Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding after knee replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 PM
jvvjvv
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the physical therapy!!! Important big time!!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 PM
CasaWolves
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by KutenFLHX
I am scheduled to go in for a total knee replacement of my right knee next month and was wondering if any of you have had experience with a replacement and getting back on a bike after it is done. Hoping to get some idea as to how long it will be before I can get back on the bike, how your surgery went and how much better your knee is now. I want to get back on the bike as soon as possible (as soon as it warms up and the snow melts here). I'm hoping that I can get "back in the saddle" after a couple months (around May 1) of therapy.
Thanks.
Can I ride your bike while you recuperate?

Buddy of mine had a complete rebuild, hes even equipped with a plastic knee cap. He was riding about 9 months afterwards

Old 02-02-2011, 10:45 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Had my right knee done 2 years ago, was off the bike for 2 months and totally pain free in about a year

Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had my Right knee done in May 2010,was riding the bike in July. Wasn't supposed to, but I figured it was even strong with titanium in it therapy was a bitch, but you've got to work hard to get it straing and at a minimum a 90 degree bend. I still do rehab exercise and light squats. My knee is supposed to last 20 years, which should about do it for me The only problem I have is I can't dismount the way I used to. Everytime I try I wind up kicking the speaker or passengers seat. For a while I just stepped on the right floorboard and got on, that worked great, but now it's bending. Do any of you Idea Engineers know of something I could weld on the bottom of the right side frame to use a a stirrup? Say a piece of flat iron or some type of spike? give me some ideas.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
This thread just caught my eye. I was in a motorcycle accident in May 2010...was hit from behind my another bike. I just had my 6th left knee surgery thanks to the accident (had 5 previous before accident). My surgeon is telling me my knee needs replacing because there is nothing left and the cartilage is starting to shred off the bone. At the ripe old age of 39 I am concerned about longevity because the replacements only last so long. I'm looking into some options right now.
I was told that the replacement knees last 20+ years now. I too am only 39 and need it replaced because of all the problems I've had with it over the years. The other knee needs to replaced in a couple years partly due to the accident 18 months ago. I hope your surgeries go well and you get your knee working well soon without more surgery.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:55 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Aint no doc here but figurin riding is going to be a whole lot easier than walkin.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:48 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told that the replacement knees last 20+ years now. I too am only 39 and need it replaced because of all the problems I've had with it over the years. The other knee needs to replaced in a couple years partly due to the accident 18 months ago. I hope your surgeries go well and you get your knee working well soon without more surgery.
I was told the same thing...that they will last around 20 years. I was also told as the activity level goes up the life expectancy comes down proportionally and someone very active could expect 15 years or maybe even less. It all dpends on the activity level. The breakdown is the plastic piece in the middle and where the implant attaches to the bone (the cement will break down). I'm just trying to be realistic and look ahead. There is a newer procedure out called a Makoplasty. This uses a robotic arm to remove the bone insted of just cutting the end off. Less bone material is removed so if later on there is a failure or something wears out there is still enogh bone left. My physical therapist has seen some patients and reaaly thinks this is promising. I'm going to be checking into this procedure.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:28 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Got my knee replaced 3 weeks ago and am so far on track to being able to ride again come the start of May. My knee feels a lot better already and that is with a bit of swelling. Just doing my physical therapy and icing it as needed and I plan to be back in the saddle soon.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Good deal. Sounds like your on the right road to riding...or recovery as the docs would say

Old 03-23-2011, 08:07 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 216 Posts

My wife had hers done at 45 ( last year ) she rides her own. And was back on her bike in 2.5 months.

With your age expect to not move along as fast as the older folks you will take PT with. (1st week or so) but after that you will far exceed whT they are able to do.

She was told this up front, but still felt like a wuss when she was in with the other older patients. As many others said, do the excersizes and you will be glad you did it.

Quick Reply: Riding after knee replacement