Harley "Bone Yard" helmet. Talk about being a Harley wanna-be! I tried to save money by buying the Yamaha but in the end it cost me a fortune, lost 2k on the trade. Now heres the thing, my SG drives me crazy, still searching for the proper tune (that damn EPA!) but guess what, I wouldn't trade that thing for anything, I love it! I feel so good when I'm on it, it's a feeling I was never able to experience with the Yamaha.
My advice; go with the Harley, you'll never regret it.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:15 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you kidding me ? A yamaha ? maybe if you want a dirt bike . Funny question you cant be serious........
H-D OR NOTHING

Old 10-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Streetrunner

I currently own a '06 Street Glide. My last bike was a '06 Yamaha Road Star Silverado. After 4 months and 5000 miles I traded it for my Harley .
The Yamaha never gave me a bit of trouble. It performed great but every time I rode it I wished it were a harley. I actually had a Harley license plate holder on it and wore a Harley "Bone Yard" helmet. Talk about being a Harley wanna-be! I tried to save money by buying the Yamaha but in the end it cost me a fortune, lost 2k on the trade. Now heres the thing, my SG drives me crazy, still searching for the proper tune (that damn EPA!) but guess what, I wouldn't trade that thing for anything, I love it! I feel so good when I'm on it, it's a feeling I was never able to experience with the Yamaha.
My advice; go with the Harley, you'll never regret it.
You might want to try a differnt dyno tuner, if the guy running the dyno knew what he was doing you should not have any issues.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Cache
Tourer

[color=#3300CC]And what they said...plus you'll get more a$$ with a HD.

The Venture riders want HD's but try to save money and buy a look a like knock off bike....similiar in looks...

.....but just not a HD. No matter how much you spend in accessories.

Just buy the HD and be done.

I went from a Vulcan Nomad-Valkyrie-1500 Goldwing----to the Ultra Classic-'06!

Each time..what I really wanted was a HD. So I bought a bike that looked like a HD. All those bike mimic a HD but will never be a HD.

How much did I save.....nada! Save time and money now and buy the HD!

Just my .02.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Easyglide
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No use repeating what's been already said.

Back in the summer, I traded in my Honda VTX 1300 (was a good bike) and purchased an Electra Glide Classic. Put 17000 miles on the Honda. Developed a wobble I could not get remedied so I traded it in on the Harley.

I find myself going out to the garage on a regular basis just to admire it.

Don't remember doing that very often with the Honda.

Quick Reply: DILEMMA HARLEY or YAMAHA